Totem

3 reasons why you think Harry Potter and the "???" is the weakest in the series?

OOTP:

1) Yates was inexperienced for the scope of the story.

2) The score is painfully mediocre.

3) A bit too much was cut.

I don't think it's the weakest, but I definitely agree with those parts of OoTP. 

It's amazing how he improved from OoTP to HBP. They feel like they were directed by two completely different people.

• Like 2

While the scores in OOTP and HBP are generally lacking, they have some memorable tracks. In OOTP, when Hermione, Ron and others look on at Harry who is laying on the floor in the Ministry of Magic, the music that plays is one of my favourites from the series. And in HBP, 'the friends' at the end when they're all on the balcony is so beautiful.

• Like 1

While the scores in OOTP and HBP are generally lacking, they have some memorable tracks. In OOTP, when Hermione, Ron and others look on at Harry who is laying on the floor in the Ministry of Magic, the music that plays is one of my favourites from the series. And in HBP, 'the friends' at the end when they're all on the balcony is so beautiful.

I gotta admit I love 'Dumbledore's Farewell' from Half Blood Prince. Order of the Phoenix soundtrack didn't stand out for me. If you can find that soundtrack you're talking about it, tell me it's name please.

• Like 1

Goblet of Fire,

Hands down the worst Cinematography, its so boringly shot, 0 creativity.

My least favorite soundtrack by a gazillion. 

And for number 3, everything, this movie is just poorly directed. 

1 (93)

2 (85)

3 (91)

4 (78)

5 (85)

6 (88)

7 (86)

8 (90)

For someone who has not read the books, GOF seems out of place with the rest of the movies to me.

• Like 3

Goblet of Fire:

1. Painful overacting.

2. Changes that undermine the plot and characters.

3. Disjointed and lacking in substance.

Although I could write a whole essay on why I didn't like it.

• Like 3

Goblet of Fire

1.  The characters looked weird, especially the awkward skaterboy hairstyles of the guys:

Posted Image

2. It was boring, there were quite a few exciting scenes like with the dragons but for some reason it was just still... boring.

3. Nothings stands out from the movie, I can think of certain  memorable scenes from each movie that pop up clearly in mind but for GOF, nothing.

Edited by Catching Iceroll
  • Like 1

In terms of the actual movie experience i'd say OOTP was the worst one. It had waaayyy too much removed

But I also hate POA not cause of the movie itself, I think the movie itself was great but those stupid Time Turners piss me off way too much. Most obvious plot hole of anything ever

Without a doubt CoS for me. 

1. The movie is very loyal to the book, to it's own detriment. It included far too many unnecessary scenes and subplots from the book that drags down the movie.

2. Too similar to Philosopher's Stone. They saw what worked for PS and basically copied it for CoS which is unfortunate. The tone and style (color grading, editing etc) IMO fits PS way better than it fits CoS but even in the first one I don't think it works 100%. To this day the first two movies are the ones I like the least because of their tone and style.

3. Child actors. The story got darker and more demamding which required the child actors to step up their game. Unfortunately I don't think Columbus succeeded in getting the best out of their performances. Alfanso Cuarón managed to do just that among other things and gave us the best of the series because of it with Prisoner of Azcaban (until DH2).

Now, this might seem very negative but at the end of the day I still like the movie A LOT and appreciate what Chris Columbus made. 

Edited by robertgraysmith

All movies did well with the story-telling, but Harry Potter movies (except DH2 overall, and HBP's cinematography) never matched the grandness of LOTR or Star Wars.

GoF

It had the opportunity to show some real big screen magic to the audience. They did well introducing the teams in a grand way, the dragon and the underwater tasks were good. I felt let down by the maze, Voldemort's return and most of all, the absurdly short world cup(unforgivable)

It was introducing non-howgarts wizards and witches, had greats tasks, a deep story, surprise twist, introducing the big villain...with so much going for it, it should have been a great film.

OotP

It probably had potential for more epicness than DH2. The Dumbledore-Voldemort faceoff, the Death eaters vs the Order, and everything leading up to it was so narrowed down. A more visually inclined director could have made it a more cinematic climax.

Looking back at those fights, they look a little cheaply done.

GoF and OotP could have taken a turn to epic-town, but the makers decided to be a more conservative in the approach.

May be if Rowling hadn't put a gun on WB's head to only hire a British crew, the films could have harnessed the talent of Hollywood better and been bigger.

With all the money HP made, I think domestically they left some on the table for many films. I mean Twilight or Narnia should never had a film do more than HP. HP failed to bring in many movie-goers outside those who had read the books. Hunger Games did a great job of that. But most HP movies had the potential to be like LOTR and Star Wards in scale and design. Apart from HBP, DH1 and DH2, the rest felt smaller than they should have been.

Oh well, I hopt they will be made again in my life time.

Edited by a2knet