WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I never followed Purge series but, wow, this is a big drop, though who cares cause budget is 13M. But the first one only had 3M budget and opened twice as high. 

This is the fourth movie.  I guess sequelitis is kicking in.  I thought this was going to do 80-90 million, with the relevance to Trump and all, but I guess there's only so much  you can do with a film like The Purge.  It should hit 60 million domestic without breaking a sweat.  

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Leave No Trace had a 11.5k PTA. Disobedience had 9.9k in 6 fewer theaters during its second weekend, so this can probably hit 4-5M.

Disobedience's PTA also dropped like 80% while this is just over 50%. Given that LNT is a PG-rated presumably audience-friendly drama I think it can stick around for a while and approach, maybe cross 10m. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Which is getting in the top 15 for the Summer Game?

Uncle Drew or The Purge?

Good question

Just now, filmlover said:

Which didn't exactly turn Storks and Lego Ninjago into blockbusters. 

And Ninjago had a worse drought than either of the HTs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I never followed Purge series but, wow, this is a big drop, though who cares cause budget is 13M. But the first one only had 3M budget and opened twice as high. 

It's a 5 day opening.  It should end up not that far from the first's total - even it tanks from here on out it should do $50m

Frankly it's surprising The Purge became a franchise with the first doing a 1.89 multiplier

1 The Purge: Election Year Uni. $79,213,375 2,821 $31,515,110 2,796 7/1/16
2 The Purge: Anarchy Uni. $71,962,800 2,856 $29,816,675 2,805 7/18/14
3 The Purge Uni. $64,473,115 2,591 $34,058,360 2,536 6/7/13

9 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Unfortunately (not b/c it's a good movie but b/c it's not part of the Disney monopoly) this is going to start hemorrhaging screens fast and won't make it far past $130M.  

how's that even possible since it'slittle more than 3M away from making 130M? And if actual comes at even higher, it may be less than 3M away. It won't lose that much to make 130M impossible. 

@baumer @TalismanRing Thanks for Purge info! :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Which didn't exactly turn Storks and Lego Ninjago into blockbusters. 

Pete's Dragon and Kubo  opening in mid to late August after a  summer of SLOP, Dory and even the feeble latest Ice Age with Miss Peregrines opening a  weekend later is more comp than Shaun The Sheep opening to $4m the first week of August and AM opening 9 weeks earlier.

I mean The First Purge could have made like $30M total and the whole franchise would have been a staggering success. 

People talk about how Ant-Man, a movie tied to the most successful movie universe, is doing the numbers it’s doing and yet movies like The Purge will always be ones to have me scratch my head. Not to say they’re not good movies or anything but the fact that the film makers have been able to drag out the concept into several successful films is insane all while making the movies with very little budgets too 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

how's that even possible since it'slittle more than 3M away from making 130M? And if actual comes at even higher, it may be less than 3M away. It won't lose that much to make 130M impossible. 

@baumer @TalismanRing Thanks for Purge info! :)

What movie is Binoche talking about?  

3 hours ago, sfran43 said:

Still has Japan left as well.  Opens there next weekend.  It's going to clear 1.2 billion.  And if Japan increases from the first one, it might do 1.25 billion.

• Like 3