filmlover

Last Christmas | Paul Feig | Emilia Clarke, Henry Golding | Universal | 11/8/2019

4 hours ago, Frozen said:

46% on RT. Can Emilia Clarke not catch a goddamn break ever?

I read a review talking about her character being written as a 20-something Emma Thompson archetype and that despite her best efforts, Clarke doesn't quite fill Thompson's shoes. Between that and Sarah Connor, just let this poor girl wear her own damn shoes.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

And that was before the notion of a Paul Feig movie came into existence. That movie was just a run-of-the-mill Christmas movie that he was hired to direct.

Only thing I remember from that movie was one of the TV spots having a legit bangin' rap. Still gets into my head from time to time.

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Such a damn shame about the reviews. I have not watched GOT, but Emilia comes off as such a sweet personality.

Will the cast of GOT suffer the same fate as the LOST one? None of those actors made it in the mainstream

for the most part yeah. richard madden and kit harrington are in Eternals so that's a nice safety net for them if that becomes like a big deal in the MCU. otherwise the rest i'm doubtful they'll take off in a big way.

22 minutes ago, Alli said:

Will the cast of GOT suffer the same fate as the LOST one? None of those actors made it in the mainstream

Clarke, Turner and Momoa have all starred in blockbusters (Momoa a very successful one getting a sequel) so that's already a better record than Lost, or any* TV show.

(* in the number of actors making it into big-budget movies - but obviously some TV shows have been the first role of a major movie star in the past).

Edited by MrGlass2

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Clarke, Turner and Momoa have all starred in blockbusters (Momoa a very successful one getting a sequel) so that's already a better record than Lost, or any TV show.

Does Sophie Turner have anything lined up now that Fox X-Men is over? I guess she can always just enjoy life as a Jonas wife.

I suspect the people who will go on to have the strongest post-GOT careers are the ones who came to the show with already established careers.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I suspect the people who will go on to have the strongest post-GOT careers are the ones who came to the show with already established careers.

Maybe, but Momoa/Clarke have (at least could have if the Feige turn out nice and rom com get some renaissance on streaming) quite the bank raked outside GOT.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

I saw a recent interview from Clarke saying that she's not really interested in diving into another franchise soon (most likely after the failures of Solo and that Terminator movie she was in) so it'll probably be a while until she signs up for, say, an MCU movie. Haven't seen this yet but I thought she fared quite nicely in a very non-Dany type of role in Me Before You (at least once her character in that had evolved beyond being a manic pixie dream girl) so I wouldn't mind if she continued along the romcom sort of route but alas those movies are so scarce these days.

Edited by filmlover
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I saw a recent interview from Clarke saying that she's not really interested in diving into another franchise soon (most likely after the failures of Solo and that Terminator movie she was in) so it'll probably be a while until she signs up for, say, an MCU movie. Haven't seen this yet but I thought she fared quite nicely in a very non-Dany type of role in Me Before You (at least once her character in that had evolved beyond being a manic pixie dream girl) so I wouldn't mind if she continued along the romcom sort of route but alas those movies are so scarce these days.

I think with Clarke we are looking at an Emma Watson type situation. Emma Watson always used to be the most popular among her young HP cast mates and when HP finished she tried to do some indie stuff that she felt passionate about.And while some of them were great and some of them...not so much, Watson still had to go back to a known IP to find her next big success (B&TB).IMO, Clarke is the most beloved actor to come out of GOT but if her desire to do indies won’t go anywhere, and I hate to say this, she will eventually need to resort to one of these huge franchises. Whether Marvel,DC,SW or you name it I think these franchises will always have a place for an actress with Emilia’s following.Thank god, she actually has the acting chops to pull anything off.

• Like 2

Love Actually and The Holiday have 64% and 49% on RT.

Also, The Greatest Showman sits at only 56%.

Seriously, RT is worthless for womens movies, because most of male critics just lack the balls to confess they cried like a baby when everything was fine in the end. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I think with Clarke we are looking at an Emma Watson type situation. Emma Watson always used to be the most popular among her young HP cast mates and when HP finished she tried to do some indie stuff that she felt passionate about.And while some of them were great and some of them...not so much, Watson still had to go back to a known IP to find her next big success (B&TB).IMO, Clarke is the most beloved actor to come out of GOT but if her desire to do indies won’t go anywhere, and I hate to say this, she will eventually need to resort to one of these huge franchises. Whether Marvel,DC,SW or you name it I think these franchises will always have a place for an actress with Emilia’s following.Thank god, she actually has the acting chops to pull anything off.

Not *anything*. I think a lot of those who saw Genisys would disagree.

Edited by Jay Beezy

16 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Whether Marvel,DC,SW or you name it I think these franchises will always have a place for an actress with Emilia’s following.Thank god, she actually has the acting chops to pull anything off.

She already made one of those (it's just that the movie flopped lol).

I think most of the younger GoT cast are pretty bad actors, tbh. The writers learned to write for Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner, but neither has much range. Harington and guy who played Bran were both so bad that I think it affected Jon Snow and Bran's arcs, because both characters are way more complex in the books. Emilia's performance was like 50% wig/aesthetics/cgi dragons. Madden was the only one who lived up to/surpassed what was in the books. I'm pretty sure they'll all disappear in the next 5 years. 

32 minutes ago, kells said:

I think most of the younger GoT cast are pretty bad actors, tbh. The writers learned to write for Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner, but neither has much range. Harington and guy who played Bran were both so bad that I think it affected Jon Snow and Bran's arcs, because both characters are way more complex in the books. Emilia's performance was like 50% wig/aesthetics/cgi dragons. Madden was the only one who lived up to/surpassed what was in the books. I'm pretty sure they'll all disappear in the next 5 years. 

Her work in S8 even with the shit that she was given was phenomenal.Ans Emilia was good thought out.I will agree about the rest...

• Thanks 1