sfran43

Weekend Thread ~ The Grinch 67m+ per DHD

15 minutes ago, MattW said:

If they had made another within 3 years for the same budget as this one has it would have been great.

True but the reason the Fincher movie never got a follow-up was because the budget was too big (due to Fincher being notorious for going overbudget - even $40M for a drama that mostly takes place in boardrooms or a college campus starring mostly then-unknown 20-somethings seems a bit much) and barely turned a profit and it was likely much cheaper to start with an entirely fresh creative team.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

True but the reason the Fincher movie never got a follow-up was because the budget was too big (due to Fincher being notorious for going overbudget - even $40M for a drama that mostly takes place in boardrooms or a college campus starring mostly then-unknown 20-somethings seems a bit much) and barely turned a profit and it was likely much cheaper to start with an entirely fresh creative team.

With is 111.87m net production budget (almost 120m with the parcipation bonuses) and 107.5m worldwide release cost, it didn't turn a profit, it made a small lost both for the third party financiers and for the studio.

• Like 3

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I see people claim that Dragon Tattoo made money but I don't believe that it did. Sony would have been dumb to give Fincher another 100mil for a sequel.

Maybe a tv series following the movie? i mean, at the time the novels were wuge (also the two versions of  the first movie were really great movies) and they could capitalize on the name alone (at the time) and make a tv series (or miniseries) of the rest of the books. 

Just thinking outloud. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, edmkh said:

Maybe a tv series following the movie? i mean, at the time the novels were wuge (also the two versions of  the first movie were really great movies) and they could capitalize on the name alone (at the time) and make a tv series (or miniseries) of the rest of the books. 

Just thinking outloud. 

I actually think that a limited television series would have been a good idea. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I see people claim that Dragon Tattoo made money but I don't believe that it did. Sony would have been dumb to give Fincher another 100mil for a sequel.

Making this reboot was even dumber decision. At least Fincher's sequel would have been good. Dragon Tattoo probably made money after all these years, 90 mln budget against 232 mln grosses is not that bad, it's an underperfomance, but definitely not outright flop like some people think, otherwise Sony wouldn't even have tried to make a sequel for years.

23 minutes ago, Nova said:

So what have I missed this weekend? 

Basically: Illuminati did it again but may or may not have butchered another Dr. Seuss property in the process; Freddie Mercury is Live Aiding the box office as we can see with the strong hold for his Queen's biopic; the Lisbeth Salander movie not based on a novel actually written by Stieg Larsson was given the nope; a live action Call Of Duty Nazi Zombies movie is both a flop and a moral success at the same time; and Jason Reitman is finding new ways for his movies to bomb harder than before.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Making this reboot was even dumber decision. At least Fincher's sequel would have been good. Dragon Tattoo probably made money after all these years, 90 mln budget against 232 mln grosses is not that bad, it's an underperfomance, but definitely not outright flop like some people think, otherwise Sony wouldn't even have tried to make a sequel for years.

Would have made if the 90 million figure was accurate, but the Sony leaked accounting showed it was more expensive than that, almost 120m with participation bonus, more than half of is box office, with a near 110m world release.

Lost around 11m, to quote myself a couple of message above:

With is 111.87m net production budget (almost 120m with the parcipation bonuses) and 107.5m worldwide release cost, it didn't turn a profit, it made a small lost both for the third party financiers and for the studio.

• Like 2

I’m not as offended at Illumination butchering The Grinch as the material was already plenty butchered by Jim Carrey.

It’s different from the Lorax where that was the first butchering, thus more painful

Edited by PANDA

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Grinch is slaying, Spider's Web flopped, and Hugh Jackman's awards contender flopped even harder.

Everything is going according to plan.

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Basically: Illuminati did it again but may or may not have butchered another Dr. Seuss property in the process; Freddie Mercury is Live Aiding the box office as we can see with the strong hold for his Queen's biopic; the Lisbeth Salander movie not based on a novel actually written by Stieg Larsson was given the nope; a live action Call Of Duty Nazi Zombies movies is both a flop and a moral success at the same time; and Jason Reitman is finding new ways for his movies to bomb harder than before.

Thanks for the summary guys. Seems like November is an appetizer for December. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Would have made if the 90 million figure was accurate, but the Sony leaked accounting showed it was more expensive than that, almost 120m with participation bonus, more than half of is box office, with a near 110m world release.

Lost around 11m, to quote myself a couple of message above:

Even if Fincher's Tattoo budget was higher, this reboot will lose more money anyway ☺️

Edited by Firepower

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Thanks for the summary guys. Seems like November is an appetizer for December. 

To an extent, yeah. And Beasts 2 is set to let some people down as well.... I'm not sure if it crosses 200M DOM at this point tbh. But we still have Ralph 2 and Creed II left to go, and I presume both of those will slay. There are also lofty predictions for Widows, Instant Family and Green Book out there, so maybe we could have one or more Wonder-esque breakouts.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

To an extent, yeah. And Beasts 2 is set to let some people down as well.... I'm not sure if it crosses 200M DOM at this point tbh. But we still have Ralph 2 and Creed II left to go, and I presume both of those will slay. There are also lofty predictions for Widows, Instant Family and Green Book out there, so maybe we could have one or more Wonder-esque breakouts.

Hmm I live in the Philly area and I drove on the main highway in the area and there were literally 6 different billboards for Creed II. Then again thats expected given the location BUT to be honest I wouldn't be shocked at a $35-$40M OW for it. Seems to be building buzz at the right time. 

Not sure where Widows is gonna land but I hope it's a slay for Queen Viola. 

Fantastic Beast will prob still do really well despite it getting meh reviews but I'm hoping for a Widows breakout against it. 

• Like 1

I have Fantastic Beasts 2 pegged for a $70M opening next weekend but wouldn't be surprised if it went lower. Definitely feels like a "everyone who can't have enough of the Wizarding World, dive on in; everyone else, go about your lives" sort of deal. Shades of The Desolation of Smaug tbh.

• Like 2

Looking at Rooney Mara’s filmography post Dragon Tattoo, the only movie which has made over 40M is Lion (worldwide only Lion and Pan above 100M) and she wasn’t exactly the focus of that movie. She feels like an actress who would have been a bigger star if romcoms were still around. Feels like she really needs a franchise role ASAP.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Basically: Illuminati did it again but may or may not have butchered another Dr. Seuss property in the process; Freddie Mercury is Live Aiding the box office as we can see with the strong hold for his Queen's biopic; the Lisbeth Salander movie not based on a novel actually written by Stieg Larsson was given the nope; a live action Call Of Duty Nazi Zombies movie is both a flop and a moral success at the same time; and Jason Reitman is finding new ways for his movies to bomb harder than before.

I forgot that The Front Runner was a Jason Reitman joint. Man that guy has been blowing it for years. Even when his films get good reviews like Tully did, nobody cares. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

She feels like an actress who would have been a bigger star if romcoms were still around.

what? i feel the contrary. she's in no way suited for rom coms. lacks charm and charisma.  she's made for drama

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1