Eric the Fall Guy

Little Women | December 25 2019 | Sony | Greta Gerwig directs | 24th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

6 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

They have been screening this movie since early November. It even got some acne Nas at the globe so I think enough people have seen it to just don't think it's award-worthy. This will probably be like Pride and Prejudice. 

I think that, atm, Bombshell is stealing LW's thunder as the feminist movie of the year. At least with current awards. That you liken it to P&P might help it with BAFTA where they love pettycoat dramas and probably don't care about Fox News. 

So lets see what DGA, PGA (where it's likely going to pop up due to 10 spots) and BAFTA say. The latter could give a boost to Ronan/Pugh at least for they like to support actors from Britain and Ireland. 

Edited by Valonqar

I'll post more in the Review thread when it opens but just wanted to say that this is one of the best literary adaptations I've seen in a while, maintaining the spirit of the book but also offering a fresh spin on the material through the visual language and a non-linear narrative structure. I was slightly concerned that Gerwig's take would feel a little too modern in regards to the dialogue, but her script captures Alcott's prose wonderfully while sprinkling it with the sharp wit and dynamism present in her previous screenwriting and directorial efforts.

And the entire cast, as expected, are absolutely superb, but her performance in this movie just solidified my view that 2019 is Florence Pugh's year.

I'm not sure if non-readers of the original text will get as much of a thrill out of this as those who are familiar with the original text, but it's such an endearing film that I find it hard to imagine someone walking out of the theater displeased. It's another great 2019 movie but also caps off a solid year for female filmmakers (this, Booksmart, Portrait of a Lady on Fire and The Farewell are all contenders for my top 10 of the year).

Edited by gadd

Watson ditches LW or LW ditches Watson? :thinking:

I mena, it's possible she has scheduling conflict but for what? For exmaple, Adam Driver's absence from TROS promo circuit except for must-attend stuff (press conference, premiere) has receipts aplenty (Marriage Story camapign trail). So we'll see about Watson. I really hope it isn't a rift for having Gerwig on your resume is terrific even for a nothing role like Meg March. 

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Watson ditches LW or LW ditches Watson? :thinking:

I mena, it's possible she has scheduling conflict but for what? For exmaple, Adam Driver's absence from TROS promo circuit except for must-attend stuff (press conference, premiere) has receipts aplenty (Marriage Story camapign trail). So we'll see about Watson. I really hope it isn't a rift for having Gerwig on your resume is terrific even for a nothing role like Meg March. 

Yeah, it doesn't appear Watson is filming anything else and obviously she has time to publicize hanging with her old HP friends. Promoting Little Women with three of the four March Sisters is awkward. I can't see how the absence of EW would be the studio's idea, unless she made some sort of exorbitant demands to do PR. It's generally part of the contract for a prestige studio movie like this.

The reviews for the movie are excellent. I mean, no one in a press junket would ask Watson anything like, "So, does it bother you that Saoirse and Timothee and Florence are getting the standout notices from the younger cast?" This is a beloved story done well, the press tour would be maybe inane at times but kind to its stars. Even if she and Sersh did not get on, they could just arrange things so she mostly appears with Eliza or Florence, or however you needed to juggle the cast around.

Maybe it will turn out EW's absence is down to some sort of health issue where she has to limit travel, or part of some "media tours are bad for the climate" stance she will reveal at a later date, but for now it is not the best look.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Exactly.  Plus, no matter who gets the praise (LW book has always been Jo show with Amy a close second so it sin't like she was fooled to believe Meg was the star) , it;s good to be associated with a successful movie. So rather bizarre development. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

However you sliced it, it's just bizarre that Watson isn't in the press tour. Yeah sure she could have it on her contract to not to do press but really why would she? She is the most famous person of the young cast but it's not like she is some huge star that has ton of others projects and no time for that movie. it would make sense for Meryl Streep to refuse to do press for it but Watson? It's the only notable thing she has done in the last two years why hide from it?

And the other side that Greta hates her or the studio hates her doesn't make much sense either. She doesn't have standout reviews but she isn't panned either. LW isn't an indie, it's a studio movie with substantial budget. Even if everyone hated it each other, they would shut up and play happy family until the movie is out of theatres. Not because of contracts but because it's good for their careers.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Joel M said:

However you sliced it, it's just bizarre that Watson isn't in the press tour. Yeah sure she could have it on her contract to not to do press but really why would she?

Coz maybe she and her team decided Meg is a good enough role to get in order to be attached/appear in LW but not worth the hassle of touring and doing the press rounds as there are other actors with more stand out roles who will be the centre of attention anyway.

Her fanbase knows she's in the film. She doesn't really need the publicity especially when the media won't even shut up about a single innocent comment in an interview like the 'self-partnered' thing, giving her free exposure for weeks. 

Also, Watson being Watson is more interested in promoting the original book and literacy so she is raising awareness in her own way.

It's seriously amazing that while her co-stars have to answer the same old boring press questions, she's busy writing secret notes in LW copies and hiding them all over London. 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Thanks 1

tbh all three Harry Potter leads are pretty wholesome. Its nice they are seemingly nice people. Shame Rowling has gone off the deep edge but c'est la vie.

I may check this movie out for the cast. Although there are multiple adaptations I havent read the book or seen any of them.