CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

20 minutes ago, bladels said:

Joanne debuted with 201K copies in its 1st week - second highest debut for a female artist only behind Beyonce's album.

Yes, it's far from 1M+ copies debut of Born This Way but it isn't bad either considering it's a country/soft rock album.

It’s the 2nd highest of a year where there were barely any relevant female artists releasing. And even so it was far behind Beyoncé who debuted with almost 700K. Lady Gaga used to be the most relevant female pop star in the world and now she’s fallen so much that she had to switch careers. Her peers like Adele(who debuted with 3 million), Taylor Swift (who debuted with 1 million) are all outdoing her. 

Country albums tend to sell better since it appeals to middle America - so given that the album should have done better. The truth is Joanne is her worst selling album to date and she’s been on a steep decline ever since her first album. Artpop was deemed a huge failure and Joanne did even worse. 

Lady-Gaga-totals-1.jpg

Edited by GraceRandolph

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's likely gonna make more (much more, perhaps) than the $151M La La Land made. Probably even more than The Greatest Showman too.

Too bad the movie isn't going to receive much oscar bump when the nomination kicks in, 

Probably another 10m if the movie is leggy enough,  and if WB willing to postpone the home media release 

20 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

It’s the 2nd highest of a year where there were barely any relevant female artists releasing. And even so it was far behind Beyoncé who debuted with almost 700K. Lady Gaga used to be the most relevant female pop star in the world and now she’s fallen so much that she had to switch careers. Her peers like Adele(who debuted with 3 million), Taylor Swift (who debuted with 1 million) are all outdoing her. 

Country albums tend to sell better since it appeals to middle America - so given that the album should have done better. The truth is Joanne is her worst selling album to date and she’s been on a steep decline ever since her first album. Artpop was deemed a huge failure and Joanne did even worse. 

Lady-Gaga-totals-1.jpg

Nah, she still doing better than all who's not A+ star.

She has fallen a lot from her peak, sure. I'm not arguing with you about that.

What I disagree with you is you talking like nobody cares about her anymore when she still moves 200K+ albums in 1 week. Country albums are known for longevity not debuting power.

She didn't "have to" switch career, she's still gonna release new music in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ASIB number is a little disappointing. It's still above tracking but not as high as it could have been.

Amazing for Venom tho, can't see how it miss $80M with that Sat while Mon is a holiday.

Edited by bladels
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Casting will be crucial for the other Sonyverse films. Tom Hardy was a lightning in a bottle casting.

I mean, Hardy has actual charm so he can have effortless fun with a role like Brock/Venom. Then there are the charmless beings like Leto who overcompensate by trying too hard.

Leto and Sony will learn only the wrong things from Venom's success, so Morbius could be an unparalleled experience of pain and awkwardness. Cannot wait tbh 

39 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

now she’s fallen so much that she had to switch careers

Really only in america that over 1.5 millions sales leaving probably over 2 million a year's in revenues with the tours mean you have to switch career, how will you feed yourself.

In 2018 it is hard to sell 5,000 albums in many market (that number is often enough to make the top 20 of the year)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

With a (racist, dumb) holiday on Monday I think Venom is hitting 80m. Good for my fucking boy - my dude is a draw! And if my audience is any indication, WOM on this is going to be much, much better than I expected. 200 is doable :Venom:

Star is doing just fine for the kind of movie it is. With a good Sunday hold it does 43 million. That's a good start and it could easily still do 150m. The first hour of that film is pretty much just a flat fucking transcendent masterpiece, and it brings it home enough at the end that I have no problem calling it the best of the year so far, or close - even if the introduction of one character is a clear dividing line for a general decline for the rest of the film.

• Like 1