Eric Loves Rey

WrathofHan and CoolEric's Controversial* Predictions of 2019 (*Controversial results may vary)

November 15

The Good Liar: Late 2019 needs its event for seniors ala The Mule, and this seems to be it. Bill Condon is a hit or miss director, but his movies normally bring audiences in. This may not be a 100M grosser, but based on the cast and premise alone, this sounds like a good mid-size hit. 15/75 (5x)

Last Christmas: After A Simple Favor, I am on a Paul Feig high. Last Christmas may sound like a pretty generic Christmas movie, but Feig always brings a unique touch to his films. I am sure that this will be … hold up, Emma Thompson co-wrote this? Well shit, now I’M VERY confident in this film’s quality. This will have good legs going into Christmas, and obviously having Wham!’s song in the trailer will help. 20/110 (5.5x)

Margie Claus: Fred Claus’ long lost spiritual successor? There are two types of Melissa McCarthy movies: her more restrained, down to earth performances and her studio comedies that are almost always panned. Margie Claus does not sound like another Can You Ever Forgive Me?,so let’s assume it is the latter. Ben Falcone is the kiss of death on this. If it does release, I doubt it does anything too special even with Christmas around the corner. 10/40 (4x)

Kingsman 3/Prequel: I’ll echo what Eric said here. The Golden Circle ruined any momentum this series had domestically, and even if this rebounds in quality, it will still be dropping a bit. 30/70 (2.33x)

• Like 3

November 22

Frozen 2: Oh yes. If Incredibles 2 hadn’t come out, this very likely would’ve become the highest grossing animated film of all time, but even with that roadblock, 600M isn’t impossible. Frozen took the world by storm over 5 years ago and is one of Disney’s biggest merchandise sellers. The hype is real for Frozen 2, and we don’t even have a plot yet. This is more a question of how high it can go. I think it can go pretty damn high. In fact, it’ll go high enough to be in the top 5 of the year domestically. That may not seem controversial, but there’s a catch to this I will explain in December. 160/540 (3.5x)

• Like 5
  • Astonished 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

November 27

Knives Out: This is Rian Johnson’s first film post-TLJ, and many eyes will be on him. This film brings him back to his Looper/Brick days, and he is doing so with an all star cast. I’m sure this will be a good movie, but we’ll see how audiences respond. For now, I’ll go with Loopernumbers. 15/20/65 (4.33x/3.25x)

Queen and Slim: Is this really a good Thanksgiving movie? I can’t see a movie revolving around racial issues in a more serious matter doing well over this frame while going wide out of the gate, but I imagine the quality is there. Universal will probably give this a Green Book-like opening in 1k theaters, and WOM should propel it from there. If this is an Oscar contender, legs will be even better. 5/7/35 (7x/5x)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

In fact, it’ll go high enough to be in the top 5 of the year domestically. That may not seem controversial, but there’s a catch to this I will explain in December. 160/540 (3.5x)

I’ve got a bad feeling about this 

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

I used to think it was just man-babies on the internet who hated Last Jedi, but judging by Solo's absolute rejection it looks like audiences gave it a collective shrug. Certainly didn't come close to hitting the cultural zeitgeist of Black Panther/Infinity War outside of maybe nerd-specific internet boards, so sub-$500m dom wouldn't surprise me :L

4 hours ago, TMP said:

I used to think it was just man-babies on the internet who hated Last Jedi, but judging by Solo's absolute rejection it looks like audiences gave it a collective shrug. Certainly didn't come close to hitting the cultural zeitgeist of Black Panther/Infinity War outside of maybe nerd-specific internet boards, so sub-$500m dom wouldn't surprise me :L

Show me some statistics that say people ignored Solo because TLJ was „badly received“. TLJ was divisive, but at the same time it means that it‘s wildly adored by many. I saw the movie three times with three different people. The one girl gave it a 6/10 and still hasn’t changed her mind, but the other two guys absolutely adored the movie, just some personal observation.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Lol I forgot all about that Terminator movie being made. How many times does that franchise need to bomb before they finally get the hint that no one cares anymore?

I’ll see Charlie’s Angels in hopes that it’ll be fun but it wouldn’t surprise me if it stinks either. Midway could go either way: Emmerich has been on a losing streak recently and this sounds like it could be yet another flop for him.

Edited by filmlover

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Lol I forgot all about that Terminator movie being made. How many times does that franchise need to bomb before they finally get the hint that no one cares anymore?

Yeah, but this time original Sarah Connor is back, baby! No GoT cursed actresses!

14 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Terminator: ……..blech. Who knows if this will actually be worth a damn. Linda Hamilton is back, so I guess that’s good. Idk. Until a trailer is out, it is hard to see where this could land after GenitalsGenisys landed with a thud critically. The nearly 90M gross did show that audiences at least somewhat care ahout the franchise still, but another bad movie will not bring in those numbers. We’ll see. 20/50 (2.5x)

Are you even suggesting visionary auter Tim Miller isn't creating another modern masterpiece?

• Astonished 1