AdamKendall

Weekend Thread 12/28-12/30 AQM 51.5 MPR 28 BB 20.5 ITSV 18.3

I'm not gonna accuse anyone of anything, but it's kind of funny how Holmes & Watson, a box office bomb with the worst reviews of the year already has 8 ratings in the Review section of this forum and 7 comments while no one, not one single member, watched Second Act, a box office hit, with decent reviews, that stars a latin woman. You all criticize the lack of representation, lack of diversity in genres, lack of originality, yet never practice what you preach. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm not gonna accuse anyone of anything, but it's kind of funny how Holmes & Watson, a box office bomb with the worst reviews of the year already has 8 ratings in the Review section of this forum and 7 comments while no one, not one single member, watched Second Act, a box office hit, with decent reviews, that stars a latin woman. You all criticize the lack of representation, lack of diversity in genres, lack of originality, yet never practice what you preach. 

In fairness, it's the genre. People are probably thrilled about the representation in a movie like SECOND ACT. Not all of them will be actually interested in seeing it though.

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Please stop being so sanctimonious. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

In fairness, it's the genre. People are probably thrilled about the representation in a movie like SECOND ACT. Not all of them will be actually interested in seeing it though.

If the movie looks generic or ass, people are less likely to see it.

1 minute ago, Jay Beezy said:

If the movie looks generic or ass, people are less likely to see it.

Yes, that too. Although I can't comment myself on how SECOND ACT looks. I watched the first trailer and haven't watched anything else. Haven't read the reviews or anything. A movie like that is almost a non-entity to me. No interest.

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Yes, that too. Although I can't comment myself on how SECOND ACT looks. I watched the first trailer and haven't watched anything else. Haven't read the reviews or anything. A movie like that is almost a non-entity to me. No interest.

I haven't seen the trailer for it so I guess I'll assume based on reviews that it's standard and not particularly unique from a story perspective.

1 minute ago, Jay Beezy said:

I haven't seen the trailer for it so I guess I'll assume based on reviews that it's standard and not particularly unique from a story perspective.

Yes, and your point applies in general. If a movie looks bad or uninteresting, it doesn't matter how much diversity or representation is in it, people won't bother seeing it.

11 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yes, and your point applies in general. If a movie looks bad or uninteresting, it doesn't matter how much diversity or representation is in it, people won't bother seeing it.

There was also Girl's Trip, which had a mostly black cast, but mainly it was a hilarious movie. The director and his breakout star followed that up with Night School and we see how that turned out.

People also want diversity in certain roles that have in the past have tended to be played by white males. Which is fair, but they set certain expectations for themselves for the movie and blame the movie for not living up to them. Like last year, there was a movie that featured a female villain of color and certain people were excited to see a female villain of color. They were disappointed that she didn't have as much screentime as they wanted her to, but they failed to consider the movie in question was not a comic book movie and had no rational reason to expect much screentime from her.

Edited by Jay Beezy

13 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I thought Warner was supposed to reboot the DCEU with some Flashpoint nonsense, after Aquaman flopped.

The benefits of Flashpoint, which actually ended up being a big issue in the comics, is that you can pick and choose what you want to be canon and what you don't.

55 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I have to agree with the most reactions here, I am all for diverse, female (being female and having fought for jobs in 'male' professions, doing voluntary work since 40+y incl helping females, part time bouncer in a rough ... music bar (music, a lot of dancing, alcohol, a bit of snacks = term ?) as an additional job too many years back...) but if a story does not interest me I will not watch it.

In this case, even if I would win in a lottery thing the new record, I'd never buy in Madison Avenue kind of stores.

Or buy expensive designer clothes, sports cars,....

I grew up partially with such kind of people, I never clicked with them nor why they bought what.

I might spend tons of money for learning new crafts, skills (and probably some lusted for tools, not one in the 4-digit $xxxx class), go on language learning vacations,....

I think that is one of the problems of the smaller and/or indie movies, too many are about people who's goals/POV/... I am not connecting to.

Same counts for big-budget, but there seems to be a higher possibility of getting entertained / amused /....

• ...wtf 1

Bois, if you want to actually watch a good movie with some proper Latinx representation watch Roma instead of Second Act. I mean it's basically a foreign language film produced and distributed by American companies. Do JLo films even count as representation? She has been a huge celebrity for over a decade and all her recent films are probably some of the most whitest shit I have ever seen.