spatulashack

Tuesday #s (Aquaman, Poppins, Bumble)

4 minutes ago, spatulashack said:

I think it's interesting that Poppins daily numbers so far are playing more like a leggy adult drama than a standard family Disney live-action . It makes sense though given it's a musical, has some awards buzz, and has 50 years of heavy nostalgia touching pretty much everyone over the age of 30. The fact that families can bring their kids is icing on the cake but the driving force for going to see it are the adults. It's why silly folks like Scott Mendelson immediately started writing off the film as a disappointment after the Wed-Friday opening and then changed their tune shortly afterwards. He was incorrectly expecting a blockbuster kids movie. 

Marry Poppin received lesser bump on Christmas Day, like spider-verse, Grinch, ralph 2, these movies can't be adult drama? Confidentially, marry poppin's drop on Christmas' eve, an bump of boxing day are very much align with those movies.

I don't think poppin are skewing adult, in holiday season, kid-movie are more stable in percentage changes than adult film  

And if poppin is an adult-friendly, shouldn't it follow the mule to enjoy 100% bump?

TD YD Title (Click to View) Studio Daily Gross % +/- YD / LW Theaters / Avg Gross To-Date Day
1 1 Aquaman WB $22,065,000 +102% - 4,125 $5,349 $105,715,000 5
2 2 Mary Poppins Returns BV $11,457,469 +86% - 4,090 $2,801 $49,946,455 7
3 3 Bumblebee Par. $8,887,978 +139% - 3,550 $2,504 $34,253,863 5
4 - Holmes and Watson Sony $6,434,922 - - 2,719 $2,367 $6,434,922 1
5 4 Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse Sony $5,630,385 +68% +31% 3,813 $1,477 $73,543,868 12
6 6 The Mule WB $4,900,000 +120% +75% 2,685 $1,825 $42,328,465 12
7 - Vice Annapurna $4,784,212 - - 2,378 $2,012 $4,784,212 1
8 8 Second Act STX $3,069,572 +207% - 2,607 $1,177 $10,561,186 5
9 5 Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (2018) Uni. $2,083,630 -10% +17% 2,666 $782 $257,900,050 47
10 7 Ralph Breaks the Internet BV $1,681,922 +41% +50% 2,297 $732 $165,069,992 35
11 9 Welcome to Marwen Uni. $1,313,170 +171% - 1,911 $687 $4,151,395 5
  • Like 1

These were the longest running movies at my 12 screen AMC last year:

12 weeks:

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (14 weeks total with 2017)

9:

Avengers: Infinity War

Black Panther (includes a one week re-expansion in IW's second weekend)

8:

Deadpool 2 (not including Once Upon a Deadpool)

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (leaving this weekend)

Incredibles 2 (includes the one week Labor Day re-expansion)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (includes the one week Labor Day re-expansion)

The Meg

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Peter Rabbit

Ralph Breaks the Internet (and counting; it's staying this weekend)

7:

Christopher Robin

The Greatest Showman (9 weeks total with 2017)

Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation

A Quiet Place

Venom

6:

The Equalizer 2

Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (includes a one week re-expansion post-Thanksgiving)

I Can Only Imagine

Night School

Ocean's 8

Rampage

Ready Player One

Solo: A Star Wars Story

A Star Is Born (includes a one week re-expansion in December)

5:

Bohemian Rhapsody (re-expansion starts this weekend)

Book Club

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

The Hate U Give

The House with a Clock in Its Walls

Instant Family

Life of the Party

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

The Nun

Peppermint

The Post

A Simple Favor

Smallfoot

Truth or Dare

Widows

A Wrinkle in Time (includes Disney's one week fudge attempt in May)

Crazy Rich Asians and Ant-Man are two movies I'm surprised got dumped after four weeks, especially because the former was still legging it out. THUG's 5 week run still baffles me too with how old and conservative my area is. Additionally, the older-skewing movies my area's main demo eats up tend to go away pretty fast compared to their sales; ASIB, Book Club, Mamma Mia!, and The Post all left after five weeks (not counting the re-expansion on the first). IDK if it's because they burn off demand quickly given this is a small area, but it's a trend I noticed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

These were the longest running movies at my 12 screen AMC last year:

12 weeks:

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (14 weeks total with 2017)

9:

Avengers: Infinity War

Black Panther (includes a one week re-expansion in IW's second weekend)

8:

Deadpool 2 (not including Once Upon a Deadpool)

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (leaving this weekend)

Incredibles 2 (includes the one week Labor Day re-expansion)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (includes the one week Labor Day re-expansion)

The Meg

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Peter Rabbit

Ralph Breaks the Internet (and counting; it's staying this weekend)

7:

Christopher Robin

The Greatest Showman (9 weeks total with 2017)

Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation

A Quiet Place

Venom

6:

The Equalizer 2

Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (includes a one week re-expansion post-Thanksgiving)

I Can Only Imagine

Night School

Ocean's 8

Rampage

Ready Player One

Solo: A Star Wars Story

A Star Is Born (includes a one week re-expansion in December)

5:

Bohemian Rhapsody (re-expansion starts this weekend)

Book Club

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

The Hate U Give

The House with a Clock in Its Walls

Instant Family

Life of the Party

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

The Nun

Peppermint

The Post

A Simple Favor

Smallfoot

Truth or Dare

Widows

A Wrinkle in Time (includes Disney's one week fudge attempt in May)

Crazy Rich Asians and Ant-Man are two movies I'm surprised got dumped after four weeks, especially because the former was still legging it out. THUG's 5 week run still baffles me too with how old and conservative my area is. Additionally, the older-skewing movies my area's main demo eats up tend to go away pretty fast compared to their sales; ASIB, Book Club, Mamma Mia!, and The Post all left after five weeks (not counting the re-expansion on the first). IDK if it's because they burn off demand quickly given this is a small area, but it's a trend I noticed.

that's short af for every movie but Jumanji.

Nad Avengers and BP are somewhat okay.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Amazing 1Jan for Aquaman! 400M is possibile 

A multiplier of 6 for Aquabro would be amazing, and it would mean that, once again, DC needs to let Batman and Superman take a break for a while, and focus on their newly minted superhero stars like Wondy and Arthur. Now I think is a great time to actually go put Cyborg back on track. I firmly believe that a Cyborg movie could be a big hit (a Flash film also, of course). 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

A multiplier of 6 for Aquabro would be amazing, and it would mean that, once again, DC needs to let Batman and Superman take a break for a while, and focus on their newly minted superhero stars like Wondy and Arthur. Now I think is a great time to actually go put Cyborg back on track. I firmly believe that a Cyborg movie could be a big hit (a Flash film also, of course). 

Need to fix the CGI, cyborg’s CGI in Justice League was just.... I cannot describe it

Shazam will be a big test for DC - relatively unknown to non comic book fans and the character has not been introduced in any prior DCEU movies

Edited by TigerPaw

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

It would be amazing; also, it won't happen. Some people just like to write random numbers for whatever reasons.

At this point, I will not dismiss anything about what Aquaman can do. Nobody thought it would do well, let alone very well, and that is exactly what it's doing. 

Aquaman is now WBs biggest domestic and global movie of the year. Every year they have had a DC movie since 2008 it has won WBs domestic (apart from Green Lantern) and Global (apart from Green Lantern and Man of Steel which was pipped by Gravity WW). TDK, TDKR, MoS domestic, BvS, Wonder Woman and now Aquaman. 

• Like 8

Just now, TigerPaw said:

Need to fix the CGI, cyborg’s CGI in Justice League was just.... I can not describe it

Shazam will be a big test for DC - relatively unknown to non comic book fans and the character has not been introduced in any prior DCEU movies

Again, in my opinion, superhero films (just like most action spectacles) that people remember the most are those in which audiences care about the characters and care about the emotions at play (not the ones that have the most amazing special effects). If they can create a compelling emotional arc for Cyborg (and I can think of several ways they could; his origin lends itself to powerful emotional beats) that captures audiences heart, it will be a hit. And yes, I think that Black Panther and Spiderverse having successful runs with black leads can only help Cyborg... A better design of the armor and better FX is all good, but it's the character that will make people come back for seconds.

13 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

that's short af for every movie but Jumanji.

Nad Avengers and BP are somewhat okay.

Welcome to the perils of living in a small town with a midsize theater :lol: I don't have the full year stats for the 20plex I track in Tally (didn't know I'd be moving there until later in the year), but I have enough info where I can form a decent thingy for the second half of the year. Might do that now since I'm killing time before my haircuit :thinking: 

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Aquaman is now WBs biggest domestic and global movie of the year. Every year they have had a DC movie since 2008 it has won WBs domestic (apart from Green Lantern) and Global (apart from Green Lantern and Man of Steel which was pipped by Gravity WW). TDK, TDKR, MoS domestic, BvS, Wonder Woman and now Aquaman. 

Yeah, this has been pointed out before - think it was Scotty at Forbes? Whomever thinks WB would give up on DC properties is on crack. Even their bad movies end up incredibly successful for them. Do some of them leave money on the table? Yeah, undoubtedly. But it's still their crown jewel, especially with Wizarding World wobbling...

• Like 2