YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm sure Ant-Man will get a Labor Day re-release alongside Incredibles 2 like Disney has done for more than 20 years and that'll be what pushes it past $200M.

Disney better fudge its 200M if needs be considering they made fools of themselves trying to get super bomb AWIT to 100M. At least people care for AM&TW. Oh, and just fuckin fudge BP's 700M and call it a day. I bet that BP lost some due to AWIT fudge. 

• Like 1

Predictions for next weekend:

The Equalizer 2: 35M

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again: 33M

Hotel Transylvania 3: 24.5M

Ant-Man and the Wasp: 15.3M

Skyscraper: 12.8M

Incredibles 2: 11M

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: 9.3M

Unfriended: Dark Web: 4M

The First Purge: 3.6M

Sorry to Bother You: 2.6M

It'll be refreshing to see 6 movies in the top ten putting up grosses over 10M.

3 hours ago, sfran43 said:

That's huge!  80% higher than the opening of the original.  If it behaves like a typical leggy film in Japan, 100 mill is on the table.  

• Astonished 3

3 hours ago, eVerYtHING said:

wow that Ant-Man drop is nasty. also since when does skyscraper cost 125M? BOMB. at least it has China next week.

Ant-man drop is typical for a sequel of a Marvel film.  The number for Skyscraper isn't good but far from a bomb.  The 125 price tag is actually kind of modest.  

Thoughts before I head off to work:

Great result for HT3, especially with it opening between the first two movies. Will be interesting to see where the film will land, especially with summer weekdays as a big positive, and Christopher Robin as a potential negative. I also assume HT4 is now on the cards.

LOL Skyscraper. Its oncoming run is going to be hilarious since Sequelizer and Cruise Missle will kill its legs.

Ant-Man's drop is obviously not good. Hopefully it can pull an SMH or DP2, although I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up going sub-$200M in the end.

Glad to see Incredibles in the top 10, and that's quite an impressive hold since it finally got some direct competition. FK reaching $400M still seems like a challenge, but hopefully the next couple of weeks aren't so bad.

Very happy at STBY, especially after some of the inital doom and gloom over its performance. Seems Annapurna is finally getting a better grasp at distribution, and this seems like it will get above $10M. Leave No Trace also did decent this weekend.

WYBMN is doing well, but 3 Identical Strangers is a beast. That sub-50% PTA drop basically ensures it will get above $10M like the other summer docs this year.

Definitely very happy over Eighth Grade. Another big win for A24 is always exciting to see.

• Like 5

JWFK did 26.7 mill internationally, plus another 15.5 here.  So another 42.2 mill WW.  I's at 1.13 billion right now.  If it has a leggy run in Japan like many films do, then 1.25 billion is locked and 1.3 isn't out of the question.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So it looks JWFK and I2 will reach 400+ and 600+(Could be a slow crawl for I2). Very nice!

Flop number for Skyscraper and big drop for Ant Man. Let’s see if it pulls and Spider-Man and DP. Mission impossible coming out soon won’t help tho 

Edited by Moviefanatic

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Ant-man drop is typical for a sequel of a Marvel film.  The number for Skyscraper isn't good but far from a bomb.  The 125 price tag is actually kind of modest.  

62%  drop seems like a lot? Compared to other Marvel films arent they usually 55%? Especially when its coming off a smaller opening anyway it should not be dropping quite that much.

and i would say it is a flop - 25M opening in summer is what, 65M total maybe? on a 125M budget. Thats not good. Unless it smashes it in CHina which is possible .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Disney better fudge its 200M if needs be considering they made fools of themselves trying to get super bomb AWIT to 100M. At least people care for AM&TW. Oh, and just fuckin fudge BP's 700M and call it a day. I bet that BP lost some due to AWIT fudge. 

Doesn't look to be any need to fudge AM&TW. It only needs a 2.7 multi.

SM:HC had a bigger 2nd w/e drop (62.2%) and went on to a 2.85 multi.   

CA:TFA dropped 60.7% and did a 2.74 multi  (with two $35m openers + one $19m opener the next we and POTA doing $55m the w/e after)

I doubt BP lost anything to AWIT's fudge - but it's also benefited from some double features along the way just as AWIT did -  particularly with AIW

• Like 1

Mojo's actually separating HT3's Amazon Prime preview grosses from the OW. Interesting.

JUNE 2018
Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
24  25  26  27  28  29 Rank 
Wk/nd Rank
Daily Gross
Wk/nd Gross
Change Y/L*
Wk/nd Chng Thtrs/%
Theaters / Average
Wk/nd Thtr Avg
Gross-to-date
30 8 (estimate)

$1,276,000

- / -

1,000 / $1,276

$1,276,000 / -12
JULY 2018
Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
8  9  10  11  12 Rank 
Wk/nd Rank
Daily Gross
Wk/nd Gross
Change Y/L*
Wk/nd Chng Thtrs/%
Theaters / Average
Wk/nd Thtr Avg
Gross-to-date
13 1 (estimate)

$16,875,000

- / -

4,267 / $3,955

$18,151,000 / 1
14 1 (estimate)

$15,070,000

-10.7% / -

4,267 / $3,532

$33,221,000 / 2
15 1 (estimate)
$12,155,000
$44,100,000
-19.3% / -
- / -
4,267 / $2,849
$10,335
$45,376,000 / 3
16  17  18  19  20  21 
* % Change since yesterday / same day last week.

• Like 2