sfran43

Weekend Thread: | Estimates (per BOM) ~ M:I-F 35M, DCR 25.003M, TSWDM 12.35M, MM!HWGA 9.09M, TE2 8.83M, HT3:SV 8.2M, AMatW 6.188M, TDM 5.8M

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That an impressive blind spot to have, considering how much it played on TV (if you are American)

Seeing it now in the context of being one of Trump favorite movie and him achieving to do what Kane failed to make it a bit interesting.

But I would not say it particularly aged well imo, impressive for the low budget too.

As usual Trump misses the point  and the film is a masterpiece of filmmaking.

Deadline is WAY lower on the CR estimates...https://deadline.com/2018/08/tom-cruise-mila-kunis-box-office-mission-impossible-fallout-christopher-robin-spy-who-dumped-me-1202439507/

2nd Update: The only film that moviegoers care about this weekend is Paramount/Skydance’s Mission: Impossible – Fallout which is easily landing a $31M-$33M second weekend, -48% for a 10-day on the high-end of $122.4M. Most of the new competition is missing its tracking marks with Disney’s Christopher Robin at $23M-$25M (instead of low to mid $30Ms) and The Spy Who Dumped Me with $11M-$13M instead of more mid-teens with Fox’s YA feature adaptation The Darkest Minds pretty much arriving in the high single digit area were tracking had it, between $6M-8M. Note Christopher Robin‘s weekend is close to Peter Rabbit‘s 3-day of $25M, and currently higher than Disney’s live-action Pete’s Dragon which brought in $21.5M. August isn’t going to get any prettier in terms of product, not until New Line’s The Nun on Sept. 7, and, man, kids are going to start going back to school, which will further ratchet business down. Even Dinesh D’Souza’s Death of a Nation is lighter as of right now, looking at an estimated $2M-$2.5M instead of the $3M where forecasts had it. Despite the ho-hum of it all, it might just wind up to be a better weekend than a year ago when Sony/Media Rights Capital’s The Dark Tower led all films with $19.1M for a $122.7M weekend for all films.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, RandomCat said:

I'm putting you on ignore now.

You think that's bad, just type "Pooh goes Ape Shit Crazy" into your search engine.......

Edited by dudalb

With CR at $23M on Deadline and $28M on Variety, I guess we'll see if this is adult or kid driven...pretty sure it means matinees in summer peg closer to $23M if you think it's a kid draw and $28M if you think it's an adult draw (I think it's the latter more, so no jumping off cliffs yet for the CR fans:)...

I haven't seen lots of cult and popular favorites from like the mid-90s to mid-00s. Mean Girls, Donnie Darko, Office Space, Almost Famous, Lock Stock Barrels, High Fidelity, all Kevin Smith movies, etc. All came out when I was a preteen and before I got seriously into movies, and if I never randomly came across them on TV I didn't feel the urge to seek them out later. Didn't see Requiem for a Dream until last year. 

Highest grosser I've never seen is Jurassic World. I'm more than fine with that.

Edited by Jake Gittes

I just remembered that a #1 weekend for Fallout would put the Mission: Impossible series at 6/6 in staying at #1 for two weekends. Pretty impressive stuff, even if a couple of those second weekend #1s are owed to big new releases bombing in second (Poseidon for the third one, Fan4stic for the fifth).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Looking at the most popular films on Letterboxd, still haven't seen Drive, Eternal Sunshine, Moonrise Kingdom, Reservoir Dogs and American Beauty

my reviews of those movies: good, good, meh, good, weird!

• Thanks 1

You know...3M+ folks can't go to the movies for free anymore...that has to have a decent effect, especially when you are looking at a bunch of movies hoping for mid-level and below box office to start with that fall into the "good enough to see, not good enough to pay much for" paradigm...

Not gonna convince most of you, but I anecdotally follow threads in a lot of places, and many folks just said they'd cancel and wait awhile til the next big movie season starts (since they've seen their fill of movies already and made their passes "worth it")...so you have many that went from weekly goers to non-goers for the next 2-3 months with little warning for the box office...

• Thanks 1