sfran43

Weekend Thread ~ The Grinch 67m+ per DHD

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Front Runner's rough $9,800 PTA for the weekend according to Deadline just goes to show that even specialty crowds have become fickle about parting with their cash in recent years.

The Front Runner doesn't look good,  that's why it's not doing well. It looks and smells like failed Oscarbait. 

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Front Runner doesn't look good,  that's why it's not doing well. It looks and smells like failed Oscarbait. 

I doubt anyone expected a movie about a political scandal from 30 years ago with tepid reviews released at a time when politics is literally everywhere to make any money but that's still a brutal number for a Hugh Jackman vehicle. It expands to 48 theaters next weekend before going "wide" on Thanksgiving but I doubt it'll be in more than 400-500 theaters with these numbers.

48 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I doubt anyone expected a movie about a political scandal from 30 years ago with tepid reviews released at a time when politics is literally everywhere to make any money but that's still a brutal number for a Hugh Jackman vehicle. It expands to 48 theaters next weekend before going "wide" on Thanksgiving but I doubt it'll be in more than 400-500 theaters with these numbers.

Sony is still probably taking it to 1k theaters or so. The poster has been up at my AMC (right next to Mary Queen of Scots).

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The Front Runner's rough $9,800 PTA for the weekend according to Deadline just goes to show that even specialty crowds have become fickle about parting with their cash in recent years.

To be fair, very few specialty crowds will go to an average movie with average reviews.

24 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sony is still probably taking it to 1k theaters or so. The poster has been up at my AMC (right next to Mary Queen of Scots).

We'll see. If I remember correctly Lionsgate planned to take Last Flag Flying into wide release around Thanksgiving last year but axed those plans because the limited grosses were too poor to justify getting it into too many theaters and taking away screens (and in the end saw its theater count stall at just over 100 theaters). Though it's set to open at a bunch of theaters around here on the 21st (it opens at the theater I frequent next weekend) so perhaps they'll put it in that many theaters despite the potentially embarrassing PTA.

Edited by filmlover

19 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

With 172 I think it has now achieved a 4x multiplier.  

Gravity did 4.91x (274.092/55.785). At 210.7m ASIB will have beat it. Like with Gravity it will need awards bo push for that.

Daily Domestic Chart for Friday November 9th, 2018

← Previous Chart Chart Index  

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- (3) The Nutcracker and the Four… Walt Disney $2,373,000 +186% 3,766 $630   $28,064,534 8
- (2) A Star is Born Warner Bros. $2,315,000 +131% 2,848 $813   $172,325,388 36
- (9) Smallfoot Warner Bros. $310,000 +96% 1,318 $235   $79,111,553 43
- (-) Indivisible Pure Flix Entertain… $50,500 -16% 202 $250   $3,257,193 15
- (-) Incredibles 2 Walt Disney $30,000 +190% 140 $214   $608,183,459 148
- (-) Christopher Robin Walt Disney $17,000 +84% 122 $139   $99,065,784 99