movies!movies!

Cold Pursuit | Lionsgate | Feruary 8, 2019 | Liam Neeson, Laura Dern

I know I’m late to the controversy here, but I will say that I’m glad Neeson was willing to voluntarily come clean about this. He could’ve kept this story to himself and no one would’ve ever found out about it, so the fact that he shared this with people would suggest that he feels deeply ashamed over the whole thing. 

Before anyone says anything, I’m not excusing what he was thinking at the time. I’m simply saying that people tend to be very complex. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 7

Neeson sounded out of touch in both The Independent and GMA interviews. In the interviews, he did not tackle the racism head-on.  He said he felt the urge and did attempt to take it out on blacks some time ago when his friend told him she was raped by a guy who was black. He might have come from a tribal/segregated society. I felt sorry for him. But this is 2019. He should address the racism head-on to clear this up.

His thoughts were around 30 years ago and he clearly states that how he thought and felt was wrong. Do I justify his thinking before? Absolutely not...they were terrible and racist and a black man might have been hurt because of him. 

HOWEVER, the fact that this wasn't something leaked but instead was of his own admission where he's made clear that his thinking before was wrong and needed help for it makes it difficult for me to demonize him. To me, that's not something to crucify someone over. He's not condoning how he felt. In fact, good for him for showing remorse. 

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Noctis said:

His thoughts were around 30 years ago and he clearly states that how he thought and felt was wrong. Do I justify his thinking before? Absolutely not...they were terrible and racist and a black man might have been hurt because of him. 

HOWEVER, the fact that this wasn't something leaked but instead was of his own admission where he's made clear that his thinking before was wrong and needed help for it makes it difficult for me to demonize him. To me, that's not something to crucify someone over. He's not condoning how he felt. In fact, good for him for showing remorse. 

He said it's primal rage. It is NOT. It is learned.

Discussion of the merit/demerit of his comments is not about crucifying him.  It opens an opportunity to reflect on our past as a society. We live in an open society. Anyone's public comments are open to criticism.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neucentro said:

He said it's primal rage. It is NOT. It is learned.

Discussion of the merit/demerit of his comments is not about crucifying him.  It opens an opportunity to reflect on our past as a society. We live in an open society. Anyone's public comments are open to criticism.

What?

He was talking about how you behave/react after something deeply upsetting. It absolutely is a "primal" / irrational rage and emotions. You do not think straight and logically.

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

What?

He was talking about how you behave/react after something deeply upsetting. It absolutely is a "primal" / irrational rage and emotions. You do not think straight and logically.

To pick on a group of people or attack a random black person because an assaulter is black is not primal need. Not all of that violence is a result of primal need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Neucentro said:

To pick on a group of people or attack a random black person because an assaulter is black is not primal need. Not all of that violence is a result of primal need.

Exactly.

Primal rage I get.

But to purposely go out of your way to wait and hope for a person that is the same color as the one that assaulted you or your loved one implicates a whole lot more.

There are a million sociocultural frameworks at work here, most of which are steeped in irrationally racialized biases.

• Like 2

A brave step from Neeson to share this horrible time that happended a few decedas ago.

He now deeply regrets how he reacted back than, out of pure rage and blind hate, and that's a good thing.

He came clean with the clear messege that this bahaviour was absolutely wrong, and now, looking back, he is horrified about this.

As for the movie:

Really looking forward to it, the trailer looks pretty good.

9 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

So the award for Best Self-Sabotaging of the Opening Weekend Box Office Potential of One's Movie goes to Liam Neeson, right?

Right up there with Olivia Munn last year.

It says a lot that the box office for this movie will probably increase now. The trailer is pretty unconditionally awful and it would almost certainly have bombed.  Now it probably has a chance.

As for the issue itself relating to Neeson, as the person above me indicated, there are just too many dynamics at play to write anything shorter than an essay about it. It isn't something that can be dealt with by a simple dismissive statement of some kind, in whichever direction that statement goes.

All I will say is that I'm surprised and maybe a little disappointed that the only majority focus here is the racial aspect, and not the aspect that relates to why the societal expectation for this kind of incident is vengeance and anger rather than looking after the victim and making sure they are ok. 

41 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

No, not even close; nobody even remembers what that one was about.

he said self-sabotage, I mean Liam did it by accident, Olivia was actively intending to sabotage the predator.

(pun intended)