That One Girl

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT WEEKEND THREAD | 23 Friday...MM2 4.8...TT 4.25 EQ2 4.0

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Warner is the only studio from the Big 6 (future Big 5) which constantly flops with the animation. Even trashing Emoji from Sony Animation makes much more then this.

Bugs-Bunny-warner-brothers-animation-716

Edited by KeepItU25071906

4 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Warner is the only studio from the Big 6 (future Big 5) which constantly flops with the animation. Even trashing Emoji from Sony Animation makes much more then this.

Bugs-Bunny-warner-brothers-animation-716

Lego Movie, Lego Batman, Happy Feet and The Polar Express were all hits and TTG! was never expected to be a big moneymaker anyway and the budget's low enough that it'll be profitable anyway.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Lego Movie, Lego Batman, Happy Feet and The Polar Express 

4 movies in 14 years- yeap, thats a great result.

30 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

budget's low enough that it'll be profitable anyway.

but anyway this can't be compare to Sony Animation or Dreamworks (I'm even not talkng about Illumination, Pixar and Disney Animation).

And that's strange, especially for studio which is home for Looney Tunes and was huge player on animation field in the past.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Lego Movie, Lego Batman, Happy Feet and The Polar Express were all hits and TTG! was never expected to be a big moneymaker anyway and the budget's low enough that it'll be profitable anyway.

Different time when a 165m movie making 310m at the box office like Polar Express was considered a hit.

27 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

but anyway this can't be compare to Sony Animation, or, Dreamworks (I'm even not talkng about Illumination, Pixar ans Disney Animation).

And that's strange, especially for studious which is home for Looney Tunes and was huge player on animation field in the past.

WB's strength in animation has always been in short form rather than feature length.  They're making progress with Warner Animation Group which is really the relaunched feature arm and they've seen success with The Lego Movie and Lego Batman, don't forget, it took Sony years to get SPA to where it is now, it's not all been hit after hit.

I would say the WAG slate does look promising since they're looking beyond Lego and existing WB IPs like Scooby Doo with things like The Ice Dragon, Cat in the Hat and hopefully Bone

Edited by Jonwo

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Different time when a 165m movie making 310m at the box office like Polar Express was considered a hit.

It had great legs though considering it opened to $30m but I agree it was super expensive even in 2004.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

It had great legs though considering it opened to $30m but I agree it was super expensive even in 2004.

And has almost certainly turned a very healthy profit over the last 14 years through annual IMAX re-releases/DVD sales/TV rights.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And has almost certainly turned a very healthy profit over the last 14 years through annual IMAX re-releases/DVD sales/TV rights.

The fact that it gets a re-release every year is proof that we need better Christmas movies.

Edited by Jayhawk

$16 million for Mamma Mia 2 seems a bit low considering general box-office trends for adult-skewing films in the summer, especially since there's no direct competition.

$6.5 million (near-70% bump) 

$9 million (near-40% bump)

$7 million (just-over-20% drop) 

$22.5 million ($78 million 10-day)

That might be a bit bullish, but still, $18-20 million seems more likely to me. 

3 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

$16 million for Mamma Mia 2 seems a bit low considering general box-office trends for adult-skewing films in the summer, especially since there's no direct competition.

$6.5 million (near-70% bump) 

$9 million (near-40% bump)

$7 million (just-over-20% drop) 

$22.5 million ($78 million 10-day)

That might be a bit bullish, but still, $18-20 million seems more likely to me. 

It's not jumping 70% today, especially seeing how the first increased only 31% in its second Friday

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

In 2004, over your budget domestic, no doubt.

Hitch:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hitch.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $179,495,555    48.8%
Foreign:  $188,604,865    51.2%

Worldwide:  $368,100,420

Made 490m in revenues, if Polar express played similarly could have reached 200m on the domestic home ent + domestic tvs revenues alone.

Tallagada nights:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=talladeganights.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $148,213,377    90.9%
Foreign:  $14,752,800    9.1%

Worldwide:  $162,966,177  

Made 320m in revenues, almost doubled is box office in revenues lol, Tallagada nights could have had a 150m production budget and would have still turned a profit, so I imagine Polar Express was more than ok, didn't need year's before becoming a success, was probably right away seen has a hit.

Edited by Barnack
  • Astonished 2