Box Office Hit

M3GAN | Universal | January 6, 2023 | Profit of $78.8M

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Grace Randolph said the R Cut of M3GAN will be released in PVOD and that they decided for the PG-13 cut on theaters because it tested better (and because it's more accessible for teenages i would guess)

Interesting. Probably the right call.

16 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Looks like this will set a new, lofty standard for the annual first weekend of the year horror movies.

Reminds me of Escape Room in 2019, or even Insidious: The Last Key the year before. Obviously those weren't quite the critical hits that M3GAis so far, but I remember them.getting surprisingly positive reception and performed better at the box office than the usual films in that slot.

The first weekend horrors do well more often than not, regardless of quality. 

Escape Room, Insidious The Last Key, Underworld Blood Wars, The Forest, The Woman in Black 2, The Marked Ones, Texas Chainsaw, The Devil Inside, Season of the Witch, Daybreakers, The Unborn, One Missed Call, Hostel, White Noise.

Quality aside (the biggest opening was Devil Inside with $33m after all), they all opened to $10m+. Most of them $15m-20m. 

• Like 1

Anecdotal tidbit:

My theatre has a handful of showtimes for this in UltraAVX, which is a really good sign with Avatar obviously still playing so strongly. Usually something like this would get the bare minimum on a bare bones screen.

This does feel a little extra special. Wouldn't be surprised to see it challenge $30M.

I really have to say I’m surprised at the reviews. My earlier comments I wanted to keep vague, but really what disappointed me with this was how generic and straightforward this was. Other than the scenes we saw in the trailer, there isn’t much that was campy about this, and it felt overall like a slightly tamer Child’s Play (2019). 

There’s some humour, but it’s not THAT funny. There’s some wit, but it’s not THAT witty. The “dancing M3GAN” scene from the trailer plays very well in the movie, and given how straightforward the movie was I can see some audiences really liking it. But maybe this was just a reverse Malignant for me (with that film, I expected a straightforward horror film and got a batshit crazy… whatever that was and it was glorious. Here, I expected a batshit crazy feature and got more of a straightforward killer doll movie). It isn’t “bad” but I really didn’t think people would love it as much as they are.

Oh well, maybe it’ll play better on second viewing. I do hope it’s a hit, I want more original movies making money at the box office, so if this can make 30M+ this weekend I’ll be extremely happy. Good for Blumhouse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

I would wait to see more audience scores before I declare a victory here lol.  This is def good news for me, but horror auds are notoriously fickle and they still might hate it.

Malignant got 76% critics and 52% audience and a C Cinemascore. 

thats because Malignant was dogshit until the last 15 minutes

20 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

qc3yeuuqsej91.jpg?auto=webp&s=c17d69c2eb

00s Biel...

thirsty-oh-my-god.gif

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

I really have to say I’m surprised at the reviews. My earlier comments I wanted to keep vague, but really what disappointed me with this was how generic and straightforward this was. Other than the scenes we saw in the trailer, there isn’t much that was campy about this, and it felt overall like a slightly tamer Child’s Play (2019). 

There’s some humour, but it’s not THAT funny. There’s some wit, but it’s not THAT witty. The “dancing M3GAN” scene from the trailer plays very well in the movie, and given how straightforward the movie was I can see some audiences really liking it. But maybe this was just a reverse Malignant for me (with that film, I expected a straightforward horror film and got a batshit crazy… whatever that was and it was glorious. Here, I expected a batshit crazy feature and got more of a straightforward killer doll movie). It isn’t “bad” but I really didn’t think people would love it as much as they are.

Oh well, maybe it’ll play better on second viewing. I do hope it’s a hit, I want more original movies making money at the box office, so if this can make 30M+ this weekend I’ll be extremely happy. Good for Blumhouse.

Keep the sequells pumping, what matters is good movies, not if their original or not (but of course give originals the chance), and is M3gan an original? Well... But liked M3gan is a solid 7.1/10 baseline, movie. 

Edited by StreamBO

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

We need hits like this. And I really admire Universal for always having a varied slate every year.

I liked it and so did the Wife.. No where as breakthrough as Childs Play 1 in the 80s, but its decent brother Kayom.  Definitely I would recommend it for a matinee showing, not sure its a film I would pay full price for...

But had some cool moments. I give it a 6.5-7 out of 10.  Dont expect too much breakthroughs on this one my long time brother from another mother, but its definitely worth  at least checking out. Sorry they didnt make the story a bit better and the finale bigger.

Its tracking at 18-20+ OW. Not bad I think

• Like 2

7 hours ago, StreamBO said:

Keep the sequells pumping, what matters is good movies, not if their original or not (but of course give originals the chance), and is M3gan an original? Well... But liked M3gan is a solid 7.1/10 baseline, movie. 

Yep I gave it a 6.5-7. Not bad at all.. Wife gave this film about a 6.. 😕 lol

9 hours ago, DAJK said:

Those reviews I think are questionable.. That would mean its better than Childs play and heck no even with a modern twist... far from it. Its worth a mantinee viewing, but to suggest this is a film you want to watch twice with 90% .... SMH

My audience not much reaction , says it all. I definitely recommend as a choice besides Avatar or Puss though. But matinee brother Dajk... You wont be happy paying for 3D or  any premium format I feel with this one. Let me down on what it could have potential become. Childs Play still the best movie of this horror doll genre so  by far.