grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

• Founder / Operator
2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Yes an no, those movies have a completely legit shot at Best Picture and are not perceived to have a new category for recognition.

True, but I think there's a legit argument that they apply to both in that case.

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Hey if the cutoff is $100 Million than Fifty Shades 3 is eligible

Y'all acting like FS isn't eligible for most categories or like the franchise hasn't been nominated already. 

The Oscars have been a joke for years and the ratings freefall keep proving it. But MCU is killing cinema amirite?

(I've never seen a FS movie but y'all trying to discredit every movie that's somewhat a hit or has over $20m budget is not cute)

6 hours ago, expensiveho said:

Y'all acting like FS isn't eligible for most categories or like the franchise hasn't been nominated already. 

The Oscars have been a joke for years and the ratings freefall keep proving it. But MCU is killing cinema amirite?

(I've never seen a FS movie but y'all trying to discredit every movie that's somewhat a hit or has over $20m budget is not cute)

FS is eligible for any category that applies to it, however that doesnt mean it stands a cat in hells chance of getting an award. For reference FSOG was nominated for best original song, but that category is a joke and always has been. 90% of the noms in that category are bloody awful, and in the case of FSOG it has nothing to do with anything in the movie whatsoever, its just a random song attached to the movie for 'reasons'. That absolutely horrifyingly un-selfaware abortion by Ellie Goulding is more in line with the rest of that movie.

Edited by GirafficPark

1 hour ago, GirafficPark said:

Sorry, but this talk of Black Panther being a legitimate candidate for Best Picture has to be a joke, right? On what grounds? Its a decent Marvel movie, but its hardly Oscar worthy in any category.

I agree, the lack of self-awareness many fans of the MCU display is hilarious. Its perfectly fine to like the movies, but it really becomes obnoxious when they act like these movies are the objective definition of quality, when most of them are nothing more but perfectly mediocre movies that have very little to them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GirafficPark said:

Sorry, but this talk of Black Panther being a legitimate candidate for Best Picture has to be a joke, right? On what grounds? Its a decent Marvel movie, but its hardly Oscar worthy in any category.

you say oscar worthy like its the definition of what a great film should be but truth is its become irrelevant to the majority of the planet as a reliable reward for greatness. most of us know BP doesnt actually mean its the best movie hence no-one cares to watch these BP winners

id rather see Panther win than a lame film about some wierdo fucking a fish. black panther is a better made film than the likes of Spotlight or the shape of water, fact. dont need some award to tell us otherwise

Edited by Jessie
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, Jessie said:

you say oscar worthy like its the definition of what a great film should be but truth is its become irrelevant to the majority of the planet as a reliable reward for greatness. most of us know BP doesnt actually mean its the best movie hence no-one cares to watch these BP winners

id rather see Panther win than a lame film about some wierdo fucking a fish. black panther is a better made film than the likes of Spotlight or the shape of water, fact. dont bee

I agree that Black Panther is probably more entertaining than most BP winners, but that doesn't make it a better film. The Oscars are about the movie making craft, not the entertainment value. Black Panther doesnt have the acting, editing, cinematography, direction, screenplay or any other factor in its favour to win, so no its not 'better made'.

Edited by GirafficPark

6 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

I agree that Black Panther is probably more entertaining than most BP winners, but that doesn't make it a better film. The Oscars are about the movie making craft, not the entertainment value. Black Panther doesnt have the acting, editing, cinematography, direction, screenplay or any other factor in its favour to win, so no its not 'better made'.

but it is a better made film. it has a richer story and better constructed narrative than shape of water which is as simple as they come. we are suppose to believe thise women fell inlove with fishman that fast? sorry but most of us were not convinced. even if you look at the nominees Dunkirk was a far better made film than SOW with more impressive conenatography, editing and direction but somehow they vote for the film very few agree with, even critics. 

sorry but the academy are simply wrong with their decisions. the reader over TDK for christ sake 😂

12 minutes ago, Jessie said:

but it is a better made film. it has a richer story and better constructed narrative than shape of water which is as simple as they come. we are suppose to believe thise women fell inlove with fishman that fast? sorry but most of us were not convinced. even if you look at the nominees Dunkirk was a far better made film than SOW with more impressive conenatography, editing and direction but somehow they vote for the film very few agree with, even critics. 

sorry but the academy are simply wrong with their decisions. the reader over TDK for christ sake 😂

Just being 'richer' doesnt make it better. Black Panther isnt Dunkirk either (which has almost no story at all by the way).

Black Panther is a good paint by numbers Marvel movie with mostly black people in it, thats all it will ever be.

I dont agree with the academy often either, there are some true stinkers in the BP list, but I do understand what they are looking for, and Black Panther isnt it. Remember this isnt about whats objectively the best movie, its about what the Oscars value.

While I dont agree with the Oscars choices often at least they have held on to those values somewhat (until now it seems), compare that to the objectively garbage that gets awarded at the Grammy awards, because its 'popular'.

Edited by GirafficPark

12 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Just being 'richer' doesnt make it better. Black Panther isnt Dunkirk either (which has almost no story at all by the way).

Black Panther is a good paint by numbers Marvel movie with mostly black people in it, thats all it will ever be.

I dont agree with the academy often either, there are some true stinkers in the BP list, but I do understand what they are looking for, and Black Panther isnt it. Remember this isnt about whats objectively the best movie, its about what the Oscars value.

Whilei dont agree with the Oscars choices often at least they have held on to those values somewhat (until now it seems), compare that to the objectively garbage that gets awarded at the Grammy awards, because its 'popular'.

i personally dont think Dunkirk was BP worthy but in comparrison to its competition it was. even if we disagree with that it seems absurd to me how he can lose out on a best directing nod after creating some of the most mesmerizing scenes ive ever witnessed bringing back to life old WW2 planes in beautifully shot air combat scenes whilst pushing forward IMAX capability which even caught the attention and emotion of old war veterans. seems ridulous him losing out to GDT with all that in mind who didnt exactly do anything grounbreaking

When you have highly regarded film directors who know more about the art of filmmaking constantly disagreeing with the academys decisions you know they are out of touch

Edited by Jessie

Black Panther is a pretty good superhero movie but really, the main reason anyone is pushing for it so passionately is because it's the ambassador for minority-led blockbusters. If it weren't for that, we'd probably fully expect it to be left out the same as most other critically acclaimed franchise movies.

Which was likely a factor in the Oscars panicking and adding this category. They want to curry favor to the masses without having to actually validate them.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Black Panther is a pretty good superhero movie but really, the main reason anyone is pushing for it so passionately is because it's the ambassador for minority-led blockbusters. If it weren't for that, we'd probably fully expect it to be left out like the same as most other critically acclaimed franchise movies.

Which was likely a factor in the Oscars panicking and adding this category. They want to curry favor to the masses without having to actually validate them.

That is AMPAS, they seem more worried about being labelled as racist or anti-minority than anti-blockbuster 

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

Black Panther is a pretty good superhero movie but really, the main reason anyone is pushing for it so passionately is because it's the ambassador for minority-led blockbusters.

That didn't work out for Wonder Woman last year (it got a PGA nom followed by a whooping zero Oscar nominations). Though Black Panther feels like a bigger deal than that movie was.

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That didn't work out for Wonder Woman last year (it got a PGA nom followed by a whooping zero Oscar nominations). Though Black Panther feels like a bigger deal than that movie was.

I rate BP about a B+ but that doesn't change the fact that BP has had top reviewers and Oscar pundits championing it for months.  This isn't about deluded Marvel fans.

It has far better reviews than WW which some pundits were also pushing last year as another cultural phenomenon.  WW's reviews were on par with at least a half a dozen other recent CBMs over the last few years and  in the same year not as good as Logan's and in the same area as SM:HC

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I rate BP about a B+ but that doesn't change the fact that BP has had top reviewers and Oscar pundits championing it for months.  This isn't about deluded Marvel fans.

It has far better reviews than WW which some pundits were also pushing last year as another cultural phenomenon.  WW's reviews were on par with at least a half a dozen other recent CBMs over the last few years and  in the same year not as good as Logan's and in the same area as SM:HC

Its getting it for social justice reasons, not because its actually anywhere near deserving in quality terms. Although I think the Oscars are good at resisting public opinion usually, they arent immune to fashionable causes affecting their noms.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, Oscar pundits who report on awards as a year-round job have had Black Panther in their Best Picture predictions for months (not all, but many). After the most recent Oscars, a reporter (from Deadline IIRC) quoted Christopher Nolan saying he thought Black Panther would get nominated for Best Picture next year. It has higher Metacritic/Rotten Tomatoes scores than The Dark Knight, which probably would have made into Best Picture with either version of the expanded line up.

Maybe someone personally didn't think Black Panther was all that, but every year, movies that somebody, somewhere didn't like very much, get nominated for and even win Best Picture. It doesn't make these movies unworthy or mean that they only succeed because social justice (some people don't like the first Best Picture winner, when "SJWs" were...not a thing) , it just means that critics/Oscar like different things than you. Someone will always be unhappy with what gets good reviews, or what wins awards, because the world can't align to every single person's individual tastes. You don't have to like everything that is popular or respected, but that doesn't mean it's not popular or respected in general, or that the people who like it have an agenda or feel guilted into supporting it. 

I love the theory that this is four-dimensional chess on Disney's part-they float the idea of this deeply unpopular new category and eventually scrap it before the Oscar voting, but in the meantime, they firmly galvanize/strengthen support for Black Panther in Best Picture. But I doubt they are that strategic and they genuinely didn't think there would be quite this much backlash.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica