sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - JW: $60.91M - I2: 46.42M - Sicario: $19.00M - Uncle Drew: $15.24M

Wow, I went and saw Won't You Be My Neighbor? this afternoon and missed some fun.

1.  Better to be cold.  You can always put on sweaters and wrap up in blankets.

2.  The Third Act of Wonder Woman *is* trash.  It's such a letdown compared to the Beach Battle and No Man's Land.  It almost feels like Synder directed it instead of Jenkins.  Such a hot mess.  I also found it incredibly disappointing they didn't use the original ending of George Perez's Gods and Mortals (the comic that the movie was based on).  I wish they'd kept the nonviolent means of how Diana defeats Ares.  I think it would've sent such a powerful message that even though Diana had the means to kill/harm Ares, she purposely rose above violence to find a peaceful way to end the conflict.  That would've been truly heroic.

3.  I will never stop talking about Wonder Woman.  True love of my life.  

4.  Won't You Be My Neighbor? is a revelation.  I truly feel that everyone should watch it.  (It's short, it's only 96 minutes.)  Hopefully the film can be one last lesson from Mr. Rogers: that in a deeply troubling world the act of kindness can be a radical form of both resistance and healing.  The part that struck me the most was how every word of his show was carefully constructed to say exactly what he wanted to say; and to say it in the most gentle, most dignified way possible.  It didn't matter if you were talking to an adult or a child.  How we talk to each other matters.  We can not have a true dialogue with one other if our speech originates from a place of darkness and venom.  It was so simple and so obvious, yet while watching the documentary it felt so radical.  Like how have we lost this? Or did we never have it, and Fred Rogers is just proof that not all superheroes wear capes?  

Edited by captainwondyful
say not stay
  • Like 14

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I saw two movies today.  Hotel Transylvania 3 was fine.  I liked it well enough.

Won't You Be My Neighbor? is so fucking good and I want everyone here to drop what they're doing right now and go see it because it's the best and it's wonderful.  I bawled my eyes out.  10 out of fucking 10.

That's what my mom said, too...

18 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I wish they'd kept the nonviolent means of how Diana defeats Ares.  I think it would've sent such a powerful message that even though Diana had the means to kill/harm Ares, she purposely rose above violence to find a peaceful way to end the conflict.  That would've been truly heroic.

What was this? I'm not familiar with the original story.

Are you guys being hyperbolic about wont you be my neighbor? The theater that I like to go to with recliners already dropped it, so I would have to go out of my way to see it. Is it worth it?

Edited by YLF

1 hour ago, KJsooner said:

In the 90’s? Try hundreds bc that’s what we’ve had. 

I know. I’ve been hundreds. If there’s no humidity then it’s tolerable to me. Try 98 with 70% humidity and the sun beating down on you. You literally walk outside and start burning up and sweating without doing anything lol. 

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

What was this? I'm not familiar with the original story.

In the original story, the setting is 1987 at the height of the Cold War.  Ares' plan is to set off all the nuclear weapons that the USSR/USA has.  In their final confrontation, Diana uses the Lasso of Truth to force Ares to see the error of committing global genocide: if he kills everyone, he will no longer have any followers/worshippers, and therefore he will no longer have any power.  She appeals to his hubris and uses that to defeat him.  It's way more cerebral.  I get why they wouldn't do that in an action movie.  I just really wish they had.   

Edited by captainwondyful
appeals not applies, i am just full of typos tonight
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Shut the fuck up about Wonder Woman and go see the FANTASTIC AND AMAZING Mr. Rogers documentary that's out in theaters now

I would if it was in a theater anywhere near me. :whosad:

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

In the original story, the setting is 1987 at the height of the Cold War.  Ares' plan is to set off all the nuclear weapons that the USSR/USA has.  In their final confrontation, Diana uses the Lasso of Truth to force Ares to see the error of committing global genocide: if he kills everyone, he will no longer have any followers/worshippers, and therefore he will no longer have any power.  She applies to his hubris and uses that to defeat him.  It's way more cerebral.  I get why they wouldn't do that in an action movie.  I just really wish they had.   

I assume this works better in the comic, but seeing it just written out like that in a single paragraph it seems pretty silly that this wouldn’t have occurred to Ares before.

40 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Wow, I went and saw Won't You Be My Neighbor? this afternoon and missed some fun.

1.  Better to be cold.  You can always put on sweaters and wrap up in blankets.

2.  The Third Act of Wonder Woman *is* trash.  It's such a letdown compared to the Beach Battle and No Man's Land.  It almost feels like Synder directed it instead of Jenkins.  Such a hot mess.  I also found it incredibly disappointing they didn't use the original ending of George Perez's Gods and Mortals (the comic that the movie was based on).  I wish they'd kept the nonviolent means of how Diana defeats Ares.  I think it would've sent such a powerful message that even though Diana had the means to kill/harm Ares, she purposely rose above violence to find a peaceful way to end the conflict.  That would've been truly heroic.

Literally said this like a few pages ago but I swear to god that’s what the fight with Ares felt like. I’m just imagining Snyder pushing Jenkins out of the director’s chair and directing that part himself lol 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Fox News calling Mr. Rogers evil is perhaps the strongest case for him being the nicest man who ever lived

WTF he was a conservative I think, too? I didnt watch the video but thats ridiculous. 

13 minutes ago, YLF said:

Are you guys being hyperbolic about wont you be my neighbor? The theater that I like to go to with recliners already dropped it, so I would have to go out of my way to see it. Is it worth it?

It's absolutely worth it.  No hyperbole.

The documentary's like a warm sweater, for sure.  Mr. Rogers is exactly the man that you remember (if you are old enough to have watched the show).  The documentary strives to figure out what made him tick, and why the show endured.  It also feels incredibly topical.  

• Like 5