WrathOfHan

Thanksgiving Weekend Thread: ESTIMATES (Page 40) | Ralph 55.7M (84.5M Total) | Creed II 35.3M (55.8M Total) | The Grinch 30.2M | Grindelwald 29.7M | Robin Hood 9.1M (14.2M Total) | AMAZING BLACK FRIDAY SALE

2 hours ago, YLF said:

Is widows a flop? No chance at oscars now?

Spider Web is a flop, Widows is more borderline than that.

It is a bit early to tell with 10 markets (with at least 3 major one) to go for a movie that could make close is budget at the domestic box office alone, but legs seem to be mediocre in many market.

And that the bigger issue, a movie flopping do not necessarily matter much at the Oscar, Hugo was one of the biggest flop ever that broke major relationship and producing houses, still got nominated. It will still do more than the Phantom Thread, Room, Brooklyn, etc....

The bigger issue is the what look like timid reception from the old audience that saw it (79% above 25) that usually match a little bit the Academy in taste. Taste between people tend to be quite correlated and if the older audience do not like something, Academy voters also does not like it almost systematically. For all the talk above about the box office of Oscar movies, they almost are still well liked by the people that actually watched them in theater and have good legs.

Now, there is so many new voters from so many country, that precedent in what they like and how they vote is not necessarily a strong metric.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

Wow, was queen that popular all over the world? I never even knew. I’m not old enough to know I guess. I’ve heard their songs but didn’t know the extent of the popularity since I’m a 90s baby.

• Like 1

I really don't understand why Bohemian Rhapsody's success is considered anything of a slight against A Star Is Born - a movie that is going to have made x10 its budget when all is said and done.

The two are barely comparable (original drama featuring original songs v semi-fictionalised biopic that essentially is a stream of music videos of pre-existing massively popular songs), and regardless it's like trying to claim that Avatar outgrossed Jurassic World, ergo the latter is a failure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I really don't understand why Bohemian Rhapsody's success is considered anything of a slight against A Star Is Born - a movie that is going to have made x10 its budget when all is said and done.

The two are barely comparable (original drama featuring original songs v semi-fictionalised biopic that essentially is a stream of music videos of pre-existing massively popular songs), and regardless it's like trying to claim that Avatar outgrossed Jurassic World, ergo the latter is a failure.

It's only a slight in the mind of bitter Britney stans lol. 

• Like 2