CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

4 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Johnny English looks likely to be another hit for Universal OS, it’ll likely do peanuts in the US

Venom’s UK debut was five days so it must have been very close between it and JE which was a three day opener 

Edited by Jonwo

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

Venom 2 is 100% happening.

I think Sony should focus on Venom 2, considering the post credits scene. No Morbius movie for now.

They should do Venom 2 but change the director. 

I think Sony needs to careful because Venom’s success won’t translate to other characters. If they do Morbius, they’ll be in for a very big shock 

Massive opening for Venom. More than Ant-Man and the Wasp with bad reviews/buzz and no MCU connection is quite impressive. Funny book movies continue to be on fire. Gonna have to wait and see what the legs will be like but no doubt Sony is rejoicing over this start. It's gonna be in the black soon, if it isn't already.

A Star is Born also got off to an excellent start for a low-budget adult drama. There wasn't a single dry eye in my sold out audience when it ended yesterday so I can't imagine WOM being anything but amazing. Excited to see where it goes from here.

Some brutal drops among the holdovers but that's expected given how enormous the top two were. Great drop for Smallfoot though, should be on track for about $80M.

Free Solo is looking to be yet another documentary smash hit for 2018. The Hate U Give did fine but we'll have to wait and see how it does when it opens wide in two weeks. Colette is doing better than I thought it would considering there wasn't much buzz for it at all.

Looks like Disney's gonna have to wait until Nutcracker opens in a few weeks for their creative accounts to figure out how to get Christopher Robin over $100M.

The Old Man & the Gun is looking to make about the same as All is Lost a few years ago, probably a bit less.

Just now, Jonwo said:

I bet Universal are kicking themselves for releasing First Man the week after Venom and ASIB. 

I always thought it made more sense as a summer counterprogramming title but I guess they wanted those festival premieres. It'll do fine, but the next Gravity or Interstellar or The Martian it won't be.

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

They should do Venom 2 but change the director. 

I think Sony needs to careful because Venom’s success won’t translate to other characters. If they do Morbius, they’ll be in for a very big shock 

Morbius would likely work better in a Blade movie.

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I will crack the fuck up if Universal released First Man where they did just so it could get festival and awards buzz only for it to get left out. 

Gosling looks to deliver another boring performance. meh

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I will crack the fuck up if Universal released First Man where they did just so it could get festival and awards buzz only for it to get left out. 

It won't. It's still looking very good for two acting noms and a couple of techs. I suspect it won't win anything other than maybe a tech category though.