Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

Only hope for MCU to avoid full streak of middling reception movies in a year. Would be quite something if it manages to do it, the one with the most troubled bts and production drama turns out to have the best reception and quality. Not holding too much expectations tho.

• Like 1

Bad reviews for BPWK would look much worse than it would for other movies getting bad reviews. It would look worse for Eternals coming off of Chloe's previous "Nomad" because they were completely different films. People know how competent Coogler is (despite lack of volume release). They know his passion for relevant content.  Coming off of a superhero movie that was SO different than anything else in genre would look horrible with bad reviews or, quite possibly, even with mixed or average views.

Critics (and most viewers) don't take into consideration the horrible time constraints and losses of beloved actors when evaulating films. Even if the film is an amazing action film with tremendous world building and tear-jerking emotional tribute to Chadwick in a way that his the feels and sentiment, there will be TONS of viewers (or sadly non-viewers) who review and obsess with the idea that they should have recast T'Challa.

I read one person theorize that maybe T'Challa is missing or incapacitated somehow, but comes in as a credit scene having been recast to our surprise. That would be interesting.

I know Marvel's done this before, but I feel like a recast for a major character like this would always lead to failure. You would have people who are like "Chadwick IS T'Challa" and everybody scrutinizing the new actor's performance and how he stacks up to Chadwick, as well as people arguing casting a new actor is insensitive after he just passed away. Just feels like it would be such a headache and really unfair to whoever they cast that it just wouldn't work. Besides, Feige's already on the record saying T'Challa would never be recast anyways, so this would make things even more controversial.

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i was one of the ones who thought they probably should've just recast but doing it as a surprise reveal at the end of the movie is an awwwful idea. you can't just spring that on people lol.

Is that iofficial or just a speculation? Cause all rumors point at Shuri as the new BP. I get that Wright detractors don't want it but if she's killing it in the role and Disney paid her enough to stay out of trouble going forward, they have no reason to do some big switch at the end. 

Just now, Valonqar said:

Is that iofficial or just a speculation? Cause all rumors point at Shuri as the new BP. I get that Wright detractors don't want it but if she's killing it in the role and Disney paid her enough to stay out of trouble going forward, they have no reason to do some big switch at the end. 

literally one post above mine. it's not happening.

52 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I wouldn't even put it as anything more than just an idea someone had. I shouldn't even use the word rumor.

A T'challa child is a rumor. But it hasn't been brought up in a while so who knows. Personally, I think THAT would be a great choice (and could explain Nakia's absence in the final EG battle-she's off protecting the child in an indisclosed place (both having NOT been blipped.

Personally, I think a symbolic T'Challa as a live Black Panther "guardian" would be cool. Probably not popular to others, but I like the idea. We see them in the ancestral plane.

I also imagine they will do emotional speech(es) about T'Challa, what he represented, and who he would have wanted to do (such as make peace with Namor) which will lead to a union of the two forces against Attuma.

16 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I wouldn't even put it as anything more than just an idea someone had. I shouldn't even use the word rumor.

A T'challa child is a rumor. But it hasn't been brought up in a while so who knows. Personally, I think THAT would be a great choice (and could explain Nakia's absence in the final EG battle-she's off protecting the child in an indisclosed place (both having NOT been blipped.

T'Challa's child makes even less sense. They would have to set all BP movies in the future for the child to grow up unless they plan to call the movies Black Panther Cub/Kitten. ;)

2 hours ago, Eric the Minion said:

I know Marvel's done this before, but I feel like a recast for a major character like this would always lead to failure. You would have people who are like "Chadwick IS T'Challa" and everybody scrutinizing the new actor's performance and how he stacks up to Chadwick, as well as people arguing casting a new actor is insensitive after he just passed away. Just feels like it would be such a headache and really unfair to whoever they cast that it just wouldn't work. Besides, Feige's already on the record saying T'Challa would never be recast anyways, so this would make things even more controversial.

I think what they’ll do is have either a descendant of TChalla holding the mantle or one of Nakia, Okoye, M’Baku or Shuri take the title. 

58 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

T'Challa's child makes even less sense. They would have to set all BP movies in the future for the child to grow up unless they plan to call the movies Black Panther Cub/Kitten. ;)

Not that hard, have the kid be 8-10, by the time Panther 3 comes, have the story take 8-10 years later and he’s sporting the mantle.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

I think what they’ll do is have either a descendant of TChalla holding the mantle or one of Nakia, Okoye, M’Baku or Shuri take the title. 

Does T’Challa have descendants at this point? He’s like 35 in the MCU with no known children. As for the rest, it would either be Shuri by default or someone new via “whatever excuse they can make to justify it.”

3 hours ago, jedijake said:

Coming off of a superhero movie that was SO different than anything else in genre 

it was?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Makes a lot of sense actually. He'd be the future of Wakanda and BP. The timeframe works. He won't become BP until at least 18. The emphasis could be on protecting him. NOt being blipped and having Nakia absent from the EG battle makes a ton of sense. Sure, we have an introdution to Ironheart/Riri, but she seems to be more on a different trajectory that may fit in better with Spiderman and Armor Wars.

And setting up the future for the child to grow up would be a great story. By THEN they could recast T'Challa as an ancestor in the plane. And with the young avengers (Kamala, Kate, Riri, America, Eli Bradley) they are already planting the seeds, this would be a great tradition and addition. I'm totally down with it. He just would not have a big role at all in the movie if he is in this one.

@interiorgatordecoratoryes it was. The culture, representation, world building, social issues...those were all groundbreaking for a superhero movie and fantasy movie in general.

Edited by jedijake
adding something
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Valonqar said:

If it was a planned surprise reveal, then it wouldn't be "official" obviously.  Anyway, we hardly know anything about what *really* happens in this movie...and I am grateful for it.  But I'm sure more and more will disappointingly leak out as promo begins circulating.  Would be grand to see the movie and have the ultra surprise that they did actually shoot something with Boseman before he passed...but unlikely, I guess. 

11 hours ago, Macleod said:

If it was a planned surprise reveal, then it wouldn't be "official" obviously.  Anyway, we hardly know anything about what *really* happens in this movie...and I am grateful for it.  But I'm sure more and more will disappointingly leak out as promo begins circulating.  Would be grand to see the movie and have the ultra surprise that they did actually shoot something with Boseman before he passed...but unlikely, I guess. 

The movie wouldn’t have shot anything before Boseman passed. He died during lockdown, and the cameras didn’t begin rolling until nearly an entire year later. 

Is it that there are rumors that Shuri is the new BP or is it just simply assumed?

And I think we can forget about the surprise new T'Challa. It was one idea someone came up with and no more. I should never have posted it and regret doing so.