Eric the Fall Guy

WrathofHan and CoolEric's Controversial* Predictions of 2019 (*Controversial results may vary)

July 26

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: Speaking of people making a fool out of themselves…. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has many, many things going for it. For starters, this is Leonardo DiCaprio’s first film in over three and a half years. He is an undeniable draw that always brings audiences into the theater and made a slow burn like The Revenantnearly hit 200M. Secondly, the rest of the cast is PACKED. Brad Pitt is the co-lead, and although his box office track record has its ups and downs, he is a big A-Lister. Combined with Leo, this is a dynamite combo. The rest of the cast includes Margot Robbie, Al Pacino, and Kurt Russell and is sure to draw in audiences. Finally, there is QT himself. The Hateful Eight underperformed due to its subject matter and runtime, but Django Unchained and Inglourious Basterds were both giant hits that adjust to over 150M (the former is almost at 200M). Hollywood may be his grandest film to date, and it will be a spectacle to see. A trailer has not even dropped, yet hype is high on this film. This is going to be a massive, MASSIVE hit. 60/270 (4.5x)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 3

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

So I know this is supposed to be the controversial* predictions thread (*controversial results may vary), but Han...what is this garbage?

How is that controversial? It's dicaprio's return in a movie by tarantino. Han is spot on with his prediction

• Like 2

Well, I guess I might as well do a couple of mine.

August 2

Dora the Explorer: Just the very idea of this movie’s existence makes me laugh my ass off. A live-action adaptation of a Nick Jr. show that sees Dora dealing with high school? It definitely feels like Paramount was really scrounging for ideas when this got greenlit. Not only is the premise stupid, this movie doesn’t seem like it will appeal to anyone. Preschoolers likely won’t be interested in a live-action spin that sees the character they know all grown up. Hell, the actual show ended in 2014, so do many current-day preschoolers even know who Dora is? The brand has no appeal towards adults, and it’s a stretch to say kids today will have much interest in seeing a show targeted towards babies on the big screen. With Lion King still bringing in money, don’t expect this to stick around. 10/35 (3.5x)

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw: For the record @WrathOfHan, you need to change your name to WrathofHobbs when this comes out. It's just a perfect name change.

Anyway, we finally have a studio capitalizing on the Guardians/Suicide Squad weekend with another big summer end capper. Of course, this won’t be anywhere near as big as those movies, but I think this will do very well. There’s already a lot of publicity for the film with the Rock/Tyrese feud, while Johnson and Statham certainly have their fanbases, and people liked them together in F8 of the Furious. Add on David Leitch as a director, and Idris Elba as the villain, and it’s fair to say this could do reasonably well, especially since August and Labor Day will somewhat alleviate the franchise’s typical frontloaded nature. 80/195 (2.43x)

New Mutants: Ah yes, the X-Men movie that was supposed to come out April last year. Like Dark Phoenix, does anyone actually care about this? Hobbs and Shaw’s already coming out the same day, and Fox is probably twiddling their thumbs, waiting for Disney to put the X-Men in the MCU. And while Dark Phoenix at least has characters fans will recognize there’s nothing for fans of the FOX-Men to really latch on to in the marketing, so there’s even less appeal. Sorry Anya. 20/50 (2.5x)

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 4

August 9

Artemis Fowl: Kenneth Branagh’s follow-up after doing solid business with both Cinderella and Orient Express, this will be a downgrade when it comes to box office. The book series isn’t as popular as it once was, while the trailer was pretty lame, apparently failed to excite fans, and basically came and went online. Lion King will still be roaring strong too, so I don’t see how this will catch on at all. 20/65 (3.5x)

Midsommar: Hereditary surprised everyone with a 3.25x multiplier after a dreadful Cinemascore. Now Ari Aster is back with another movie that will make us shit our pants. It’s a bit hard to judge this movie considering we have no trailer to base off of. Admittedly, I’m leaning towards it making less. Toni Collette’s acclaimed performance helped, and I don’t think the hook in the marketing will be as strong as the tongue clicking kid in the last movie. Scary Stories is also coming out same day. I dunno. Again, I need a trailer. 11/33 (3x)

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark: The director of Autopsy of Jane Doe and Trollhunter, with Guillermo del F*ckin’ Toro as a producer seems like a good creative team. It’s apparently based off a children’s book series, but I don’t think this is going to go for kids based off the director’s previous works. Like Midsommar, one that’s hard to grasp until we get a trailer. Just gonna assume the del Toro name draws people's attentions more than Ari Aster's. 15/40 (2.67x)

• Like 3

August 16

The Angry Birds Movie 2: The first Angry Birds movie crossed $100M 4 or 5 years after the game’s peak in popularity. The sequel’s now coming out 7 or 8 years after the game’s peak in popularity. The first movie had abnormally bad legs for a family movie, not even reaching 3x. Sure, Dory and Pets played a part, but it's clear a lot of people did not like what they saw. Parents have likely already had their wallets drained for the summer and are waiting for the fall releases to come out. Its opening will probably be passable, and maybe having the creator of Cartoon Network's Flapjack as the director will help give it a boost quality-wise. But expect there to be a bit of a drop. 28/80 (2.86x)

Boss Level: *reads premise* lmao is this just an Edge of Tomorrow knock-off with Mel Gibson? Oh Entertainment Studios. Never change. 5/10 (2x)

Good Boys: The concept, an R-rated comedy with Jacob Tremblay and a bunch of other young boys swearing for 90 minutes, sounds like a disaster, even with Rogen as a producer. This won’t be a Happytime Murders-level flop, but expect this to be a dud regardless. 10/23 (2.3x)

PLAYMOBIL: Anya, why? 7/20 (2.86x)

• Like 3