Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

1 minute ago, Juan Caballo said:

If Disney/Marvel is going to keep botching/slathering these movies to shoehorn a less than 2 hours movie,

What’re you talking about? MoM and L&T are relatively short because the directors don’t do long movies. That’s their style. Eternals and NWH were 2.5 hours (or more). 

This idea that Marvel or Disney is keeping runtimes down is the funniest example of recency bias I’ve seen in a while.

• Like 4

i don't think marvel have shoehorned or forced their filmmakers to make "short" movies. raimi and waititi have both said they are "the shorter the better" type filmmakers for years. most of their movies are under 2 hours. i dunno if coogler is the same deal. his last marvel movie did quite well so i'm sure if he wants to go a little longer they'll let him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Juan Caballo said:

What's even the point of having directors like Sam Raimi

4 minutes ago, Juan Caballo said:

shoehorn a less than 2 hours movie,

Most of Raimi’s movies are under 2 hours or just about 2 hours like Strange was lol.

Just now, StormbreakerXXR said:

What’re you talking about? MoM and L&T are relatively short because the directors don’t do long movies. That’s their style. Eternals and NWH were 2.5 hours (or more). 

This idea that Marvel or Disney is keeping runtimes down is the funniest example of recency bias I’ve seen in a while.

Bruh. It's obvious these movies needed more time. And they are being cut for financial reasons. Which I get it, but they are killing them. Just like the Disney Plus shows, the movies are being trimmed down into crap. 

Most reviews and video/reviews say that it feels rushed and the pace is all over the place. Taika said he has a 4 hour version. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Juan Caballo said:

Bruh. It's obvious these movies needed more time. And they are being cut for financial reasons. Which I get it, but they are killing them. Just like the Disney Plus shows, the movies are being trimmed down into crap. 

Most reviews and video/reviews say that it feels rushed and the pace is all over the place. Taika said he has a 4 hour version. 

Dude most movies start out with a lot of runtime and are edited down of what works best thanks to the editors. That’s filmmaking 101.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Juan Caballo said:

You do know every film has a 4 hour version… it’s called the first cut workprint

• Like 3

I don't want to say Grace is the most reliable source, even tho she has been pretty good recently. And it's obvious she has good sources. 

But she said in her Thor 4 review that her sources said they had a 4 hour cut  and that they had a a lot of trouble cutting it down to under 2 hours for more showtimes. 

2 minutes ago, Juan Caballo said:

Bruh ofc I know. Like... you get what I'm saying. Don't play smart. 

I'm not saying to release the 4 hour thing. 

Just because a movie is longer, doesn’t mean it’s better. The stuff that got cut probably didn’t test well or work and Taika usually makes brisk movies. These problems critically seem to stem from fundamental screenwriting issues that editing and length won’t fix 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Just because a movie is longer, doesn’t mean it’s better. The stuff that got cut probably didn’t test well or work and Taika usually makes brisk movies. These problems critically seem to stem from fundamental screenwriting issues that editing and length won’t fix 

Ok. I will keep living my delusion that Disney is killing their movies for smaller runtime and more showtimes. 

21 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

Well in general the post-Endgame track record has been super spotty. Papa Feige now has to oversee 4-5 shows and 3-4 movies a year, which makes quality control a lot harder, which makes everything suffer. We are already seeing this with a good majority of their movies and shows over the past couple years, and I see very little reason to believe otherwise. Even major directors that people love like Raimi and Waititi are now pumping out meh-tastic pictures that frankly probably would have been way better if they cut back on all these shows. Ryan Coogler is not safe here.

Plus, while I'm never a "bad production means bad movie" kind of guy, the loss of Chadwick and the Letitia drama, both of which probably meant a ton of last-minute rewrites, just seems like something that is impossible to fix, and will damage the movie in some way. Would love to be proven wrong of course, especially because Black Panther is one of my favorite movies of all time, but there is very little reason to be optimistic or hopeful about...anything these days.

I understand your fears. I have the same feelings as well. However, I have faith in Coogler for being so passionate and being so close to Chadwick that he wants to pay tribute. This movie has had more going against it than probably any other MCU movie and it seems that it was Disney execs that forced Feige and Coogler to keep it in 2022. However, until we start seeing more substance, there's no reason not to think/hope that they will do this justice.

41 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

At this point, it would not at all surprise me if this movie is seen as another mixed bag for Marvel. I get the impression that they might’ve rushed to get this out in 2022. 

And I don't know why when they're making gangbusters with DISNEY+, but they have their quarterly mandates for box office revenue, I guess...especially now that LIGHTYEAR is failing.  

Edited by Macleod