sfran43

Weekend Thread : Asgardian #'s on p.17 ~ 19.6M Saturday

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

WHat is LOL about that? That is how Disney..and every studio operates. You expect the big hits to cover the costs of your flops.

It's LOL because this is a box office website, what's wrong with discussing any studio's flops, even top dog Disney's? I like most Disney films, the studio has a good track record when it comes to family films but I will talk about their flops and disappointments just like I do any other studio. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Operation Finale went straight to Netflix here in the UK

Same in Canada. I watched it last month, it wasn't bad at all. First half was better than the second for sure IMO. 

1 minute ago, Litio said:

Today is Dia dos Muertos in Mexico, and I would like to congrats my lovely Star Wars saga in this special day. You showed us how hard is to keep a successful franchise. Happy Death day (2U).

I watched Coco this week. Beautiful, amazing movie. Bumping to my top 3 of 2017

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It's LOL because this is a box office website, what's wrong with discussing any studio's flops, even top dog Disney's? I like most Disney films, the studio has a good track record when it comes to family films but I will talk about their flops and disappointments just like I do any other studio. 

Oh, absolutely. I have been predicting Nutcracker was going to be  major league flop for some time, and thought that "Solo" would underperform, though I not quite expecting it to out and out flop;I thought the SW brand was not enough to make it a success but enough to save it from absolute floppage.

But we do have one person here who absolutely loves everything Disney does and get very upset if the Mouse is criticized in any way......

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

There is nothing wrong about discussing anyone's flops, and Disney have such huge bombs that it's hilarious. But there is just as little wrong about saying that they've made profits so huge from some other films that they cover whatever losses Disney had. Cause, y'know, it's true and it's how the business works, especially in Disney's case when they have had three movies this year that have 1B+ in profit alone. It's almost hypocritical to deny that or repress the mentioning of that in a box office forum, and I'm not even of the mindset that Disney are our overlords and saviors and everything they do is amazing or anything (I hope I'm not the person you were talking about, @dudalb), I'm just saying it as it is. And AWIT and Nutcracker aren't movies that will ever make them lose sleep anyway. Of course Disney doesn't stand for a Solo-esque situation, but Solo is a giant anomaly for a myriad of reasons, particularly that it's a Star Wars movie. But in all honesty, even though AWIT and Nutcracker have lost or will lose them hundreds of millions, they'll probably just laugh those movies out of existence like they did the likes of Tomorrowland or The BFG, other failed live-action 'experiments' from their brand. Disney are not in the same position as everyone else due to their tentpoles-only strategy, and while they bomb huge when they bomb, they also succeed gigantically when they succeed, which evens things out.... Christopher Robins or even Ant-Man And The Wasps - movies that are smaller scale hits, and one could call them underperformers too, but hits nonetheless - are kinda rare for Disney nowadays.

I think for Disney to only have three flops so far in a year out of the 10-12 movies they release annually is still pretty solid. You look at Fox and aside from Deadpool 2 and The Greatest Showman the latter which came in 2017, they've had a rough year, they must be grateful that Bohemian Rhapsody has opened so well and Widows will likely be a success too.

Edited by Jonwo

So Disney has 8 movies so far this year, 4 superhero, 4 not.    

4 superhero movies have a combined gross of 2200M DOM, 3050 OS.   

4 nonsuperhero movies looking at maybe 500M DOM, OS 300+whatever nutcracker makes.    

What a crazy, crazy difference in what is making them money.

• Like 3

Disney were smart to buy up studios that understand blockbusters more than they do. Wonder what will happen when they don't have any more big fairytales to adapt into live action? Then they will almost completely be relying on Marvel and hopefully Star Wars, as far as live action fair is concerned.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

But Blumhouse is still producing the movie.

I'm just saying, I imagine that's where some of the confusion could come from. Quick peek at the Wikipedia page shows this:

Production
company

It'll still be a Blum joint, but the rights issues with Unbreakable seem to have put a lot more hands on this pie.

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I'm just saying, I imagine that's where some of the confusion could come from. Quick peek at the Wikipedia page shows this:

Production
company

It'll still be a Blum joint, but the rights issues with Unbreakable seem to have put a lot more hands on this pie.

Yeah. I’m sure the logo will be in front of the film despite not being in the trailers (though Klansman was produced by Blumhouse and didn’t have the logo)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Disney were smart to buy up studios that understand blockbusters more than they do. Wonder what will happen when they don't have any more big fairytales to adapt into live action? Then they will almost completely be relying on Marvel and hopefully Star Wars, as far as live action fair is concerned.

They did ok before they bought Lucasfilm and Marvel. What with being the biggest entertainment name in the business. 

I’m sure they’ll do just fine. Sure, they’re milking that remake train with everything they’ve got - but never forget they are THE studio when it comes to animation. It’s their legacy and the reason they’re so beloved over not far off a century. 

• Like 2