CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

Man BOT has truly died. Big ass weekend and we haven't got 40 pages yet. How much longer until BOT dies for real?

Edited by CJohn
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Man BOT has truly died. Big ass weekend and we haven't got 40 pages yet. How much longer until BOT dies for real?

Remember when these kind of weekend threads would reach 200 pages :sparta:

A typical weekend thread now barely reaches the high teens. 

Edited by Nova
  • Sad 1

Venom and ASIB's numbers are both good and bad. 

In Venom's case the numbers are good in light of downbeat expectations that this would be Catwoman-level bad and potentially struggle to do $60M. But they're bad given that this IS a Marvel property aftter all, and one of the most popular comic book villains out there. 

ASIB's numbers are good in light of a popstar film debut/actor directorial debut/3rd remake/R-rated musical/$25-30M tracking. But they're bad given that some were thinking it'd hit $50-60M + it played somewhat front-loaded during the weekend so I'm not sure legs are a given. 

That being said, both could have been disasters, particularly the latter. 

Let's not forget that for her film debut, '90s relic Britney Spears was awarded with not one but TWO Razzies (Worst Actress/Worst Song) and was never given another film role. True or true @GraceRandolph

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

Remember when these kind of weekend threads would reach 200 pages :sparta:

A typical weekend thread now barely reaches the high teens. 

This is just not fun anymore. It is not what it used to be.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yea the thread derailments and what not aren't here anymore and it's just blah for the most part 

I tried to start the weekend slightly early and it nearly got deleted. Fun just isn't allowed anymore.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Venom and ASIB's numbers are both good and bad. 

In Venom's case the numbers are good in light of downbeat expectations that this would be Catwoman-level bad and potentially struggle to do $60M. But they're bad given that this IS a Marvel property aftter all, and one of the most popular comic book villains out there. 

ASIB's numbers are good in light of a popstar film debut/actor directorial debut/3rd remake/R-rated musical/$25-30M tracking. But they're bad given that some were thinking it'd hit $50-60M + it played somewhat front-loaded during the weekend so I'm not sure legs are a given. 

That being said, both could have been disasters, particularly the latter. 

Let's not forget that for her film debut, '90s relic Britney Spears was awarded with not one but TWO Razzies (Worst Actress/Worst Song) and was never given another film role. True or true @GraceRandolph

What's NOT a given: legs will be less than 3x.

I'm sure it will not have bad legs like Mamma Mia 2. I realize this one is a remake, but MM2 was also a sequel. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if its Sunday is underestimated when actuals come up tomorrow.

What are your final total predictions for it?

35 minutes ago, CJohn said:

We put part of it down to a lot of people ready to celebrate at Venoms downfall party suddenly having their balloons popped giphy.gif

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I tried to start the weekend slightly early and it nearly got deleted. Fun just isn't allowed anymore.

I think a lot of people were hoping for Venom bombing and possibly being #2 for the weekend.

Instead it nearly doubles A Star is Born, so they lost all the wind in their sales

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Bad Times at the El Royale is only tracking at 9.5m ?

😥

I have it pegged for $10M but wouldn't be surprised if it settled for $8-9M. If the reviews were weak instead of pretty good it would probably flop hard with like a single digits total. Never looked like something that would make bank in theaters.