The Wild Eric

Little Women | December 25 2019 | Sony | Greta Gerwig directs | 24th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

This was just lovely! Brilliant cast all around, a real shame it didn't get the SAG nod but I'm glad the movie exists, whether it gets awards love or not. My only quibble is finding Florence Pugh too old to play the scenes where Amy is younger and still a child in the story, though it worked with the structure of the film. I never would have thought of telling Little Women that way and it makes me interested in what Gerwig will bring to the Barbie movie. Back to LW, it was fun to hear the audience reactions of people surprised by the different story developments. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

This was just lovely! Brilliant cast all around, a real shame it didn't get the SAG nod but I'm glad the movie exists, whether it gets awards love or not. My only quibble is finding Florence Pugh too old to play the scenes where Amy is younger and still a child in the story, though it worked with the structure of the film. I never would have thought of telling Little Women that way and it makes me interested in what Gerwig will bring to the Barbie movie. Back to LW, it was fun to hear the audience reactions of people surprised by the different story developments. 

Glad to hear there are "different story developments". A few people in my circles have expressed interest in seeing this but they also want to know if there's going to be anything unique or new brought to the table.

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Glad to hear there are "different story developments". A few people in my circles have expressed interest in seeing this but they also want to know if there's going to be anything unique or new brought to the table.

I was talking more about the people who clearly weren't familiar with LW already, like when

Spoiler

Amy burned Jo's manuscript, there were gasps.

The movie sticks to the basics of LW, not entirely, the biggest deviation from the other versions is the way that the story is told. Anecdotally, I wonder if that aspect will work with younger people and/or the easily confused.  The 1994 version definitely appealed to middle schoolers and as a book had many fans that age. I overheard a couple of preteens as I left my screening, they liked some things but were unsure about others. Oh well, makes it harder for kids to use the movie to get by on tests/book reports, lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I was talking more about the people who clearly weren't familiar with LW already, like when

Reveal hidden contents

The movie sticks to the basics of LW, not entirely, the biggest deviation from the other versions is the way that the story is told. Anecdotally, I wonder if that aspect will work with younger people and/or the easily confused.  The 1994 version definitely appealed to middle schoolers and as a book had many fans that age. I overheard a couple of preteens as I left my screening, they liked some things but were unsure about others. Oh well, makes it harder for kids to use the movie to get by on tests/book reports, lol.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

• Like 1