sfran43

Weekend Thread ~ The Grinch 67m+ per DHD

Overlord comps from DHD:

The Julius Avery movie made $900K in previews last night which is more than Spider’s Web $635K at 2,620 sites that started at 7PM. Overlord‘s figures are on par with the Thursday previews of Annihilation ($900K, $3.9M Friday, $11.1M opening) earlier this year and the Guillermo del Toro gothic spooky pic Crimson Peak ($855K Thursday, $5.3M Friday, $13.1M opening).

Claire Foy's big coming out as a movie star is not going anywhere this year. And no I am not saying that her career is over or any such silly thing. She's a good actress and still might score a supporting actress nomination for First Flop. 

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Claire Foy's big coming out as a movie star is not going anywhere this year. And no I am not saying that her career is over or any such silly thing. She's a good actress and still might score a supporting actress nomination for First Flop. 

All of these movies would've underperformed/flopped regardless of who was in them. The Girl in the Spider's Web in particular felt like a movie that was doomed from the get-go. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

OMFG I FORGOT ABOUT THE GIRLS NIGHT OUT SHOWINGS :hahaha: 

The Favourite isn't even out yet, and already Olivia Colman's film career is exceeding Claire Foy. That's sad.

Beginning of this year: "Claire Foy could win for First Man, and Olivia Colman could be nominated!"

Now: "Claire Foy will probably miss a nomination, and Olivia Colman may win!"

:hahaha: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

All of these movies would've underperformed/flopped regardless of who was in them. The Girl in the Spider's Web in particular felt like a movie that was doomed from the get-go. 

You can say the same thing about any actor and it would be true. I'm not saying that she caused the films that she played in to flop. But she did play in the flops. 

I don't get why any promising actress would sign on to a guaranteed under performer if not flop, like Spider's Web. I just don't think that the project was ever promising.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

You can say the same thing about any actor and it would be true. I'm not saying that she caused the films that she played in to flop. But she did play in the flops. 

I don't get why any promising actress would sign on to a guaranteed under performer if not flop, like Spider's Web. I just don't think thar the project was ever promising.

It takes a lot for success to cross mediums in general. For example, Melissa McCarthy became a big name movie star not long after Mike & Molly premiered and that show was never more than a mid-level hit the entire time it was on even after she skyrocketed to fame and became an Emmy winner for the show (although let's be honest, that win was really for Bridesmaids). Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I remember the same thing happening with Haley Bennett 2 years ago. That was supposed to be her big coming out year and after all the movies she was in flopped/underperformed, she hasn't done anything of significance since.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I remember the same thing happening with Haley Bennett 2 years ago. That was supposed to be her big coming out year and after all the movies she was in flopped/underperformed, she hasn't done anything of significance since.

@CJohn where you at fam

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Yeah sometimes that happens. An actor gets a lot of attention for an upcoming year that could be a break out and things just don't work out. Foy will still get work and is in the hunt for an Oscar nomination. If she gets that nom that is more than what Bennett got during her failed break out period. 

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think the difference is that Claire Foy is actually a good actress whereas Haley just randomly ended up in a bunch of films in a short period of time

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Let's not forget the poster child of actors/actresses whose Big Year didn't take off: :kitschjob:

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Let's not forget the poster child of actors/actresses whose Big Year didn't take off: :kitschjob:

John Carter and Battleship. That had to be one of the biggest, most epic flame outs ever. The guy is still getting work though. He's not going to starve.