Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Venom with -55.5% drop - 35.7m | A Star is Born -34.7% - 28m | First Man disappointing with 16.5m | Goosebumps 2 16.225m | Bad Times for Bad Times At The El Royale with 7.225m

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Because the Titanic sinking and thousands of people dying looks way more epic than Ryan Gosling looking bored while trying to play an astronaute.

Fair enough, that's not the point I'm making though

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The difference there is Titanic was mainly about two fictionalized characters whose fates we didn't know of. That can't be said of First Man (or most biopics for that matter).

Exactly, and there's a million other examples of movies where you basically know how it's going to end. Even those examples of Gravity and The Martian, you know going in that Sandra Bullock and Matt Damon aren't going to die horrible lonely deaths in space.

Gosling is an absolutely amazing actor. His work in Blue Valentine deserved many awards. He is also a lot more versatile than people give him credit for. Take Nice Guys for example. Dude has great comedy chops that are super polished. You can tell he has been in the business since he was a kid. Look at True Believer and Half Nelson, dude can act your face off.

• Like 4

If The Academy gave Ryan Gosling an Oscar, he would probably retire and go become an indie director or something. That's how over it he looks. But I wouldnt even blame him. He's been in the industry from a young age. 

Just now, Nova said:

If The Academy gave Ryan Gosling an Oscar, he would probably retire and go become an indie director or something. That's how over it he looks. But I wouldnt even blame him. He's been in the industry from a young age. 

He tried directing once (Lost River) but the film was a savaged flop that Warner Bros. tried to sell off but nobody wanted it and was inevitably dumped with no fanfare.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Is it bad that I had no clue First Man was coming out this weekend?

Is it bad that I thought the movie is about a cave mAn?

Without this forum I wouldn't even know the title exists, let alone what the movie is about (now I know.... but only rather very roughly)

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

It's crazy that people think Gosling is a bad actor.

It always confuses me whenever someone says he always plays lethargic characters. Crazy, Stupid, Love? The Big Short? The Nice Guys?! Yep, he was definitely in quiet Drive mode in all of those.

• Like 6

is that the Damien Chazelle-directed drama, starring Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong, earned $1.1 million in Thursday previews last night. That's a solid number, and the hope is that it pulls an $18m-$22m debut weekend while A Star Is Born is doing its thing, just as Captain Phillips snagged a $25.7m opening right alongside Gravity's blockbuster $43m (-22%) second weekend.

But the trivia of note is that the "from Earth to the Moon" drama earned $370,000 of its $1.1 million preview gross in 404 IMAX auditoriums. That represents a whopping 33.6% of its total gross in 14.7% of its 2,850 theaters. That's a record, in terms of percentage, for an IMAX Thursday preview for a wide release. With previews starting at 7:00 pm, the film expands to 3,640 theaters this morning. Overall, it earned a $302 per-theater average last night. But in its IMAX theaters, it earned $915 per theater.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/10/12/first-man-thursday-previews-broke-an-imax-box-office-record/#2ccfef86662c

breaks an IMAX record (an not important one in myPOV, but atleast some comments... about WE expections of him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guys... I have the option between El Royale and First Man to go watch tonight (in about an hour).

Both 141 mins, so time can't help me decide. Any opinions on which I should watch? Rotten Tomatoes had Critics swing towards FM and audiences towards BTatER

Thanks for any help :) 

EDIT: I should mention I will see both regardless this weekend, it's just a case of which I see first (tonight).

Edited by feasby007