NickDisney13

Ready or Not | Fox Searchlight | 21 AUG 2019 | Samara Weaving, Andie MacDowell, Adam Brody

On 8/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, Wrath said:

I do mostly agree with this. I thought the movie was solid and fun, but it certainly had its flaws and isn't remotely worthy of the excellent ratings its getting at RT, which I also assume result from the movie being at least superficially anti-rich.

Which isn't really a fair comparison. The Le Domas family isn't a random group of rich folks, they've got... other things going on. Plus, virtually everyone in the movie is well drawn, even including Justin, the hapless OnStar guy.

Yeah, I can see how people are willing to get behind the ideas in this movie rather than the movie itself. Still looks really fun though. Seeing it Tuesday.

18 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah, I can see how people are willing to get behind the ideas in this movie rather than the movie itself. Still looks really fun though. Seeing it Tuesday.

Oh, sure. I don’t mean to make the movie sound bad. If anything, it’s probably better than most folks would think (without looking at RT).

But it’s a *good* movie, and RT is reporting borderline *great* reviews and that’s not really accurate (and probably due to what we were talking about).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Oh, sure. I don’t mean to make the movie sound bad. If anything, it’s probably better than most folks would think (without looking at RT).

But it’s a *good* movie, and RT is reporting borderline *great* reviews and that’s not really accurate (and probably due to what we were talking about).

But they're not. borderline great - they're quite good reviews overall and just OK from topic critics.  87% is again just how many recommend it vs don't recommend it.

All Critics - 87%

Average Rating: 7.17/10

Total Count: 144

Fresh: 125

Rotten: 19

Top Critics - 82%

Average Rating: 5.87/10

Total Count: 22

Fresh: 18

Rotten: 4

• Like 1

Ah, that’s closer to where it should be. The last time I checked (We’d night or Thurs morning) it was more like 93% and 7.4-7.5 rating (don’t recall top critics results). We can quibble over the cutoff on good vs great, but it felt too high to me.

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

But they're not. borderline great - they're quite good reviews overall and just OK from topic critics.  87% is again just how many recommend it vs don't recommend it.

All Critics - 87%

Average Rating: 7.17/10

Total Count: 144

Fresh: 125

Rotten: 19

Top Critics - 82%

Average Rating: 5.87/10

Total Count: 22

Fresh: 18

Rotten: 4

and Meta Critic is like 63/100. most of the reviews are in the 3/5 range, it just leans more towards a positive because of its fun energy and superb ending.

This was fun! Loved Samara Weaving. Charming and cute, but tough and funny as well. Also really liked Henry Czerny. Won't go into details because of spoilers, but there's potential to do other movies. Not necessarily a sequel but there was a bit of world building in this that I was intrigued by.

• Like 2

This was fun enough, but I don't understand why critics seem to be going completely ga-ga over this. It's solidly crafted and entertaining. But it's not aggressively good or anything. Solid 6 or 6.5/10, which isn't bad for late August, but it would definitely be overlooked if there was anything remarkably interesting opening alongside it. 

• Like 1

Just saw it. I had a really fun time! Very entertaining. Samara Weaving has a very promising future after this. Everyone was great actually. Henry Czerny had some of his Conrad Grayson persona from Revenge, and it fitted this movie. I'm with critics on this one, I thought it's really good.