That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

Was Solo ever scheduled for December, or was it always for May? Makes me wonder if Disney aren't regretting that decision now, given MPRs performance. Solo was never going to set the world alight, but releasing it so close after Ep VIII hurt it even more.

• Like 2

I was just taking a look at what the non-Star Wars/Jumanji December releases are next year and the most high-profile release and it definitely looks like a quieter Christmas than this one aside from those two. Cats is the big musical of the holidays but that’s probably more likely to be the next Phantom of the Opera than the next Les Miserables. Little Women should be an easy contender for at least $100M based on talent both in front and behind the camera and if it ends up an awards contender. There’s also a Melissa McCarthy movie but it’s another collaboration with her husband so we should probably know better than to expect much there.

4 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Was Solo ever scheduled for December, or was it always for May? Makes me wonder if Disney aren't regretting that decision now, given MPRs performance. Solo was never going to set the world alight, but releasing it so close after Ep VIII hurt it even more.

Solo was going to bomb in any season. there was no real interest in the movie by either GA or fans and even traditional OS markets snubbed it. It isn't the season or closeness to TLJ or whatever. It's that the movie itself didn't interest anyone. It happens. Hollywood makes movies that can't find audience all the time. Even if they are part of a big brand. 

8 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

It was always scheduled for May.

MP friday is a little higher than I expected based on 2007 and 2012. The 5 day should approach 30m now. But that is still 20m under my (and tracking) expectations. 

Good for Bumblebee, even its true Friday is under MP, getting the #2 spot is an unexpected triumph for it. 

Aquaman is fine. Inline with tracking, but nothing more or less. Will be curious to see how the usual DCEU frontloading works for this film. 

1 minute ago, Spagspiria said:

Looks like ITSV was overestimated a good bit. :whosad:

It seems more and more that it may indeed be too niche/geeky for the GA. Excellent reviews and WOM can only help so much if many people dont find the aesthetic and concept interesting.

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

waiting for FB2's Friday number after that -73% theater count loss :Venom:

It’s not even gonna reach $160M at this point. A rather pathetic run considering they were banking on this being the second in a five movie series.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

It seems more and more that it may indeed be too niche/geeky for the GA. Excellent reviews and WOM can only help so much if many people dont find the aesthetic and concept interesting.

This.... just as with MP, some of us tried telling why ITSV wouldnt break out huge and we were called crazy. The film looks good, but I cant watch it until dvd due to the crazy animation style - in a dark theater my head would feel like its exploding and I am sure I am not the only one. 

Just awful numbers for Mary Poppins - feels like they dropped the ball a bit on marketing, appealing too much to nostalgia for the original when it could have flown more on being a cheery, holiday-centric musical that was perfect for Christmas. 

Really crappy December for most everything, though Aquaman is doing better than I would have predicted three months ago (though not any better than three days or three weeks ago).

I think it’s definitely up for debate as to whether or not FB2 will be profitable in its box office run considering how much WB has spent outside of just budget costs on the franchise with those films before and OS shares they get in profit being a lot smaller than DOM.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think it’s definitely up for debate as to whether or not FB2 will be profitable in its box office run considering how much WB has spent outside of just budget costs on the franchise with those films before and OS shares they get in profit being a lot smaller than DOM.

600M worldwide on a 200M budget.. def profitable :thinking:

• Like 1