movies!movies!

Cold Pursuit | Lionsgate | Feruary 8, 2019 | Liam Neeson, Laura Dern

2 minutes ago, YLF said:

The usual suspects of course are defending this dudes actions. I’m sorry, no, I’ve been upset at certain situations and from people’s actions. But, never did I seek out to murder someone - especially not based off the ethnicity or gender of said person. People that aren’t affected by racism will not understand. Liam’s first thought is to ask the color of the person she was raped by? That is a very traumatic event and I sympathize with her and him greatly. But to intentionally seek out a black person whether or not you know it’s the actual perpetrator  is asinine and indefensible. Black people don’t have to defend their existence. The act of one is not representative of the whole. If the person happened to be white, I’m sure Liam would’ve went to all the local pubs ready to kill any white guy he saw, too, right? 

Theres no no way the same people defending Liam would be defending a black person that sought out white police officers because of the killings of many unarmed black men.(in some cases even minors)But alas here we are.

Yeah, the whole shit started sounding wrong to me when he had to first ask what the colour of the person was. There has got to be something inherently racist about Neeson that made him say that and made him think of killing someone black.

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, the whole shit started sounding wrong to me when he had to first ask what the colour of the person was. There has got to be something inherently racist about Neeson that made him say that and made him think of killing someone black.

I think he probably was saying in a shortened way, that at one point she described to him what the person looked like.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

He himself admitted he was at the time. He talks about the culture in North Ireland and how he's ashamed of it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YLF said:

The usual suspects of course are defending this dudes actions. I’m sorry, no, I’ve been upset at certain situations and from people’s actions. But, never did I seek out to murder someone - especially not based off the ethnicity or gender of said person. People that aren’t affected by racism will not understand. Liam’s first thought is to ask the color of the person she was raped by? That is a very traumatic event and I sympathize with her and him greatly. But to intentionally seek out a black person whether or not you know it’s the actual perpetrator  is asinine and indefensible. Black people don’t have to defend their existence. The act of one is not representative of the whole. If the person happened to be white, I’m sure Liam would’ve went to all the local pubs ready to kill any white guy he saw, too, right? 

Theres no no way the same people defending Liam would be defending a black person that sought out white police officers because of the killings of many unarmed black men.(in some cases even minors)But alas here we are.

I wholeheartedly disagree, but to each their own :) Why wouldn't I defend a black person who sought out white police officers? If they understood that what they originally were doing was wrong, I would applaud them for recognizing their wrongs and trying to right them. 

I've got plenty of my own problems with police officers. My sister and her friends were sitting in one of their vans (7 or 8 of them) when a police officer knocked on the window to see if everything was "okay". He peered inside and said "get the brown one out here NOW" and mildly roughed him up as he "Searched" him. So yea, I've got plenty of problems with police. I think many of them try to do the right thing, but I think many others abuse their power for their own biases. 

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Maybe there was, but clearly he has recognized what he did was wrong. I know who it was that raped the person close to me (it was a hockey player in one of those small-town junior leagues) and I know his teammates knew about it because a few started harassing the girl. So yea, I sorta wanted to wait outside the rink and pick a fight (even though I'd lose with so many). Does that indicate a bias towards hockey players? Maybe, but it was because I was blinded by anger. I don't hate hockey players, I think some of them are really nice people. But I hated a few of them, and it blinded my better judgement. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YLF said:

But to intentionally seek out a black person whether or not you know it’s the actual perpetrator  is asinine and indefensible.

It seems to me that Neeson himself admits this. But you don't have to defend it to try and understand it - that trauma fucks you up. Including, yes, by provoking racist thoughts and impulses. Which is not to say that he wasn't responsible for what he decided to do.

Maybe some people are just wired differently, idk. Statistically we all most likely either know someone close to us that has been raped or have been raped ourselves. It would be reprehensible if a black person sought out a random white person for someone else’s  actions and vice versa. Intentionally trying to provoke a person of a certain ethnicity to try to illustrate your preconceived notions and kill that person is ridiculous. If it just were thoughts and he didn’t actually seek out a person with a “cosh” it would be forgiveable. 

1 minute ago, YLF said:

Maybe some people are just wired differently, idk. Statistically we all most likely either know someone close to us that has been raped or have been raped ourselves. It would be reprehensible if a black person sought out a random white person for someone else’s  actions and vice versa. Intentionally trying to provoke a person of a certain ethnicity to try to illustrate your preconceived notions and kill that person is ridiculous. If it just were thoughts and he didn’t actually seek out a person with a “cosh” it would be forgiveable. 

I think the thing is Liam Neeson himself said it was a shitty thing to do. In the article-

"He deliberately withholds details to protect the identity of the victim. “It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that,” he says. “And I’ve never admitted that, and I’m saying it to a journalist. God forbid.” “Holy shit,” says Tom Bateman, his co-star, who is sitting beside him. “It’s awful,” Neeson continues, a tremble in his breath. “But I did learn a lesson from it, when I eventually thought, ‘What the fuck are you doing,’ you know?”

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

His new movie is about revenge and I can see how he tried to come with his feelings from past years.  

I don't know what's gonna happen to his career, but he had a good run until now. 

I hope he can get through this, since he clearly is not being malicious now, the entire thing was brought up as he was making the point of violence is not worth it.

but maybe this is just the same as old tweets... no matter how long ago this was and whether you've changed, you will be condemned to Hell.

• Like 1

This isn’t going to end his career. No way. People whose career’s have been ended by scandals like this have said/done things that are definitely not defendable (Singer, Spacey etc.) whereas with Neeson, even just reactions on this site show that people are divided. This is going good to blow over in a few weeks, unless something else comes out.

13 minutes ago, YLF said:

I personally don’t think it would play out like that. If a black person sought out a random white person (but realized what they were doing was wrong) and stopped themselves before they ended up doing anything, while there definitely be uproar among very right-wing idiots etc. I think generally people would understand how oppression and anger can cloud someone’s judgement even if just for a little while.

The main thing with Neeson is that he never hurt anyone and he is regretting his actions. It’s not like any of us can deny we’ve never wanted to hurt someone out of anger but never ended up acting on it. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This isn’t going to end his career. No way. People whose career’s have been ended by scandals like this have said/done things that are definitely not defendable (Singer, Spacey etc.) whereas with Neeson, even just reactions on this site show that people are divided. This is going good to blow over in a few weeks, unless something else comes out.

those Weinstein people you mention had plenty of defenders. for Kevin Spacey all it took was for one person to make an allegation, no court decision or evidence or anything simply one allegation and his career was over the next day.

James Gunn had many defenders and was fired the moment any controversy was created. Obviously he has not had a career extermination but i hope you get what i mean.

Hollywood stars seem to be pretty vulnerable at the moment and it does not take alot to take one of them down. For better or for worse.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

He never denied the allegation. 

And liam neeson did not deny trying to kill a black man :lol:

my point is it doesn't take all that much for press & public to quickly turn on someone and never been forgiven.

We're not in Polanski era anymore.

I'd rather have a man be courageous enough to express his past emotions and how he learned from the errs of his rage than a man who holds the deck close to his chest while enacting upon his darkest desires when preying upon the weak/less fortunate/outcasts/etc.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Avatree said:

those Weinstein people you mention had plenty of defenders. for Kevin Spacey all it took was for one person to make an allegation, no court decision or evidence or anything simply one allegation and his career was over the next day.

James Gunn had many defenders and was fired the moment any controversy was created. Obviously he has not had a career extermination but i hope you get what i mean.

Hollywood stars seem to be pretty vulnerable at the moment and it does not take alot to take one of them down. For better or for worse.

Sure but that was a legal allegation rather than people upset about something he said in an interview. And it’s also not like Neeson didnt go and say he supports this way of thinking. Spacey didn’t deny the allegations, whereas Neeson pretty much right away made clear that this previous way of thinking was wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Sure but that was a legal allegation rather than people upset about something he said in an interview. And it’s also not like Neeson didnt go and say he supports this way of thinking. Spacey didn’t deny the allegations, whereas Neeson pretty much right away made clear that this previous way of thinking was wrong.

True. I hope it blows over soon. hopefully with an apology statement we will just move past it.

:) 

12 minutes ago, Avatree said:

And liam neeson did not deny trying to kill a black man :lol:

my point is it doesn't take all that much for press & public to quickly turn on someone and never been forgiven.

We're not in Polanski era anymore.

Sure because wanting (not trying) to kill someone in a state of irrational hatred brought on by trauma, realizing how fucked up that is, and then coming forward with it on your own while expressing heavy remorse is... the same as actually sexually assaulting a child.

You don't even yourself know what point you're making. Your actual point is that all these cases are different and the people are treated differently as a result. There's a reason Spacey is effectively blacklisted while Gunn is writing and directing a Suicide Squad sequel. But your main takeaway from all this is how "vulnerable" Hollywood stars are because they no longer get to stay on the very top of the world at all times when something controversial becomes known about them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Sure because wanting (not trying) to kill someone in a state of irrational hatred brought on by trauma, realizing how fucked up that is, and then coming forward with it on your own while expressing heavy remorse is... the same as actually sexually assaulting a child.

You don't even yourself know what point you're making. Your actual point is that all these cases are different and the people are treated differently as a result. There's a reason Spacey is effectively blacklisted while Gunn is writing and directing a Suicide Squad sequel. But your main takeaway from all this is how "vulnerable" Hollywood stars are because they no longer get to stay on the very top of the world at all times when something controversial becomes known about them.

I'm not complaining, I think its a good thing that they don't wield the power they used to have.

I am probably just overreacting to this . Sorry its just a topic (rape) that is very close to my heart. You are right Jake I don't even know what I am trying to say, look back at the posts I've made through this thread and I'm jumping from point to point.

What's most important to me is that nobody was killed by Neeson. I really don't care what happens to Neeson's career, but I'm not going to bother throwing a stone. If other people want to throw stones, that's their own decision to make.

Alita is a higher priority for me anyway. Not only that, but I'm trying to catch up on watching Oscar-nominated films. I don't need to see Cold Pursuit. I won't miss it, either. Seems a little too dark for my tastes.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1