sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - JW: $60.91M - I2: 46.42M - Sicario: $19.00M - Uncle Drew: $15.24M

8 minutes ago, a2k said:

that would be another 60% drop. ant-man2 won't cause that much damage imo. i2 will take a hit as a cbm if anything.

I think 51-54% drop for jw2 for 27-29 3rd weekend is likely (using 59 2nd weekend vs 60 that uni is reporting).

I think both movies are probably in for a big hit with Ant-Man 2 opening...Jurassic World due to lost screens (both PLF and regular ones) and I2 also from screen loss (my 12s have triple booked both of these movies so far in their runs - I doubt the 2 movies will hold 6 full screens next weekend)...add in the serious overlap in the audience base between the new big opener and both these movies, and it's a recipe for a bigger drop than expected...

Maybe not 60% (although I won't rule it out yet)...but for those hoping for a "recovery" 3rd weekend after the normal 2nd big drop...I wouldn't be too optimistic...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's going to lose it's PLF and IMAX screens

Still Homecoming faced 3 major wide releases and lost IMAX and PLFs on it’s third weekend, sure the competition is tougher but it has Fourth of July weekdays to make up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, a2k said:

that would be another 60% drop. ant-man2 won't cause that much damage imo. i2 will take a hit as a cbm if anything.

I think 51-54% drop for jw2 for 27-29 3rd weekend is likely (using 59 2nd weekend vs 60 that uni is reporting).

Not saying it’ll happen but I’m assuming JW2 will get hit more than I2, simply because it’s losing its IMAX and PLF screens. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Still Homecoming faced 3 major wide releases and lost IMAX and PLFs on it’s third weekend, sure the competition is tougher but it has Fourth of July weekdays to make up.

Yea but if im not mistaken Homecoming lost some of those screens when Planet of the Apes came out so the blow was softened when it’s third weekend came along. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, boxofficeth said:

With Ocean's 8 sexy legs, Ocean's 9 and 10 should be under way to make it another trilogy.

Ending with the ultimate crisis crossover, Ocean's 23.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

@CJohn....don't see JWFK dropping a Genisys like 60% in the third weekend due to Ant-Man.  WOM is certainly mixed, not horrible.  

It loses PLFs and IMAX plus most of 3D screens. Ant-Man is direct competition as well. It is gonna drop hard, IMO.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

It loses PLFs and IMAX plus most of 3D screens. Ant-Man is direct competition as well. It is gonna drop hard, IMO.

I'm aware of all of that.  But it's not going to drop 60%, imo.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Nova said:

Not saying it’ll happen but I’m assuming JW2 will get hit more than I2, simply because it’s losing its IMAX and PLF screens. 

55 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think both movies are probably in for a big hit with Ant-Man 2 opening...Jurassic World due to lost screens (both PLF and regular ones) and I2 also from screen loss (my 12s have triple booked both of these movies so far in their runs - I doubt the 2 movies will hold 6 full screens next weekend)...add in the serious overlap in the audience base between the new big opener and both these movies, and it's a recipe for a bigger drop than expected...

Maybe not 60% (although I won't rule it out yet)...but for those hoping for a "recovery" 3rd weekend after the normal 2nd big drop...I wouldn't be too optimistic...

Solo dropped 36.5% i it's 4th weekend when I2 opened and Solo lost big screens and took a huge hit in theater count.

Jun 15–17 4 $10,001,056 -36.5% 3,182 -1,153 $3,143 $193,765,143 4

- FD Sunday helped temper the drop

- It was the 4th weekend vs JW2'S 3rd next week.

Even accounting for these 2 points sub-55% drop seems more likely for JW2 next week than 60% odd.

For me it has very little to do with Ant-Man and JW2 sharing the same audience. I mean DP2 shared an audience (supposedly) with JW2 and yet it had one of the better drops in the top 10 against that film. 

I dont think JW2 will drop 60% but I think its drop is going to be worse than most are expecting only because it’s losing its IMAX and PLF screens. If it wasn’t I’d say a 45% drop would happen but because it is I’m gonna say a drop around 55% may happen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a2k said:

Solo dropped 36.5% i it's 4th weekend when I2 opened and Solo lost big screens and took a huge hit in theater count.

Jun 15–17 4 $10,001,056 -36.5% 3,182 -1,153 $3,143 $193,765,143 4

- FD Sunday helped temper the drop

- It was the 4th weekend vs JW2'S 3rd next week.

Even accounting for these 2 points sub-55% drop seems more likely for JW2 next week than 60% odd.

Were people even watching Solo in IMAX or on PLF? 🤔 I mean people were barely watching it in 2D. I can’t say the same (thankfully) for JW2 :ph34r:

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1