Eric Prime

WrathofHan and CoolEric's Controversial* Predictions of 2019 (*Controversial results may vary)

October 5

Gemini Man: This really needs to move to November or December and away from this crowded month. Ang Lee’s a hit-and-miss director at the box office. Will Smith’s also been a hit-and-miss actor at the box office rather recently. Put them together, and you have...a movie that could maybe do alright? Reportedly, the effects are supposed to be really impressive, and it has a very interesting concept, even if it lowkey rips off Looper. If the film manages to get any Oscar buzz, this will only further help this film’s chances. However, the big drawback, again, is the release date. With Joker attracting its male demographic, and Woman in the Window attracting its "prestige" demographic, Paramount really needs to push this somewhere else if they want this to cross 100M and break even on what seems to be a big-budget feature. 20/75 (3.75x)

Joker: The Joker’s probably the most famous comic book villain of all time, the Scorsese-esque crime drama storyline is unique for the superhero genre, Joaquin Phoenix is ultra-talented, and it will be the first comic book movie since Far From Home. This definitely has a lot going for it, and I feel WB’s marketing campaign will really deliver in making this exciting to fanboys and even adults looking for a compelling crime drama. The October OW record will be broken once again. But we might have to wait until Venom 2 for the 100M OW ceiling to be broken. 90/270 (3x)

The Woman in the Window: Amy Adams will finally get an Oscar win? (This will age well if Adams does end up winning this year for Vice) The premise is engaging, Joe Wright’s a reliable filmmaker, and the cast is excellent. But with Gemini Man, Joker, Goldfinch, and Neighborhood also targeting adult audiences, this film will have to really stand out, in both marketing and acclaim. I’m gonna be bold and say this will stand out and become a major awards contender. It seems silly to predict this bold off of something that might not happen, but this is a controversial prediction thread, no? 30/105 (3.5x)

• Like 4

October 11

The Addams Family: From the directors of Sausage Party and the animation studio behind Gnome Alone and The Star, this is a pretty big wildcard. Could be a hit, could come and go. I’m leaning somewhere in the middle. Abominable will still be in theaters at this point, but the brand has a decent enough pull, the cast is cool, and the art direction has a nice Burton-esque quirk to it, even if it may not be super commercial. A decent, Goosebumps-esque run. 23/70 (3.04x)

Are You Afraid of the Dark?: It’s kind of cool to see this old Nickelodeon show back as a movie. Also cool to have Gary Dauberman in charge of the screenplay. Less cool is having D. J. Caruso as the director. Still, unless the Blumhouse and Aviron horror movies come through, this is currently one of only three spooky movies coming out this October (coincidentally, they’re all coming out on the same day), and this is the one with the broadest appeal. I don’t know if this is gearing more towards families or not (the director and writer’s work says otherwise. Then again, this is from Nickelodeon Movies. But then again Nickelodeon Movies have done PG-13 movies before...), but judging by the creative team, this seems like it’ll be a straightforward horror movie that has broad appeal. Addams Family will skew more to kids, while Zombieland is super niche. This will likely have more appeal than something like Dora, so I guess it will do slightly better than that. But Nickelodeon, just give me my Drake & Josh movie already. That’s where the real money is. 20/50 (2.5x)

The Goldfinch: Ansolo strikes again, with a WB-Amazon co-production based on a best-selling novel. The cast is solid, John Crowley’s a good director, and the book seems pretty popular. This could be a solid counterprogrammer in October, especially if the film delivers and gets awards attention. Also seems like it could be super leggy. 15/75 (5x)

Zombieland 2: This seems about 8 years too late. The first Zombieland was well-liked, but wasn’t that big of a hit in the first place. But unlike other cult hits like Austin Powers and Anchorman, this has not had any relevance in pop culture whatsoever and hasn’t had a second wind in home video or cable airings (at least, to my knowledge). But I guess there’s enough of a following that this could open around Super Troopers 2, and garner better legs. I dunno. Just seems like a waste of everyone’s time. 13/40 (3.08x)

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

October 18

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: Tom Hanks is Mr. Rogers. That’s the best hook you could ever want for a movie. Hanks and Rogers are both America’s Sweethearts, so having the two together should see great success and be catnip for seniors. The success of Won’t You Be My Neighbor last summer shows that people love Fred Rogers, while Marielle Heller’s made some great movies in the past. I feel like the movie could move to November or December to great success, but I think it’s fine where it is. Gemini Man needs it way more. Regardless, I’m seeing a huge breakout here. 35/150 (4.28x)

The other October releases are untitled, so...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

@WrathOfHan I see you with that WTF reaction. Please don't tell me you're predicting 200M for Zombieland or some shit.

No :lol: I think the only way it goes that low though is if the film sucks. Considering that Stone and Harrelson are in demand these day, I doubt it will be horrible.

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

October 11

The Goldfinch: Ansolo strikes again, with a WB-Amazon co-production based on a best-selling novel. The cast is solid, John Crowley’s a good director, and the book seems pretty popular. This could be a solid counterprogrammer in October, especially if the film delivers and gets awards attention. Also seems like it could be super leggy. 15/75 (5x)

you are way underestimating this. It's making over 100M with ease. Ansel is a superstar. The book is highly regarded. etc

• Haha 1

Just now, Alli said:

ok superstar in the making.  he's on his way to superstar status. why are you denying it?

I look at his filmmography and wonder where is the superstar in making is. Even Spielberg’s West Side Story is unlikely to do much for him (since he’s playing the most boring role in the whole production).

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I look at his filmmography and wonder where is the superstar in making is. Even Spielberg’s West Side Story is unlikely to do much for him (since he’s playing the most boring role in the whole production).

The Fault and Baby driver were big hits for him considering his age. Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise can't take a movie to Over 100M these days.  Ansel did it. And working with Spielberg next. He's got the looks , the box office and the movies were a hit with  critics too.

Edited by Alli

15 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

You want a real controversial take?

Pika over Avengers and Lion King

That’s not controversial. It’s common knowledge.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1