CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I think a lot of people were hoping for Venom bombing and possibly being #2 for the weekend.

Instead it nearly doubles A Star is Born, so they lost all the wind in their sales

Wasn’t Venom tracking at $70m for weeks? It’s really not that surprising. 

Both films beat tracking. 

Any decline in BOT can be chalked up to defections more than thread quality. Tele is gone, Gopher is gone, TOG is gone, CJohn is gone, Chewy and baumer barely post, Water Bottle and AndyLL are more focused on being admins....we just need to get some of the old heads back for a weekend.

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I think a lot of people were hoping for Venom bombing and possibly being #2 for the weekend.

Instead it nearly doubles A Star is Born, so they lost all the wind in their sales

Yes, it's a solid result for Venom. But when you're so hard celebrating CBM victory over R-rated drama it looks kind of ... pathetic.:redcapes:

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Any decline in BOT can be chalked up to defections more than thread quality. Tele is gone, Gopher is gone, TOG is gone, CJohn is gone, Chewy and baumer barely post, Water Bottle and AndyLL are more focused on being admins....we just need to get some of the old heads back for a weekend.

it's true i am the only quality poster left. sad to see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It sorta feels like the Politics section is where most of the action is at these days (at least in terms of generating the most consistent activity).

Edited by filmlover

2 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Venom and ASIB's numbers are both good and bad. 

In Venom's case the numbers are good in light of downbeat expectations that this would be Catwoman-level bad and potentially struggle to do $60M. But they're bad given that this IS a Marvel property aftter all, and one of the most popular comic book villains out there. 

ASIB's numbers are good in light of a popstar film debut/actor directorial debut/3rd remake/R-rated musical/$25-30M tracking. But they're bad given that some were thinking it'd hit $50-60M + it played somewhat front-loaded during the weekend so I'm not sure legs are a given. 

That being said, both could have been disasters, particularly the latter. 

Let's not forget that for her film debut, '90s relic Britney Spears was awarded with not one but TWO Razzies (Worst Actress/Worst Song) and was never given another film role. True or true @GraceRandolph

To be fair pop legend Britney Spears was still the biggest artist at the time coming off a highly successful album with back to back global hits. The movie was a cash grab side project à la the Spice Girls movie - strictly for her tween fans. It was never meant to get any awards or acclaim.  ASIB in contrast is the only thing keeping Gaga's relevancy on life support. Let's hope that her new career does not meet the same brutal end as her previous one. With Gaga's ego it's only a matter of time before she decides to direct and star in her own "artistic" movie - sweeping the Razzies and yet again becoming the joke/fad of another industry. 

Edited by GraceRandolph

Who cares about who is posting it’s always been about the numbers and it’s obvious when they don’t go the way the people moaning want they divert attention to something else. Let’s all celebrate and understand why their is such a big difference between the critics and audience ratings of venom and what it means for the credibility of critics and places like rotten tomatoes/cinema score going forward 

Well guys, this was... fine I guess? I am very disappointed to see what BOT has become. Hopefully the forums are still around for the big dogs of 2019.

I wish you all good stuff for the next few months. Maybe we will talk again in the future. Meanwhile, @MrPink will have to continue to serve as my go to guy when it comes to random rants and crazy old man ramblings.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

I'm not sure why ASIB is painted as a failure by some people, $42m OW for this sort of film is pretty great and it'll have nice drops throughout the run. When WB scheduled this against Venom, they knew it wasn't to clinch the top spot but it won't matter as it's going to be very profitable.

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I'm not sure why ASIB is painted as a failure by some people, $42m OW for this sort of film is pretty great and it'll have nice drops throughout the run. When WB scheduled this against Venom, they knew it wasn't to clinch the top spot but it won't matter as it's going to be very profitable.

I'm tired of these trolls. I predicted $32m originally until its reviews came out and I said $40.4m. Even with those awesome pre-sales, I still didn't go for over $45M OW as I learned my lesson with Mamma Mia 2 (I overpredicted that one by $13m). 

One word to say to them and to those who think it will be frontloaded by having 40%+ drops just because it didn't open over $50M: BYE FELICIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Just now, Jonwo said:

If I remember correctly it was supposed to open in late September but was moved to mid-May and then back to October once they figured it was gonna be an awards player. They were probably thinking it was gonna be leggy throughout awards season (and after seeing it, it will be) so the fact it's gotten off to such a big start (against a $30M budget as well) must make them very happy. I wouldn't be surprised by a sub-35% drop next weekend even with First Man opening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Well guys, this was... fine I guess? I am very disappointed to see what BOT has become. Hopefully the forums are still around for the big dogs of 2019.

:qotd:all this build up for 2020... don't know what i'll do if forum shuts down before avatar 2... it's my reason for posting

7 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I was expecting A Star is Born to put up much more of a fight, what with all the reviews and hype.

Even if it made $40 million+, Venom pretty much ate its head off, then piled the body in the corner.

Because venom was better and proved it without having to rely on critics too busy blowing smoke up asses oblivious to the public opinions

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Who was insane enough to think that Venom would lose to ASIB? 

9 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Who cares about who is posting it’s always been about the numbers and it’s obvious when they don’t go the way the people moaning want they divert attention to something else. Let’s all celebrate and understand why their is such a big difference between the critics and audience ratings of venom and what it means for the credibility of critics and places like rotten tomatoes/cinema score going forward 

3 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Because venom was better and proved it without having to rely on critics too busy blowing smoke up asses oblivious to the public opinions

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1