Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

47 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

This. I mean, ok, good for every corner getting their voice heard and all that, but the way some of these reactions (and reviews) are worded makes me fuckin hate the internet.

A lot of them definitely confuse their excitment to be there/be the first to see it with the movie being good.

I'm sure in this case the movie actually is good, but it's definitely annoying when it happens for almost every blockbuster.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

A lot of them definitely confuse their excitment to be there/be the first to see it with the movie being good.

I'm sure in this case the movie actually is good, but it's definitely annoying when it happens for almost every blockbuster.

To be honest, even if they write a negative reaction/review, most of the time it still reads shallow, lacking insight. My saying this is in no way a reflection on the reaction to this movie or whether it will be good or not. It's just the overall state of film "criticism".

There's a lot to be said about people that actually understand art as a whole and cinema. I mean, it doesn't mean those critics are infallible and at the end of the day you can agree or disagree with anyone, but a review just hits differently when it comes from a guy with a PhD in English and has bene doing the job for 30 years, compared to someone that makes reaction videos on Youtube.

As I said, having various groups put forth their opinion is fine, but for me it just waters down the power of a critical consensus. Maybe I'm just pretentious when it comes to reviews, I won't deny that. 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

To be honest, even if they write a negative reaction/review, most of the time it still reads shallow, lacking insight. My saying this is in no way a reflection on the reaction to this movie or whether it will be good or not. It's just the overall state of film "criticism".

There's a lot to be said about people that actually understand art as a whole and cinema. I mean, it doesn't mean those critics are infallible and at the end of the day you can agree or disagree with anyone, but a review just hits differently when it comes from a guy with a PhD in English and has bene doing the job for 30 years, compared to someone that makes reaction videos on Youtube.

As I said, having various groups put forth their opinion is fine, but for me it just waters down the power of a critical consensus. Maybe I'm just pretentious when it comes to reviews, I won't deny that. 🤷‍♂️

the majority of the hyperbole comes from YouTubers and bloggers. Not movie critics. They might write for a website, but most of those are certainly of the ‘fan generation’. 

we’re obviously all critics to a degree, but the difference between a qualified arts writer on film and a YouTuber is literally a chasm. That they all get rolled into one for an average score is kind of hilarious. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

the majority of the hyperbole comes from YouTubers and bloggers. Not movie critics. They might write for a website, but most of those are certainly of the ‘fan generation’. 

we’re obviously all critics to a degree, but the difference between a qualified arts writer on film and a YouTuber is literally a chasm. That they all get rolled into one for an average score is kind of hilarious. 

Indeed. That's exactly my complaint with modern criticism - it isn't qualified in any way for such a large portion of websites. I appreciate the "top critics" breakdown for RT, but it's obviously an overlooked aspect a lot of times. Anyway... enough ranting about critics.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Indeed. That's exactly my complaint with modern criticism - it isn't qualified in any way for such a large portion of websites. I appreciate the "top critics" breakdown for RT, but it's obviously an overlooked aspect a lot of times. Anyway... enough ranting about critics.

There was a big influx of fan critics starting sometime during the Potter run and into superhero movie boom. Some of them matured into proper critics. Many still just come across as blog level fan sites commenting on movies. Critic is a critic though. They're all entitled to their opinions. Personally I prefer, whether I agree or disagree, when a critic has a pretty deep knowledge of the medium and it's history (past, present, in between).

• Thanks 1

I think both types of critics are important for movie criticism. Top Critics or the non-fan critics will give you a more in depth analysis of a movie, offering more critiques than your average fan critic will most likely, where fan critics typically will give the GA's perspective of a film. Metacritic is probably a better site to see the average score of a film critic. The RT system is flawed because most people just see the percent score and not the average score.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

I'm not following tracking of this at all, but I do research surveys and got one that asked if I was going to see this, and to help them out and tweet about the trailer.

I suppose it isn't unheard of, but I expected it through other mediums, not a platform giving me 0.54 cents to advertise for them.

18 hours ago, karlleng said:

Is this kinda "fuck you" to Paramount?

Does'nt Paramount out and out own the MI franchise?

I checked, and Paramount does own the MI franchsie outright. 

So,no, it's not a FU to Paramount, since no way McQuarris could make a MI film without Paramount.

If anything, Paramount could say Fuck You to McQuarrie, and  bring in a new director.

Edited by dudalb

20 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

People are reporting that this movie is more plot heavy and light in action compared to MI6...... this could affect its chances of being big enough a crowd pleaser to get to 1 billion. 

Mission Impossble Rogue Nation was Plot heavy, and it was a huge hit.

Frankly, tone of the things I liked about Rogue Nation was that for the climax, it did not have a big action scene but the villians being falling into a carefully laid trap,,,which was what the original TV show was all about. I think this was McQuarrie's homage to the TV show.

Something to consider  Was just looking on the numbers website and the previews to opening weekend number for RN and fallout. RN did 4.0 in previews and 55.5 for the weekend for a IM of 13 and fallout did 6 in previews and 61 weekend for a IM of 10.These movies are not frontloaded.  Of course the EA and Wed opening for DR change things so will see on that.

20 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Something to consider  Was just looking on the numbers website and the previews to opening weekend number for RN and fallout. RN did 4.0 in previews and 55.5 for the weekend for a IM of 13 and fallout did 6 in previews and 61 weekend for a IM of 10.These movies are not frontloaded.  Of course the EA and Wed opening for DR change things so will see on that.

this franchise always tracks low too before release , Rogue Nation had estimates in the mid 40s, but thanks to great reviews it outperformed expectations

On 6/19/2023 at 8:18 PM, emoviefan said:

There's been like only one negative reaction so far.   I would be shocked if this went under 90%

Yeah ik, but just from the general vibe of some of these reactions I expect some lukewarm reviews here and there. 

So I'm sticking with 85%-90%

Would love to be wrong, all the reactions sound great to me, I'm sure I'll love it. All of the last 3 have been 9/10s for me

4 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Yeah ik, but just from the general vibe of some of these reactions I expect some lukewarm reviews here and there. 

So I'm sticking with 85%-90%

Would love to be wrong, all the reactions sound great to me, I'm sure I'll love it. All of the last 3 have been 9/10s for me

Yeah you never know what actual movie critics will say since the reactions were mostly the usual suspects of bloggers and online guys but remember even if some critics are lukewarm or have some problems the overall review would still count as positive most likely. 

7 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah you never know what actual movie critics will say since the reactions were mostly the usual suspects of bloggers and online guys but remember even if some critics are lukewarm or have some problems the overall review would still count as positive most likely. 

Could you share the names of top and genuine contemporary movie critics ?

On 6/20/2023 at 5:25 AM, reddevil19 said:

This. I mean, ok, good for every corner getting their voice heard and all that, but the way some of these reactions (and reviews) are worded makes me fuckin hate the internet.

Overreact much?

4 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Overreact much?

No. Because it's emblematic of what the internet has done in every single field - for all the upside it presents with the wealth of human knowledge now easily accessible, in recent years the downsides have outweighed the benefits. That's because it has shoved a bullhorn into the hands of every functional illiterate out there to espouse their stupidity and also given them a forum populated by like-minded individuals to reinforce their beliefs. Experts have had their voices drowned in a sea of morons that aren't simply unqualified, but quite often incapable of forming coherent arguments. And they then hide behind the "it's just my opinion and it's just as valid as everyone else's" bullshit. No, not everyone's opinion is equal.

• Like 2