filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

9 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

john ottman has a weird career. mostly a composer his only credits as an editor are for bryan singer movies (will he ever edit another movie?). of course also the director of Urban Legends: Final Cut. at least his x-men scores are good i guess.

14 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Hollywood is a bunch of people being yes men otherwise they won't get jobs. He absolutely must be talking to members of The Academy who don't want to be embarrassed. After all,

It's all about ~relationships and hiding each other's skeletons

On 1/22/2019 at 9:22 PM, Slambros said:

I've had a thought about Animated Feature.

You guys probably remember the Oscars for the 2013 films, when it was reported that people were voting for Frozen because that was the film that their children liked. So that might mean the film voters' children like the most has an excellent shot at influencing the winner of this category.

So which animated film would the children prefer? That's what it comes down to for this portion of the voting body.

Now, let's talk about recency bias. The kids might be aware of other films like Incredibles 2 and Wreck-It Ralph 2. But they're not going to be aware of a concept known as recency bias. Therefore, they are more susceptible to that specific kind of bias.

And what was the most recent animated film?

Spider-Verse: Into The Spider-Verse.

Not only that, but with its status as a superhero film, as well as one of the most colorful, funniest, and visually pleasing films of the year, I have a hard time believing that the majority of Oscar voters' children would be telling their parents to vote for any film other than Spider-Verse.

So besides the people that actually care about Animation--there's probably more of those people in the Academy than we're giving them credit for if they manage to nominate foreign/indie features even after the voting change--I think we have another set of voters that have a high likelihood of voting for Spider-Verse.

But of course, don't take that as a signal to stop making your voice be heard if you want Spider-Verse be the winner. By all means, be a part of the loud message that tells the Academy who the people want to see win Animated Feature. Black Panther's Best Picture nomination is proof that the Academy is willing to listen to, and take into account, the pleas of the people. And remain optimistic! There's no reason to believe Spider-Verse doesn't have a chance!

This made me think back to past winners....Coco, doesn't quite fit bc Ferdinand came out in December and was also nominated. 

Zootopia really doesn't fit that way but bc it was on home video and probably watched ad nauseam with its "baby's first introduction to social inequality" that even the limited Academy could understand...yeah.

• Like 1

From a business/industry point of view a Black Panther win would be best, while Roma winning Best Picture would be pretty awful. But betting sites predict Roma as the overwhelming favorite so what do I know.

Other betting predictions: Cuaron, Malek, Close.

Personally I'm rooting for The Favourite and Vice to sweep everything (but Malek would be fine).

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

From a business/industry point of view a Black Panther win would be best, while Roma winning Best Picture would be pretty awful. But betting sites predict Roma as the overwhelming favorite so what do I know.

Personally I'm rooting for The Favourite and Vice to sweep everything (but Malek would be fine).

It's between Roma and Green Book at this point with everything else being a distant #3-8 at best, and honestly I'm feeling that it's gonna end up being Green Book. The recent comments from people like Spielberg indicate that there might still be a level of "Netflix Resistance" within the Academy, and the people who love Green Book really love it (and tbh it feels like backlash has only made it stronger among its fans).

Either way, I'm happy this whole season is finally ending tonight.

42 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Black Panther is mostly there as a ratings stunt anyway. All I know is that if they give Best Picture to Bohemian Rhapsody, they’re going to have a lot of controversy on their hands, regardless of the fact that Oscar wouldn’t go to Bryan Singer. 

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Black Panther is mostly there as a ratings stunt anyway. All I know is that if they give Best Picture to Bohemian Rhapsody, they’re going to have a lot of controversy on their hands, regardless of the fact that Oscar wouldn’t go to Bryan Singer. 

Considering all the bad press the Oscars has received this year, Bohemian Rhapsody winning would the perfect conclusion to the whole dumpster fire.

39 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

BP isn’t a ratings stunt.  It’s impossible for a nomination to be a ratings stunt because the noms are determined by thousands of academy voters, voting independently and anonymously.

BP got nominated because people in the industry liked it, not because 10 ABC dudes in a room sat around and said “Let’s be sure to give a nomination to Panther so we can have higher ratings!”

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The recent comments from people like Spielberg indicate that there might still be a level of "Netflix Resistance" within the Academy,

This. I have been saying this for months. I suspect it will get Foreign Film, Director, and cinematography, but not Best Picture. 

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

BP isn’t a ratings stunt.  It’s impossible for a nomination to be a ratings stunt because the noms are determined by thousands of academy voters, voting independently and anonymously.

BP got nominated because people in the industry liked it, not because 10 ABC dudes in a room sat around and said “Let’s be sure to nomination Panther so we can have higher ratings!”

Considering that they were trying to introduce a “Most Popular Film” category, it’s difficult to imagine that the movie would’ve been nominated for Best Picture otherwise. Who’s to say that the thousands of Academy voters didn’t vote for the movie at least partially to ensure bigger ratings? 

Even if Black Panther clearly has no shot at winning (zero above the line support) and a ton of people pointing their fingers at ABC/Disney for some of the mess the Academy has endured this year (the 4 categories that were going to be held during commercial breaks were categories in which Disney movies weren't nominated), calling Black Panther's nomination being a publicity stunt is...a stretch.

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Considering that they were trying to introduce a “Most Popular Film” category, it’s difficult to imagine that the movie would’ve been nominated for Best Picture otherwise. Who’s to say that the thousands of Academy voters didn’t vote for the movie at least partially to ensure bigger ratings? 

That was a John Bailey decision. Dude's been responsible for all the bad press they've had this year between that, Kevin Hart (and ultimately having no host at all), SAG accusing them of approaching them with "threats" that if you present at other awards shows you can't present at the Oscars, last year's acting winners being deemed "no famous enough" to crown the next group of winners, and the whole "categories in commercial breaks" mess. They need to do a total revamp of who is in charge of the whole thing.

12 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

This. I have been saying this for months. I suspect it will get Foreign Film, Director, and cinematography, but not Best Picture. 

I think there's a small chance it loses Foreign Film if enough voters think "It will win best picture so I will vote for Cold War here".

• Thanks 1