WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

Does not matter.  If it makes 2B with rave reviews he will just cite random critics who hate it and the like.  It is just like that guy who hated Spiderverse 2 and Puss N Boots 2.  He kept going on and on about them being financial disasters.  He also loved Flash and Shazam 2, and he constantly insisted they were unquestioned hits and everybody saying otherwise was homophobic.

56 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I hope this film is good, not because I particularly care but just because it would be funny to see this guy eat crow

I'll eat crow if it gets over 8 final imdb and above the line Oscar nominations to match promises and hype Paramount set. You wanna bet?

On 9/14/2024 at 8:23 AM, emoviefan said:

Okay you were making a joke then. Got it.  And yes the movie is great. One of the modern classics.

You might want to watch the 1964 film 'Fall Of The Roman Empire" from which "GLadiator" borrows an awful lot.

Except for the GLadiator angle, is is almost a semi remake with noble Roman general vs Mad Emperor Commdius..played by Cristopher Plummer in a really good performance.

So will it be a case of We Who Are About To Flop Salute You?

I would hate to have to bet  on how thid does. 

One problem the film has..and here we go again...is if thr 300 Million dollar budget is true, it could actually sell quite a few tickets, but still lose money or barely break even because of the cost.

we see this time and time again. Studios are going to have to get control of these out of control budgets. In today'snew climate, they just cannot afford them anymore.

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

One problem the film has..and here we go again...is if thr 300 Million dollar budget is true, it could actually sell quite a few tickets, but still lose money or barely break even because of the cost.

we see this time and time again. Studios are going to have to get control of these out of control budgets. In today'snew climate, they just cannot afford them anymore.

These days for many movies the theatrical release is just the commercial for the streaming deals and profits generated from video later on. Every once in a while you get a IO2 or D&W which makes all the money in the world.

Gladiator is too expensive and boxoffice is important, but it should make back its money eventually.

Edited by Mojoguy

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

These days for many movies the theatrical release is just the commercial for the streaming deals and profits generated from video later on. Every once in a while you get a IO2 or D&W which makes all the money in the world.

Gladiator is too expensive and boxoffice is important, but it should make back its money eventually.

You don't spend that much money to just break even or make a minor profit.

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

We have to remember inflation and increase of production costs. 300 mln today is not 300 mln 10 years ago, that's one of the reasons why budgets ballooned besides gross mismanagement.

18 minutes ago, Firepower said:

We have to remember inflation and increase of production costs. 300 mln today is not 300 mln 10 years ago, that's one of the reasons why budgets ballooned besides gross mismanagement.

Yeah but Dune 2 cost 190M.

Other people here keep trying to say “but the strikes!”, but the strikes only increased the budget by 10M. Even Deadpool and Wolverine (a film that was also shut down due to strikes) only cost 200M.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I agree that inflation and increased production costs are a factor, but no way that incompetence and mismanagement is not responsible for these huge overuns. I can see maybe a extra ten to 20 Million bucks due to inflation, but when you are talking around a hundred million overrun, that has got to be incompetence.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Even Deadpool and Wolverine (a film that was also shut down due to strikes) only cost 200M.

I don't believe it cost 200M after strikes, it's cheaper than The Marvels. Reported MCU budgets are usually way lower than real ones.

56 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I don't believe it cost 200M after strikes, it's cheaper than The Marvels. Reported MCU budgets are usually way lower than real ones.

I just go by whatever the trades say. But even if D&W cost 250M and G2 only cost 250M (which is probably what they’ll say since they’re trying to scrub the 310M number), why does it cost more than a PG-13 grand-scale sequel film with a dozen A-listers? Or the third Deadpool film with Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Jackman, and a bunch of cameos?

Even Oppenheimer, from consistent hit-maker Christopher Nolan, cost 100M and Barbie cost 145M. Both with big A-list casts. This film is Denzel Washington, some TV stars, and a bunch of nobodies (even the lead) with what looks to be the same scale as Dune. Maybe it will do big numbers, but that’s just silly.

18 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I just go by whatever the trades say. But even if D&W cost 250M and G2 only cost 250M (which is probably what they’ll say since they’re trying to scrub the 310M number), why does it cost more than a PG-13 grand-scale sequel film with a dozen A-listers? Or the third Deadpool film with Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Jackman, and a bunch of cameos?

I don't know, it was supposed to cost 165M initially and then its budget exploded. Maybe they stole all those money. I remember Ridley was really irresponsible with Robin Hood budget which would adjust to almost 300M today and those money weren't on screen because Ridley, Russell and Blanchett paid themselves too much and on top of that Ridley was wasting millions on sets that were barely used. Maybe something similar happened here.

Edited by Firepower

41 minutes ago, excel1 said:

FWIW this is the only remaining film of the year that my group of dude bro friends all collectively want to see

I know everybody is saying how strong the potential for the rest of the year for the Box Office is but most of those movies are not movies targeting me or targeting males in general. Monoa 2, Wicked , Mufasa , and Sonic 3 all skew families or to a female audience. Gladiator 2 is easily my most anticipated movie of the rest of the year and is the one movie targeting men . I hope it works and a certain user on this thread does not get to gloat that they were right about it.