Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

47 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Ya, no... representation is important, sure, but as a character, he was bland as fuck. Whole movie was forgettable shit except the first 15 minutes, though, so it fits.

Again, I’m not playing this dance. Film was beautiful and somber, exactly like it needed to be given the circumstances. Namor characterization and world building was AMAZING and was critically and public acclaimed for it. There are people that praise "bonkers shit" and opinions are like asses, but I think Wakanda Forever just like Black Panther is a very important and very well crafted film, I don’t think it’s time for revisionist history bullshit right now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

I mean... honestly who gives a shit? Despite a good idea, he as a character and the world as a whole was far less interesting than the bonkers shit we got in Aquaman and he left no impression beyond a shirt-lived internet discourse about his bulge. Just leave 'em under the sea and if, ten years from now, once you have the actual X-Men in the MCU, you wanna use Namor again, recasting is easy.

Totally cool if you prefer bombasticness over an attempt at deconstructing how colonialism screws over multiple marginalized people. I also liked Aquaman! But these are two different movies doing two different things; The only similarity is water and superhero movie.

Onto the topic at hand...Marvel seems to have a very "Wait and see" / "Let's hope this doesn't grow too big in the public consciousness so we can just keep making movies with them" approach, so basically, fuck him for  doing that to that woman.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

Ya, no... representation is important, sure, but as a character, he was bland as fuck. Whole movie was forgettable shit except the first 15 minutes, though, so it fits.

Movie was just slow & boring.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

32 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I liked the movie but it wasn't focused enough. It didn't need Ironheart at all, Martin Freeman's character was overused, and I couldn't take Letitia's character seriously. Other than that it was good.

I actually liked Martin Freeman's storyline though. I didn't expect them to connect him to Valentina which was a fun twist. I agree with the rest though. Personally, I understand why they went the direction they did but I would've recast T'challa. Hearing what the original plot was supposed to be, I think it would've worked a lot better.

Edited by poweranimals

On 6/11/2023 at 7:23 AM, ZattMurdock said:

it not only left an impression, but it’s actually fucking important to people in Mexico and South America

People in Mexico and South America are proud of Namor as a character and Talocan as a location in the MCU.

im from down there and I dont think anybody gave a single crud, maybe its different for Mexicans, but the movie just came and went 

4 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

im from down there and I dont think anybody gave a single crud, maybe its different for Mexicans, but the movie just came and went 

I’m from Brazil, and deep into comic book culture since as long as I can remember. Trust me, it did. 

Just now, WittyUsername said:

To be fair, doesn't Brazil tend to be crazy about CBMs in general? 

Nope. Not all of them. Similar to the US sure, but the themes of colonialism on both Black Panther and Namor hit close to home more than most films. Namor being a Mexican / South American Marvel character is a pretty massive deal to a lot of Brown and Black people both in Mexico and South America. For one, I’ve never seen a single character in comics or otherwise getting so many music references by mainstream music artists around here like Black Panther. Wakanda and Black Panther are a phenomenon, Namor and Talocan have an opportunity of doing similar to South American people like Black Panther did for Black people across the globe.

30 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Namor and Talocan have an opportunity of doing similar to South American people like Black Panther did for Black people across the globe.

IF Namor gets a solo film, we'll know Marvel agrees with you. Otherwise, they're in the same rights trap as Hulk which apparently limits how they're able to write and advertise the character if they don't want to hand over 30%(?)+ of the film's revenue to another studio. I know a marvel exec glancingly talked about how much trouble the contractual stuff gave them with marketing namor. 

9 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

To be fair, doesn't Brazil tend to be crazy about CBMs in general? 

Yes. BP and WF numbers in Brazil are nothing out of ordinary. 37M and 21M respectively. Iron Man 3 made 47M. Avatar and AWOW made 59M and 46M. It's an over exaggeraton that BP franchise is something special there when clearly other movies made more. I don't care if it's exchange rates or whatever, they cannot be taken as an excuse every single time. 

Brazil is crazy about CBM. There are receipts on BOM.

9 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Yep, this.

• Like 1

So yeah an update on the whole Tenoch Huerta’s accusations thing:

First I want to preface this saying that Spanish isn’t my first language, and while I tried to read all the details of what this former girlfriend is accusing him, I’m sorry but I’m kinda pissed off.

What I understood from her first out of the cuff accusation was that he had sexually assaulted her and that he was a ‘sexual predator’. Now she is saying that they had a relationship and that the gist of it is that when it didn’t work, he stopped talking to her and others? Basically ghosting? I mean, I’m sorry that he is an asshole, I’m sorry that she felt bad for this but let’s be fucking real here, I’ve ghosted people in the past, I’ve been ghosted too. Accusing someone of sexual assault and that they are sexual predators over this?!

Come the fuck on. Please if anyone is Mexican or understands Spanish, correct me if I’m missing out something here. Comparing this shit to Majors and Miller is one bridge too far for me. Also it’d be really cool if people don’t abuse of the good will of people making very heavy claims if only to backtrack with big words later. Seriously, what the fuck.

12 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

So yeah an update on the whole Tenoch Huerta’s accusations thing:

First I want to preface this saying that Spanish isn’t my first language, and while I tried to read all the details of what this former girlfriend is accusing him, I’m sorry but I’m kinda pissed off.

What I understood from her first out of the cuff accusation was that he had sexually assaulted her and that he was a ‘sexual predator’. Now she is saying that they had a relationship and that the gist of it is that when it didn’t work, he stopped talking to her and others? Basically ghosting? I mean, I’m sorry that he is an asshole, I’m sorry that she felt bad for this but let’s be fucking real here, I’ve ghosted people in the past, I’ve been ghosted too. Accusing someone of sexual assault and that they are sexual predators over this?!

Come the fuck on. Please if anyone is Mexican or understands Spanish, correct me if I’m missing out something here. Comparing this shit to Majors and Miller is one bridge too far for me. Also it’d be really cool if people don’t abuse of the good will of people making very heavy claims if only to backtrack with big words later. Seriously, what the fuck.

She also says that he would remove the condom during intercourse, without her knowledge or consent. That's really bad, if true.

But yeah. He ghosted her and she's upset about it.

1 minute ago, LVB said:

She also says that he would remove the condom during intercourse, without her knowledge or consent. That's really bad, if true.

But yeah. He ghosted her and she's upset about it.

Where that it’s mentioned? Like wtf. I read this shit two times but I was so pissed off at what seemed like she was backtracking that I missed. 

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Where that it’s mentioned? Like wtf. I read this shit two times but I was so pissed off at what seemed like she was backtracking that I missed. 

Here:

"Los actos consensuados en un inicio no determinan que sigan siéndolo todo el tiempo porque quitarse el condón sin avisar, ES UN DELITO de agresión sexual y en inglés se le conoce como stealthing".

1 minute ago, LVB said:

Here:

"Los actos consensuados en un inicio no determinan que sigan siéndolo todo el tiempo porque quitarse el condón sin avisar, ES UN DELITO de agresión sexual y en inglés se le conoce como stealthing".

Thanks. Yeah, interesting way of wording this, very lawyered up but I can’t blame her since accusing someone of that without proof wouldn’t go well in Mexico either I believe. Stealthing would be a serious criminal offense around here in Brazil too, since it’s basically sexual violation under fraud. With that said, yeah I still don’t like this. Researched "Tenoch Huerta stealthing" on Twitter and while I would like to wait and see if more women come forward, my opinion over this situation has changed. Basically, this thread says everything I’m thinking right now:

And most of all:

Tenoch’s anticolorism cause in Mexico and worldwide is extremely important. Same for Elena’s cause against sexual assault in Mexico, which she obviously and undeniably was a victim of, but I can’t and I won’t in good conscience accuse Huerta based on a he said / she said situation that is an obviously a very distinct situation than what either Majors or Miller are facing. This only gave racists ammo and with all due respect to Elena, but those trolls attacking her and harassing her online are awful, but you can’t directly blame Tenoch on that either. Shitty situation, yes, but clearly it would be cool if people work through their emotions before making heavy claims like this and then talk about how she felt upset that he ghosted her. Look, being emotionally responsible is important, taking out your condom without your partner’s consent is fucking sexual assault under California law and several other countries, including Brazil, and even if it wasn’t it’s fucking despicable, but if that happens, you break up with the asshole and take it to the authorities.

And what this one said. Thank you Google Translate. With that said, that this become an wake up call for both women and men: if someone takes out the condom without the consent, speak up and take their ass to the police, and if you are the one taking out, fuck you and I hope that your ass go to prison.