sfran43

Weekend Thread ~ The Grinch 67m+ per DHD

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

Still don’t understand the success of this movie 

I don't understand the success of many movies. And some failures.

More often than not, the mainstream and myself don't see eye to eye with.

29 minutes ago, John Marston said:

MONDAY is a holiday which will inflate the Sunday 

Not that much

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?view=1day&sortdate=2012-11-11&p=.htm

Sunday, November 11, 2012

<<Prev Day <Wk <Mo <Yr

>Yr >Mo >Wk >>Next Day
TD YD Title (Click to View) Studio Daily Gross % +/- YD / LW Theaters / Avg Gross To-Date Day
1 1 Skyfall Sony $24,001,093 -29% - 3,505 $6,848 $90,564,714 3
2 2 Wreck-It Ralph BV $10,264,757 -31% -28% 3,752 $2,736 $93,647,405 10
3 3 Flight Par. $4,019,696 -38% -34% 2,047 $1,964 $47,455,396 10
4 4 Argo WB $1,747,467 -43% -27% 2,763 $632 $85,583,187 31
5 5 Taken 2 Fox $1,014,826 -44% -22% 2,487 $408 $131,300,000 38
6 7 Cloud Atlas WB $809,930 -29% -45% 2,023 $400 $22,844,956 17
7 9 Hotel Transylvania Sony $781,687 -29% -35% 2,566 $305 $140,954,208 45
8 10 The Man with the Iron Fists Uni. $758,160 -30% -59% 1,872 $405 $12,821,030 10
9 6 Here Comes the Boom Sony $683,547 -40% -19% 2,044 $334 $39,033,885 31
10 8 Pitch Perfect Uni. $660,725 -41% -1% 1,391 $475 $59,099,993 45
11 11 Paranormal Activity 4 Par. $481,989 -45% -44% 2,348 $205 $52,600,612 24

52 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Would be a great opening for The Grinch. It should leg it out through Thanksgiving and Christmas to get past 200, possibly 240 from a 60M+ opening. Awful for both Overlord and Spider's Web. Decent but unspectacular hold for Bohemian Rhapsody. Will start falling behind Star is Born by bigger margins going forward.

I wonder why The Grinch opened lower than The Lorax, still a great opening for Illumination, not everything is going to perform like SLOP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

in the trailer for spider's web (which i have seen 1700 times at the cinema and it's not even out here yet so i'm still not free from it) they're talking about the villain has nuclear launch codes or some bullshit like that, did they just go full mission impossible with this one? dragon tattoo to this is like the jump in nonsense from fast and furious one to fast and furious 8 in one movie.

I just saw GISW today (Dolby Cinema) and yes, it basically has nothing to do with the themes and scope of the real "Dragon Tattoo" trilogy. They do go full Mission Impossible with this one, LOL.

That said, if you forget about all that and just view it AS a Mission Impossible/James Bond kind of film, it's pretty good. For the most part, I was entertained. Yes, the middle was a convoluted mess, but then that's true of all the MI and Bond films of the past 10 years too.

Overall, I was glad to spend an A-List slot on it. The film does take advantage of the Atmos sound and large screen.

• Like 3

Being the Grinch I would hazard to guess if 17m holds then 28-30m on Saturday is more likely. It may go up nearly 100% sans previews as the kiddie and family set go out. Either way, I think the estimate will be 60m barring something crazy tonight and Saturday. 

• Like 1

Sorry but a 9 million opening is not remotely okay for a film with a 43mil budget. And Overlord isn't doing any better considering it's budget is 38mil. Both better hope for some decent overseas numbers. 

If that Bohemian Rhapsody number is real that wouldn't be a bad drop but it would be noticeably worst than A Star is Born's. I think it will end up doing a little better than what the early numbers might suggest. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Sorry but a 9 million opening is not remotely okay for a film with a 43mil budget. And Overlord isn't doing any better considering it's budget is 38mil. Both better hope for some decent overseas numbers. 

Having seen Spider Web, I would not expect any good multiplier legs either, could be hard to reach 2.75x

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Mildly tempted to make a Bohemian Rhaspody OW > Fantastic Beasts OW club (domestic), but I have had too many failures and I don't even believe it myself. HOWEVER, it feels right in spirit. 

That's not happening m8. 

Now, Bohemian Rhapsody Total>Beasts? I might be down for that.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's not happening m8. 

Now, Bohemian Rhapsody Total>Beasts? I might be down for that.

Yea it's not gonna happen - still too much fanbase.

Total I feel is a cinch, tbh. I'd join that in a second.

I looked at The Lorax's numbers and that had poor legs for an animated film considering it open so high. 

I'll be curious to see how The Grinch does OS although it only opening in a handful of markets this weekend. Dr Seuss' track record in the international market isn't great but I imagine it'll triple what the 2000 film did overseas. 

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

At last I can finally begin the ranking we’ve waited for all year.

Cat

Grinch 18

Horton

Grinch 00

Lorax

So you started with a F grade movie and yet managed to work your way down.  :lol: 

I'd give Horton a C- and put it easily on the top but it doesn't come near the made for TV Seuss material

Best and really only good Seuss feature film is the crazy The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T  (Seuss was the screenwriter)

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

So you started with a F grade movie and yet managed to work your way down.  :lol: 

I'd give Horton a C- and put it easily on the top but it doesn't come near the made for TV Seuss material

Best and really only good Seuss feature film is the crazy The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T  (Seuss was the screenwriter)

The Cat in the Hat for me is what The Room or Birdemic is to other people. It's an atrocious film by all objective standards. And yet, I find the film so fascinatingly bad that I find myself kind of enjoying it.

The creative decisions made in this movie are just so mind-boggling that it becomes a movie like no other. And while stuff like The Room and other so bad it's good movies are indpendendtly produced and helmed by one crazy visionary, Cat in the Hat is the opposite.

This film had a massive budget, major stars, and a multiple, well-paid professional producers who had to approve every creative decision. They looked at the horrifying make-up, the weird over-the-top acting, the Asian stereotype babysitter, multiple sex jokes, and a Paris Hilton cameo, and thought "yeah, this is okay to show to the masses."

It's truly a fascinating and bizarre film to laugh and make fun of, yet there's really no other film like it. All the other Seuss movie adaptations are either amusing or bland and obnoxious, while Cat in the Hat is just...mystifying, and by far the most entertaining.

There's my two cents.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4