Eric the Fall Guy

WrathofHan and CoolEric's Controversial* Predictions of 2019 (*Controversial results may vary)

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

September 13

Spies in Disguise: What is you doing, Will Smith? The trailer for this film is actually pretty good until Will Smith turns into a bird. Maybe the next trailer will change my view on the film, but I doubt it will be good given Blue Sky’s track record. Box office wise, this faces direct competition from the new Dreamworks movie in two weeks, so I cannot see legs for this being too special given Dreamworks is more consistent than Blue Sky. If the budget is low enough, this could do pretty well I guess. 15/45 (3x)

I still believe it’ll go to Disney+, the trailer and posters refuse to state the release date.

September 20

Downton Abbey: I have no idea why BOM is listing this as limited. Universal’s been attaching the trailer to their Christmas movies, and the show was very popular while it was airing. It is definitely going wide out of the gate. Movies that are continuations of TV shows tend to be pretty frontloaded, but Downton Abbey’starget audience is seniors, an audience that normally doesn’t rush out to see movies on OW. Legs will probably still be close to a 3x with this in mind. The real question is what will this gross? In both the US and UK, the show averaged over 10M viewers per episode. Translating that to the average ticket price of 2018, that would be 91.4M. With the rise of streaming, that adds even more viewers into the mix. There are a lot of variables at play here, but right now, I think this will go over 100M. 35/105 (3x)

The Kitchen: I have no idea what the tone of this movie will be like. Melissa McCarthy, Tiffany Haddish, and Elisabeth Moss are all very different actresses, so with those three as the leads, I imagine this will have more deadpan humor in it? Idk. This is a Vertigo adaptation and not a DC adaptation, which a lot of people on here are mistaking it for. However, the premise alone sounds fun, and if the quality is there, this could be a good midsize hit. 40/120 (3x)

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

September 13

Spies in Disguise: What is you doing, Will Smith? The trailer for this film is actually pretty good until Will Smith turns into a bird. Maybe the next trailer will change my view on the film, but I doubt it will be good given Blue Sky’s track record. Box office wise, this faces direct competition from the new Dreamworks movie in two weeks, so I cannot see legs for this being too special given Dreamworks is more consistent than Blue Sky. If the budget is low enough, this could do pretty well I guess. 15/45 (3x)

That Dreamworks movie is made for China. And it's another Yeti movie, like Smallfoot or Missing Link.

September 6

It: Chapter 2: This should see a slight decline from the previous movie, but it will still obviously do amazing. The cast has some decent names, the trailers will likely have some good set pieces, and It is still insanely popular. Second biggest September OW, and will probably hold that record for a very long time (inb4 Abominable gets 200M OW)  115/300 (2.61x)

• Like 5

September 13

Spies in Disguise: Blue Sky’s been on a rough patch domestically. Ice Age 5 dropped 60% from the last film, while Ferdinand came and went. This film? I dunno. Abominable will likely hurt its legs, and while the trailer started out promising, the pigeon stuff seems pretty lame. Pretty much every reaction of the movie that I’ve seen consists of, “Man Will Smith in an animated spy comedy? This looks awes--oh, he’s a pigeon now. Umm...okay?” It’s the same reactions as something like Princess and the Frog, only without the catchy Randy Newman songs. Somewhere between Ice Age 5 and Ferdinand sounds about right. 23/75 (3.26x)

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

September 20

The Kitchen: Here’s something interesting: Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish (and Elisabeth Moss) in a crime drama based on a Vertigo comic book series. All three ladies have their fanbases, and the idea of seeing McCarthy and Haddish in a serious movie could be an interesting hook if the marketing plays the subversion in the right ways. It’s hard to really determine how well this movie will do with no understanding of the movie nor its marketing, but I’ll be gutsy and say this will be a surprise hit. 40/120 (3x)

I'm just going to assume Downton Abbey will be limited, mainly because I'm lazy and don't want to do another write-up, so...

• Like 3

September 27

Abominable: Dreamworks’ second animated film under Universal, and largely animated by their former Chinese division, Abominable’s premise seems a bit tired since we just had Smallfoot last year, but I think there’s potential in this one. Dreamworks has better brand recognition than Warner Animation Group, the Chinese setting is more compelling and interesting, and its September and October competition doesn't have much going for them at the moment. I can see a Trolls or Megamind style run here. 45/155 (3.44x)

The Art of Racing in the Rain: Yet another dog movie based on a book. Except this time a book not from the Dog’s Purpose guy, but with Simon Curtis, a director who actually has decent clout behind him, and Simon Bomback, the writer of the recent Planet of the Apes movies. I guess it has that going for it, and the book it’s based on is apparently popular. Don’t see it being a massive hit, but will probably be the biggest out of all of the talking dog movies coming out this year. 18/60 (3.33x)

The Hunt: A Damon Lindelof-scripted political thriller from Blumhouse sounds very interesting and up my alley. There’s very little else known about the project, so it’s hard to really make a prediction, but maybe this will appeal towards adults and the Blumhouse fanbase? 20/70 (3.5x)

• Like 4

So far han these ones are the only ones i agree with:

On 1/3/2018 at 1:38 AM, WrathOfHan said:

January 12

The Post: 40/48/200 (5x from 3 day/4.17x from 4 day)

On 1/3/2018 at 11:43 PM, WrathOfHan said:

February 16

Black Panther:  I can see its 4 day approaching Deadpool’s 132M 3 day. Hell, maybe it matches Deadpool all around! I won’t go quite that far yet, but my prediction could certainly change in two months. 110/130/310 (2.81x from 3 day/2.38x from 4 day)

On 1/4/2018 at 4:19 AM, WrathOfHan said:

February 23

Annihilation I feel it’s destined to gross less than mother! 6/14 (2.33x)

On 1/6/2018 at 5:02 PM, WrathOfHan said:

April 13

The New Mutants: No other movie is daring to face this, and it’s for a good reason. The New Mutants represents a new endeavor in the comic book movie craze: horror. Both genres are coming off record-breaking years, and people want new, unique movies. This fits that bill and is releasing on the perfect date. Friday the 13th always leads to big grosses for horror movies, but how will it affect a superhero horror movie? I’m betting a lot! It also helps that the rest of April and May look a bit light on competition (though it will drop a bit in its second weekend and May 4). Don’t be surprised if this comes close to Logan. 70/200 (2.86x)

On 1/29/2018 at 11:17 PM, WrathOfHan said:

August 17

Crazy Rich Asians: People are predicting big numbers for this because Asians are under-represented in Hollywood and it’s based on a best-selling book. I am not one of those people. Why? Jon M. Chu. We suddenly think the guy who has directed movies like Jem and the Holograms, the Justin Bieber documentaries, Step Up 2 and 3D, Now You See Me 2, and G.I. Joe: Retaliation can suddenly make good movies? I sure as hell don’t. Plus, this is already rated and sitting in the can. Surely if WB was confident in this, footage would have been released by now, no? Let’s not forget the amount of comedies targeting women are coming out over this period. Sorry, I’m not buying this as a big hit. 15/40 (2.67x)

On 2/10/2018 at 4:06 PM, WrathOfHan said:

A Star is Born: 25/85

Venom: 30/75

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19
  • Astonished 1

September 27

Abominable: This is the first Dreamworks movie in almost two and a half years, and it sounds custom made for China. Idk how well this could do domestically, but this sounds like a sweet movie. Until I see a trailer, I will go with Smallfoot numbers.25/85 (3.4x)

The Art of Racing in the Rain: Oh Christ, not another damn dog movie. I don’t fucking know anymore. Will all three of the dog movies this year be within 10M of each other, or will they progressively drop? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 10/30 (3x)

Not gonna predict The Hunt due to no plot details and Lindelof’s spotty track record. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

September 27

Abominable: This is the first Dreamworks movie in almost two and a half years, and it sounds custom made for China. Idk how well this could do domestically, but this sounds like a sweet movie. Until I see a trailer, I will go with Smallfoot numbers.25/85 (3.4x)

Isn't How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World a Dreamworks production?