Asyulus

INCREDIBLES 2 Weekend |🏆| ACTUALS: 182.7M OW | O8 19M, Tag 14.9M, Solo 10M, DP2 8.7M, IW 5.4M

15 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yeah sorry but you don’t have a 14 year wait between the first film and a sequel after years of people clamoring for one and not have it be more frontloaded than usual.

It's hard to say, though.

It is certainly possible Incredibles 2 is more frontloaded than your typical Pixar film in terms of legs (I wouldn't be surprised). Incredibles 2's opening weekend will be inflated somewhat by Father's Day Sunday and its huge preview gross. So, you may very well be right.

And yet Pixar's previous films that were their highest grossing openers, Toy Story 3 (second largest animated opening weekend of all-time when it opened) and Finding Dory (current record holder of largest animated opening weekend of all-time) had strong 3.76 and 3.60 multipliers, respectively. And those were both follow ups to much adored originals/franchises after many years. Dory was the record holder for animated preview gross (with a large $9.2M, before Incredibles 2's giant $18.5M usurped it), so it was clearly anticipated as well. And Dory, in particular, faced a $100M+ opening animated film as competition in its fourth weekend. 

Time will tell... will be fun to follow the run. :) 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

giphy.gif

===

I mean, JW was justifiably famous for walkups, sure.  So it still has some hope.  And it's not like it's bombing overseas like a film dear to my heart I could mention but won't.

But...

Well you might be right.  But I still would think I would see some sign of stronger pre-sales, if only at the better theaters in town.  

But I've been wrong on movies many times this year, so just take my comments as worries/concerns and not proclamations from on high. ;)

Hot damn. Porthos not looking on the bright side of a movie's box office potential? Shit just got real. 

FK sub 100m on OW confirmed. 

• Haha 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Hot damn. Porthos not looking on the bright side of a movie's box office potential? Shit just got real. 

FK sub 100m on OW confirmed. 

Solo broke Porthos :( 

• Sad 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I've been pessimistic on/concerned about plenty of movies, MM89.  Many times to my detriment. :lol:

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

TFA was during a holiday and absolutely none of the other ones are good comps to how awaited I2 was lmao.  I mean seriously, Black Panther and Avatar???  Dark Knight had a 3 year wait, how the fuck is that anywhere close to the 14 years it took until I2 came out?  FD and TS3 were both “unnecessary sequels,” I imagine there were some people who were on the fence about how they would turn out and wanted to wait to see how they were received before seeing it.  Avengers was highly anticipated by hardcore comic book fans I guess, but that made up a small percentage of ticket buyers let’s be real.

Avatar was definitely highly hyped up years before release.  Its OW was actually diluted because of a major snowstorm.  There was a ton of focus on what Cameron as doing next after Titanic.  TFA still had great legs for a holiday release, so I fail to see your point there.  And for I2, it's pretty much the same case as TA in that regards, there's been a vocal base screaming for a sequel, but I reckon a good portion didn't care until they knew it was happening.

Hell, Infinity War right now is having much better legs than most of us had predicted, some of the best legs out of MCU releases, and that movie was 10 years of build up.

If there was major frontloading then we should see it within its internal multiplier, like you would in a Star Wars film, not necessarily its external one.  External multipliers are almost always determined by a mixture of genre, competition and reception.  All three of those things work in I2's favor when it comes to legs.

It sounds more like you're trying to talk yourself into I2 being close to whatever your original predict was.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

No one really "asked" for TS3 either if y'all recall. Didn't stop a huge OW at the time and great legs. 

And that’s exactly why i don’t buy the “TS3 was the perfect ending and no one asked for TS4, so it will drop a lot” argument...

Yeah, TS3 have a perfect ending to Andy’s arc, TS4 is not necessary and no one really asked for it... but it’s still Toy Story, one of the most beloved franchises of all time, it’s been 9 years since the last movie, when they start the marketing, nostalgia will kick in and People will get excited about it... if Pixar delivered in quality, i think $ 500M DOM is totally possible for TS4

1 minute ago, The Incredible Panda said:

It sounds more like you're trying to talk yourself into I2 being close to whatever your original predict was.

one of us made a club saying it was gonna be the highest grossing film of the year.  the other one did not.

if anything it seems to me like you’re trying to talk yourself into this having phenomenal legs and getting to that mark when there’s really no real reason for it to get them.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Shouldn't we wait for the opening day numbers at least before talking about how much of lock 600-800mil is?

I hope it holds extremely well with second weekend heading 100mil then it’s definitely lock. Let’s see how it does this weekend.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

And that’s exactly why i don’t buy the “TS3 was the perfect ending and no one asked for TS4, so it will drop a lot” argument...

Yeah, TS3 have a perfect ending to Andy’s arc, TS4 is not necessary and no one really asked for it... but it’s still Toy Story, one of the most beloved franchises of all time, it’s been 9 years since the last movie, when they start the marketing, nostalgia will kick in and People will get excited about it... if Pixar delivered in quality, i think $ 500M DOM is totally possible for TS4

Yeah, I'm completely with you on your point here. Except not on TS4 maybe hitting 500 DOM. It should be able to, but the ridiculous scheduling next summer will stop it (Aladdin, SLOP2, and TS4 are all within weeks of each other, and then TLK). The 300 predictions I see floating around for it are silly though, with the exception of some tragic WOM. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I wish I could claim Star Wars (during its original run) was the first movie I remember seeing in theaters as a child. Alas, it was one of these two Disney films, I'm just not sure which one as I remember seeing both. Star Wars was third.

the-apple-dumpling-gang-1975-movie-still image_2bf518be.jpeg

I believe mine was 

escapetowitchmountain08.jpg

My dad fell asleep at the drive-in taking me to see Star Wars the first time.

• Like 2

I saw Hereditary on the big screen (I'd seen an unfinished cut a few months ago) and it was a packed house. You could tell the audience's patience was being tried at times, and they were confused at other times, but they were scared as fuck during certain key scenes. 

• Like 2