filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That was a John Bailey decision. Dude's been responsible for all the bad press they've had this year between that, Kevin Hart (and ultimately having no host at all), SAG accusing them of approaching them with "threats" that if you present at other awards shows you can't present at the Oscars, last year's acting winners being deemed "no famous enough" to crown the next group of winners, and the whole "categories in commercial breaks" mess. They need to do a total revamp of who is in charge of the whole thing.

I stand by my argument that BP probably wouldn’t have made the shortlist if the Academy wasn’t starving for ratings. It just seems too convenient. I know that they have voters who decide on these things, but there’s no reason to assume that at least some of those voters didn’t have ratings in mind. 

• Disbelief 1

23 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Considering that they were trying to introduce a “Most Popular Film” category, it’s difficult to imagine that the movie would’ve been nominated for Best Picture otherwise. Who’s to say that the thousands of Academy voters didn’t vote for the movie at least partially to ensure bigger ratings? 

Because the academy voters don’t gaf about ratings, it’s the studio heads/producers running the show that do.  If you’re an academy voter, you really have nothing to gain from voting for a movie that you think will boost Oscar ratings, because Oscar ratings don’t bring you any personal benefit.

It’s also the studio heads/producers who tried the “Popular feature” and “Cut cinematography from the show!” rating stunts that then got heavy backlash from their members/voters.

BP was highly critically acclaimed and got in because the people voting for it thought it had merit.  If your hypothesis was correct, you’d have seen stuff like TFA also get BP noms because Oscar ratings weren’t so hot then too.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I stand by my argument that BP probably wouldn’t have made the shortlist if the Academy wasn’t starving for ratings. It just seems too convenient. I know that they have voters who decide on these things, but there’s no reason to assume that at least some of those voters didn’t have ratings in mind. 

Dude, Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice all made it into the BP lineup this year. I severely doubt the voters of the Academy give that much of a shit about looking appealing to the younguns.

(Also, this entire thing is a really dumb conspiracy theory, fyi.)

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 2

Vice will definitely become the most perplexing of these nominees down the line. It got barely positive-to-mixed reviews (and those who hate it really hate it - one of those anonymous voters the other day said they stopped watching it halfway through), and its box office was really mediocre. And yet it maxed out its Oscar nom potential. At least BoRap was a big hit and everyone loves that music. Definitely feels like it's gonna go down as a poster child for "fake it until you make it" Best Picture nominees alongside Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close and The Reader, even if it's a better movie than either of those.

Edited by filmlover

If The Incredibles 2 manages to beat Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, it will intensify my desire to boycott Captain Marvel. We all know Spider-Verse wins if members vote objectively. If Disney wants to hog all the prestige for itself, then I shall not stand for such tyranny.

• Knock It Off 2

Anyway, I probably won't watch the Oscars tonight (I'm hanging out with some friends who aren't movie nerds), but I really hope Alfonso Cuaron doesn't win anything tonight.

This was a short film he made with Autism Speaks. The organization is notorious for dehumanizing autistic people and viewing the disability as if it's a disease, while this video promotes autism as this evil being that destroys families and steals your loved ones from you (even worse is that Cuaron's son is autistic. Sad to see his father thinks his disability is evil).

Y'all can be happy for a movie you like getting a trophy, but I ain't gonna be happy about seeing a man who thinks I destroy marriages for existing get rewarded.

inb4 JB or whoever comes in with a whole "WHY IS EVERYBODY ACTING SO PC"

• Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 4

30 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Because the academy voters don’t gaf about ratings, it’s the studio heads/producers running the show that do.  If you’re an academy voter, you really have nothing to gain from voting for a movie that you think will boost Oscar ratings, because Oscar ratings don’t bring you any personal benefit.

It’s also the studio heads/producers who tried the “Popular feature” and “Cut cinematography from the show!” rating stunts that then got heavy backlash from their members/voters.

BP was highly critically acclaimed and got in because the people voting for it thought it had merit.  If your hypothesis was correct, you’d have seen stuff like TFA also get BP noms because Oscar ratings weren’t so hot then too.

TDK couldn’t even get a Best Picture nod. There’s really nothing special about BP that makes it anymore qualified than other superhero movies, unless you like dated effects and cringey references to dead Internet memes. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Just now, WittyUsername said:

TDK couldn’t even get a Best Picture nod. There’s really nothing special about BP that makes it anymore qualified than other superhero movies. 

How about we show some perspective and remember that was a year before the category expanded. Had the expansion occurred earlier, The Dark Knight would've definitely made the cut (especially when it had the Supporting Actor frontrunner and had more than a half dozen tech noms).

13 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Anyway, I probably won't watch the Oscars tonight (I'm hanging out with some friends who aren't movie nerds), but I really hope Alfonso Cuaron doesn't win anything tonight.

This was a short film he made with Autism Speaks. The organization is notorious for dehumanizing autistic people and viewing the disability as if it's a disease, while this video promotes autism as this evil being that destroys families and steals your loved ones from you (even worse is that Cuaron's son is autistic. Sad to see his father thinks his disability is evil).

Y'all can be happy for a movie you like getting a trophy, but I ain't gonna be happy about seeing a man who thinks I destroy marriages for existing get rewarded.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

How about we show some perspective and remember that was a year before the category expanded. Had the expansion occurred earlier, The Dark Knight would've definitely made the cut (especially when it had the Supporting Actor frontrunner and had more than a half dozen tech noms).

I just can’t imagine any other year in recent memory where a fairly standard superhero movie and a standard biopic (BR) would get Best Picture nods. 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I just can’t imagine any other year in recent memory where a fairly standard superhero movie and a standard biopic (BR) would get Best Picture nods. 

A Dick Cheney biopic that got meh-ish reviews and did weak at the box office is also a major player. It's just an odd year (and this is easily the weakest line-up in seven years). At least it'll all be over and done with in a couple of hours.

The Dark Knight was really the first superhero movie to generate significant Best Picture buzz and was the unspoken reason the Academy expanded the Best Picture field. Using its snub from a vastly different Best Picture landscape a full decade ago to prop up the idea that Black Panther somehow got a tainted nomination from the powers-that-be is misguided.

The backlash against the Black Panther nomination perplexes me. As pointed out in this week's honest trailer for the Oscars, there are complaints every single year about how the Academy doesn't nominate superhero films for Best Picture, and even now that they finally have nominated one, we're still getting complaints.

Then again, this seems to be the year where every single film generates outrage for reasons running the gamut from valid to petty, so I guess it fits.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

That's because there hasn't been a superhero movie to get the box office or reviews black panther did. It was Phenomenon I took the World by storm. You need to take your personal feelings out and just a face the fact that the film was very popular and loved.

Edited by Curtis1986

17 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

TDK couldn’t even get a Best Picture nod. There’s really nothing special about BP that makes it anymore qualified than other superhero movies, unless you like dated effects and cringey references to dead Internet memes. 

Your personal opinion of BP doesn’t change the fact that academy voters voted for it because they thought it had merit, not a profit motive.

Im no fan of Green Book or BoHo but I’m not going to pretend those movies got nominated for any other reason than the fact the academy voters liked them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

FYI, Cuaron isn’t nominated for some random short film made 11 years ago, he’s nominated for Roma.

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

FYI, Cuaron isn’t nominated for some random short film made 11 years ago, he’s nominated for Roma.

Well aware of that. Still not comfortable with an ableist winning, especially when he has yet to own up to his actions or apologize for it.