Totem

3 reasons why you think Harry Potter and the "???" is the weakest in the series?

No one pays attention to Harry. They just talk amongst themselves like they've just had a game of Quidditch in the Great Hall.Thing is, I'm not saying the book handled it real well, but this is even worse, which is hard to believe. I mean, how can you not have any scene where anyone acknowledges Voldemort's been defeated? Also there were many obstructions, R&H clearly couldn't see LV burst into ash.Fiendyfire was definitely rushed as well. I didn't like that scene for some reason. It didn't feel well paced. Courtyard Apocalypse, you mean where the trio duck and dodge through the battle? That was pretty good but I guess the key reason I personally don't like the battles is the fact that despite Harry Potter being focused on those main characters, Rowling created a world in the books where you cared for each character even if they weren't mentioned a lot. There's a whole atmosphere for the rest of the students and wizards and witches that you'd like them to get some acknowledgement after 10 years and nothing more. Sure, it might've been slightly over the top if we had the focus on so many one after the other, but that could be made less obvious with intercutting and editing. I didn't feel characters got their moment.Bellatrix, for killing Sirius, was also taken down like a first-year caught without a wand. That's just wrong.

I thought the Fiendyfire scene was handled brilliantly. It had great pacing. I honestly think it's one of the most thrilling scenes of the series. But I personally felt like they nailed down the part for making us feel for the characters. Regarding Harry, I truly felt for him throughout the whole film. I think one of my favorite little moments in the ENTIRE series has to be when Hermione gets this confused look on her face, only to be replaced by a look of stunned understanding that Harry might be a Horcrux as Hedwig's theme plays slowly in the background. The scene where they were setting up the protections for Hogwarts got me really emotional. There was so much great foreshadowing to Harry being a horcrux, my personal favorite not just the one I mentioned above, but when Helena Ravenclaw circled around Harry and whispered, "Strange...you remind me of him a bit." Absolutely haunting.Courtyard Apocalypse has to be one of my favorite scenes in the series. Not only does it get my heart pounding due to the sensational music, but also because it does one thing and does it incredibly well: shows the mortality of the characters. When the trio was stunned for a few seconds, unable to do anything for a moment because of how terrified they were truly showed how REAL they were. And when Hermione saves Lavender from Greyback (too late, unfortunately) and then the camera zooms in to the shocked and hurt faces of Harry/Hermione...sorry, but this scene is utter perfection.DH2 is still my favorite in the series, alongside DH1. Because when it does get it right (the vast majority of the time), it gets it AMAZINGLY right.

There's something very alluring about HBP. I do like OoTP very much, but only when I'm able to distance myself from the book and not think of the wasted opportunities. Have you read the books? If not, then you wouldn't really know just how many scenes that should have been in were cut.Grawp was so fucking pointless.In the entire Harry Potter series, there are only two pointless chapters or subplots that didn't advance the plot. Grawp was one, and the second most pointless chapter (however enjoyable to read) was Christmas at the Burrow in HBP.

I've read every book more than once. I'm a big fan. First off, I stopped constantly comparing the book and movie when Azkaban came out. It's a waste of time. The movie can't be the exact book. I know it's tough to accept but it's true. The filmmakers talked about keeping the movies about Harry. That's the spine. That's how you adapt 700-page books. As for saying there are only two pointless chapters or subplots in the WHOLE SERIES...well, I'm kind of flabbergasted. I understand you're a mega-fan but there are huge portions of Phoenix and Deathly Hallows that are a waste of time.

Chamber of Secrets:1. Pacing was pretty slow, I mean glacially slow in some parts.2. Wasn't feeling the tension and dread with the student attacks that much.3. The final scene. Ugh, super-duper saccharin, almost went into diabetic shock.Bonus: John Williams totally reuses a music cue from Attack of the Clones near the end. Lazy John.

I've read every book more than once. I'm a big fan. First off, I stopped constantly comparing the book and movie when Azkaban came out. It's a waste of time. The movie can't be the exact book. I know it's tough to accept but it's true. The filmmakers talked about keeping the movies about Harry. That's the spine. That's how you adapt 700-page books.As for saying there are only two pointless chapters or subplots in the WHOLE SERIES...well, I'm kind of flabbergasted. I understand you're a mega-fan but there are huge portions of Phoenix and Deathly Hallows that are a waste of time.

No chapter in DH was pointless. They each either serviced the plot or characters. The ones I'm talking about are two chapters are ones that are incredibly pointless, particularly the one in HBP.

How can you not feel many of the camping scenes in Deathly Hallows are incredibly repetitive, both in the film and book?

I was so bored with them when I first read the book. I also wasn't a fan of the Ministry scenes and a handful of others. It was definitely because I read it at such a fast pace. My second reading, I loved all those scenes IMMENSELY.The "camping scenes" contained some of the most beautifully realized and touching moments of the entire series. The characters did a lot of growing up.

GOF, and OOTP were both somewhat disappointing to me because I think they cut too much from the books to save time.

OOTP should have been a 3hr film and Yates should not have been afraid of maintaining a slow pace throughout the whole film up until the time that Harry passes out and dreams of Sirius being tortured in the MOM by Voldy.

OOTP is the worst followed cloesly by DH1.  HBP is the best one, tied with POA and GOF in third place.

Main problems with OTTP:

- visually poor, looks a DTV release- the score is just decent, nothing brilliant like the POA, PS, GOF scores- the lead's acting were awful, more than the usual- weak emotion, Yates to blame  :angry:

- worst editing of the seriesMain Problems with DH1 in two points:- lacks of substance, looks like a unfinished product - emotionally dull, the cold hand of Yates 

Edited by Goffe of Oz
  • Like 1

totally agree with you about the 'cold hand of Yates'. he made the films look empty and strangely stilted and the magic of the first 4 films was turned into an urban pedestrian gloomfest. I hate what he did to the Burrow, that whole sequence is not in the spirit of Rowling, it looked more like a M Night Shyamalan rip-off. It was so dreary, a darker theme does not have to mean gritty urban settings in almost darkness. The score was boring and some sections like the camping is almost impossible to rewatch its so boring, as are any bits with Luna. The first two films are often critisized but I can watch them many times and still get the sense of joy and wonder at seeing Diagon Alley, the atmosphere they set up is lovely, and Yates destroyed it.

• Like 2

totally agree with you about the 'cold hand of Yates'. he made the films look empty and strangely stilted and the magic of the first 4 films was turned into an urban pedestrian gloomfest. I hate what he did to the Burrow, that whole sequence is not in the spirit of Rowling, it looked more like a M Night Shyamalan rip-off. It was so dreary, a darker theme does not have to mean gritty urban settings in almost darkness. The score was boring and some sections like the camping is almost impossible to rewatch its so boring, as are any bits with Luna. The first two films are often critisized but I can watch them many times and still get the sense of joy and wonder at seeing Diagon Alley, the atmosphere they set up is lovely, and Yates destroyed it.

100% agree

Oh god, I hate Yates  :unsure:

Edited by Goffe of Oz

SS - A

CoS - C

PoA - A+

GOF - B-/C+

OoTP - B

HBP - A-

DH1 - A+

DH2 - A+

Comparing GoF and HBP is interesting to me. GoF pumped up the action, while HBP cut away the action from the book. Each took out large parts of the book, yet at the end of the day, HBP wins easily because it absolutely destroys GoF in characterization. And the lack of action didn't bother me at all. HBP is slow, but so far from boring. The added and changed scenes worked so much better in HBP (aside from the Burrow Attack which was random). 

If there is one film in the Potter canon that I come to appreciate more and more, it's HBP. And I said from the very beginning that it would be looked at more favorably once the last two were released. And it has.