filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Probably just enjoying time off since The Revenant was such a grueling shoot by all accounts.

I know he made that one virtual reality film that got him a Special Achievement Oscar in 2017 as well as a Nike commercial last year. So I guess he's keeping himself occupied at least.

Edited by Rorschach

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Probably just enjoying time off since The Revenant was such a grueling shoot by all accounts.

No reason to make a movie now if it's not gonna win him Best Director and not enough time has passed yet, gotta take a decade off before making a run at John Ford's record.

The Favourite actually makes a lot of sense to pull an upset in BP when you consider this is going to be a what got the most #2 votes winner this year. No way anything is nabbing 50% 1st place votes, and I can see The Favourite being a whole ton of the Academy's #2. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

The Favourite actually makes a lot of sense to pull an upset in BP when you consider this is going to be a what got the most #2 votes winner this year. No way anything is nabbing 50% 1st place votes, and I can see The Favourite being a whole ton of people's #2. 

On the other hand, it's picked up nothing all season long. Not even BAFTA, and they went nuts for the movie in general (won 7 of its 12 nominations).

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

On the other hand, it's picked up nothing all season long. Not even BAFTA, and they went nuts for the movie in general (won 7 of its 12 nominations).

Right, which is why it would never win if it had to rely on being most people's first choice. But that's not how the BP category at the Oscars works. The emphasis goes on people's second choice if there's no clear cut first place choice. I can see movies like ASIB, Roma, GB, BKKK, and even BP picking up a lot of first place votes, while The Favourite isn't many of their first, but consistently top 3. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Right, which is why it would never win if it had to rely on being most people's first choice. But that's not how the BP category at the Oscars works. The emphasis goes on people's second choice if there's no clear cut first place choice. 

I'm pretty sure that's between Roma and Green Book. Do not underestimate the love for the latter among its fans.

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

The Dark Knight was really the first superhero movie to generate significant Best Picture buzz and was the unspoken reason the Academy expanded the Best Picture field. Using its snub from a vastly different Best Picture landscape a full decade ago to prop up the idea that Black Panther somehow got a tainted nomination from the powers-that-be is misguided.

The backlash against the Black Panther nomination perplexes me. As pointed out in this week's honest trailer for the Oscars, there are complaints every single year about how the Academy doesn't nominate superhero films for Best Picture, and even now that they finally have nominated one, we're still getting complaints.

Then again, this seems to be the year where every single film generates outrage for reasons running the gamut from valid to petty, so I guess it fits.

The backlash against BP getting a Best Picture nod is partly from people who don’t care much for superhero movies in general. I’m not one of those people, as I am a lifelong fan of the genre, but that’s something to keep in mind.

As for me, my problem with the movie being nominated for Best Picture is that I genuinely don’t think it was good enough to earn it. Sure, it was an enjoyable enough movie, but even as far as Marvel movies of 2018 are concerned, I preferred Infinity War. Aside from having a predominantly black cast (which, don’t get me wrong, is a big deal), there was nothing really daring or out of the ordinary about it. Sure, it discussed some serious themes and ideas, but it mostly only paid lip service to that stuff. Apart from that, it was a fairly straightforward Marvel movie with an unremarkable third act. 

I’m not trying to seem like a whiny manchild or whatever, but i don’t think the Best Picture nod should go to a movie just because it has a high Rotten Tomatoes score.

Edited by WittyUsername

Just now, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure that's between Roma and Green Book. Do not underestimate the love for the latter among its fans.

I would absolutely LOVE to see Green Book win since it and ASIB are about tied for my personal favorite. Maybe it will. I have no idea this year. But to me 4 or 5 of the noms splitting the first place vote, while The Favourite is no one's first but nearly everyone's 2 or 3 makes a lot of sense. 

Kind of hoping Black Panther takes it, would cause the most pressage between the cinephiles and the salty fanboys still bothered by it. It's not actually what I would vote for as the winner, but what I want to win hardly ever does. Still, I thought it was very good and I like it better than The Shape of Water. 

Eagerly waiting to see how late the producers have scheduled Shallow to be performed,  if they could save Best Original Song until the next to last category, they probably would. Also, what are Cooper and Gaga going to do with it. In the movie, the vibe was more "conquering your fears", when they sang together at her concert, it, ummm, leaned more into "love song" aspect of the lyrics. 

Im literally okay with Black Panther winning everything it is nominated for - even Best Picture.

However.

It MUST NOT win Best visual effects. Please. It would be such a big, unfunny joke.

Edit: Im dumb, it isnt nominated for that. You can all laugh at me now, thanks.

Edited by Brainbug