grim22

Bombshell | Lionsgate | Dec 13 Limited, Dec 20 wide | Jay Roach directing. From the writer of The Big Short. John Lithgow is Roger Ailes, Charlize Theron is Megyn Kelly, Nicole Kidman is Gretchen Carlson. Margot Robbie also stars

22 minutes ago, TMP said:

Seeing Charlize as Megyn Kelly is gonna be so weird. When was the last time someone this prominent in the media was portrayed concurrently on film? W.?

Not one but (at least) two Obama movies in 2016:

southside-with-you-sundance.jpg

161215094131-barry-netflix-movie-exlarge

I just wonder when the first Trump will appear.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Trying to replicate Vice I see... 

Title makes me wonder if it's gonna replicate Vice's attitude too. Though I'm not sure what would be less desirable, misguided ambition or TV-movie-on-the-big-screen blandness. Either way, not seeing anything to get genuinely excited about here.

Edited by Jake Gittes

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Title makes me wonder if it's gonna replicate Vice's attitude too. Though I'm not sure what would be less desirable, misguided ambition or TV-movie-on-the-big-screen blandness. Either way, not seeing anything to get genuinely excited about here.

Yeah, I've heard it has some Deadpool moments just like Vice... sadly.

Also Jay Roach is so boring. 

• Like 1

Given that Vice's release strategy did not work (whoever thought it was a good idea to open it in wide release was an idiot), I think the fact they're going for something similar is gonna hurt this. Even if it's going for a counter programming strategy against the big films in December (Star Wars and Jumanji), I think Cats and Little Women are gonna get way more attention. 

They should really just make this date a limited release and then go wide in January.

27 minutes ago, TheManFromBeyond said:

Given that Vice's release strategy did not work (whoever thought it was a good idea to open it in wide release was an idiot), I think the fact they're going for something similar is gonna hurt this. Even if it's going for a counter programming strategy against the big films in December (Star Wars and Jumanji), I think Cats and Little Women are gonna get way more attention. 

They should really just make this date a limited release and then go wide in January.

Annapurna managed to get a film with neither good reviews nor exceptional box office into Best Picture and Best Director by skipping festivals and then targeting awards voters before letting the critics embargo drop.  This movie would be lucky to replicate that success. 

9 hours ago, TheManFromBeyond said:

what would have been gained from giving Vice a platform release? as it stands, it got to take advantage of both the holidays and the nominations, almost 50m is the best a film with such a divisive approach could realistically hope for. its bigger problem was the budget.

20 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Annapurna managed to get a film with neither good reviews nor exceptional box office into Best Picture and Best Director by skipping festivals and then targeting awards voters before letting the critics embargo drop.  This movie would be lucky to replicate that success. 

The Harvey Weinstein tactic.