Eric Prime

WrathofHan and CoolEric's Controversial* Predictions of 2019 (*Controversial results may vary)

August 23

Angel Has Fallen: The :sparta: franchise returns once again, with likely another decline in box office. Mile 22 numbers seem about right. 12/33 (2.75x)

Overcomer: It’s always hard to analyze faith-based movies, as they are easily the most sink-or-swim genre at the box office. But this one does have the guy behind War Room as a director. That will ensure interest in faith-based audiences, as well as potential good holds. Let's assume a higher opening, but strong, if weaker than WR's, legs. 15/80 (5.33x)

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Why do this year’s Dog Days of Summer offerings sound worse than they usually do?

At least with several major releases in the fall season those dog days should be short-lived.

August 2

Dora the Explorer: An action, high school version of Dora sounds fucking hilarious, and I cannot wait to see how this is pulled off. I actually think this might be a good movie. James Bobin and Nicholas Stoller have more hits than misses, so the potential for a good movie is there. However, I do not know who the target audience for this is. Dora isn’t on the air anymore, but I’m sure the show still gets a lot of play on streaming and through reruns. The show’s target audience will be a little too young for this, and will my generation be nostalgic enough to go for this? Idk. If this gets good reviews, families will show up. 25/85 (3.6x)

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw: A+ title right there. Vin Diesel is crying somewhere because this is going to put up a 200M+ gross without his ass in it. This is essential Furious 9 with two characters/actors people love. Statham is coming off of The Meg, and Dwayne Johnson is The Rock even if Skyscraper flopped. Given how dead August is, going over Fate and the Furious should be pretty easy. 90/240 (2.67x)

The New Mutants: This is getting delayed again or pushed to Disney+. No way Fox opens this turd in the wings against a Fast and Furious movie. I’m pretty sure I predicted over 200M for this in last year’s Controversial Predictions, but now, it will be lucky to make a tenth of that. FANT4STIC 2.0 incoming. 20/45 (2.25x)

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

August 9

Artemis Fowl: As we saw this year with A Wrinkle in Time and The Nutcracker, Disney is not bulletproof. Kenneth Branagh’s last couple movies have been pretty solid critically, and maybe Artemis Fowl continues that streak. However, the teaser did absolutely nothing to sell the movie. It doesn’t leave audiences interesting about what the movie has in store and instead looks pretty strange. Maybe the full trailer will be better, but this feels like the type of big budget spectacle to flop (even if this budget isn’t as big as something like Jupiter Ascending orValerian). 15/40 (2.67x)

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark: Shouldn’t this be releasing a month or two later instead of August? Fucking hell, Lionsgate. As Eric mentioned, the crew behind this is strong, so the quality should be here. However, the release date is questionable, and I can’t tell if this is just Lionsgate being Lionsgate or if they are dumping the movie. This should be pushed back a month, especially with the number of family movies this month (this is a family movie, right?). 10/35 (3.5x)

Not going to predict the new Ari Aster movie due to no plot being released.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The New Mutants: This is getting delayed again or pushed to Disney+.

I actually wonder if there aren't contract deals and whatnot that would prevent them from dumping it on streaming without lawsuits coming their way. It's possible Disney just leaves it to die since it wasn't their money being spent.

August 16

The Angry Birds Movie 2: The first Angry Birds movie was a solid hit for Sony and one of the few successful video game movies out there. I doubt families are clamoring for a sequel, but the drop off shouldn’t be too bad. 25/85 (3.6x)

Boss Level: Mel Gibson and Entertainment Studios? Makes sense. Who knows where this could land given how unpredictable ES’ marketing is. Since this is their first movie since Replicas and releasing in an empty month, maybe this hits Kidnap numbers? 8/24 (3x)

Good Boys: As Eric said, this reeks of Happytime Murders. This may have an amusing trailer, but an entire movie of little kids swearing will get old fast.10/25 (2.5x)

PLAYMOBIL: It feels like I’ve been hearing about this movie for ages. PLAYMOBIL isn’t even LEGO’s main competitor (like anyone can compete with them anymore), and Global Road is a flop studio. Do I need to say more? 10/30 (3x)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’ve been thinking Dora has a chance for $100M DOM for a while as well as Paramount biggest film of 2019.

Sonic & Gemini Man are the only other films they have out next year which even have the chance to hit $100m dom 😕

2020 should be a rebound year though, with Top Gun 2 & Quiet Place 2

August 24

Angel Has Fallen: GERRY! 2019 needs its token Gerard Butler movie, and this is it. The Has Fallen series lost a bit of steam with London, and I’ll predict another nearly 40% drop. 13/39 (3x)

Overcomer: War Room was one of the biggest Christian movies of the past few years. The Kendrick brothers are a force to be reckoned with, and I expect their next film to rake in a lot of cash as well. After I Can Only Imagine, maybe this one has a shot at 100M? 15/90 (6x)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

August 9

Artemis Fowl: As we saw this year with A Wrinkle in Time and The Nutcracker, Disney is not bulletproof. Kenneth Branagh’s last couple movies have been pretty solid critically, and maybe Artemis Fowl continues that streak. However, the teaser did absolutely nothing to sell the movie. It doesn’t leave audiences interesting about what the movie has in store and instead looks pretty strange. Maybe the full trailer will be better, but this feels like the type of big budget spectacle to flop (even if this budget isn’t as big as something like Jupiter Ascending orValerian). 15/40 (2.67x)

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark: Shouldn’t this be releasing a month or two later instead of August? Fucking hell, Lionsgate. As Eric mentioned, the crew behind this is strong, so the quality should be here. However, the release date is questionable, and I can’t tell if this is just Lionsgate being Lionsgate or if they are dumping the movie. This should be pushed back a month, especially with the number of family movies this month (this is a family movie, right?). 10/35 (3.5x)

Not going to predict the new Ari Aster movie due to no plot being released.

I hate to do this but UM ACTUALLY the Ari Aster movie does have a plot!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsommar_(film)

• Thanks 1

September 6

It: Chapter 2: I do not know why people are expecting a massive decrease here. Yes, the kids won’t be in it outside of flashbacks, but the first film was a massive hit with audiences for the characters. Now we get to see how they are grown up and played by notable actors (inb4 “Jessica Chastian is a flop actress”). I doubt this strays from the first’s quality and box office. 120/310 (2.58x)

• Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

September 13

Spies in Disguise: What is you doing, Will Smith? The trailer for this film is actually pretty good until Will Smith turns into a bird. Maybe the next trailer will change my view on the film, but I doubt it will be good given Blue Sky’s track record. Box office wise, this faces direct competition from the new Dreamworks movie in two weeks, so I cannot see legs for this being too special given Dreamworks is more consistent than Blue Sky. If the budget is low enough, this could do pretty well I guess. 15/45 (3x)

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1