filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

54 minutes ago, Blankments said:

it shouldn't even be eligible for score lmao

not that anyone cares but my current picks in every category, followed by how many i've seen

Picture: Roma (8/8)

Director: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma (4/5)

Actor: Bradley Cooper, A Star is Born (4/5)

Actress: Yalitza Aparicio, Roma (5/5)

Supporting Actor: Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me? (5/5)

Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz, The Favourite (5/5)

Original Screenplay: Roma (4/5)

Adapted Screenplay: A Star is Born (4/5)

Animated Feature: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (4/5)

Foreign Language Film: Roma (2/5)

Documentary: Minding the Gap (3/5)

Documentary Short: haven't seen any

Live Action Short: haven't seen any

Animated Short: Bao (1/5 lol)

Original Score: Nicholas Britell, If Beale Street Could Talk (5/5)

Original Song: "Shallow," A Star is Born (4/5)

Sound Editing: First Man (5/5)

Sound Mixing: First Man (5/5)

Production Design: Black Panther (5/5)

Cinematography: Roma (3/5)

Makeup and Hairstyling: Vice (1/5 lol)

Costume Design: Black Panther (3/5)

Film Editing: BlacKkKlansman (5/5)

Visual Effects: First Man (5/5)

Mine:

Picture: The Favourite (7/8)

Director: Lanthimos (4/5)

Actor: Malek (3/5)

Actress: McCarthy (4/5)

Supporting Actor: Grant (4/5)

Supporting Actress: Stone (4/5)

Original Screenplay: The Favourite (4/5)

Adapted Screenplay: Can You Ever Forgive Me? (4/5)

Animated: Incredibles 2 (4/5)

Foreign: Shoplifters (2/5)

Editing: Vice (4/5)

Production Design: Mary Poppins Returns (5/5)

Costume Design: The Favourite (4/5)

Makeup: Vice (1/3)

Score: Mary Poppins Returns (4/5)

Song: Shallow (4/5)

Visual Effects: Avengers: Infinity War (5/5)

Sound Editing: A Quiet Place (5/5)

Sound Mixing: Roma (5/5)

35 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

...the fuck is this even supposed to mean? They openly nominated it as one of the best movies of the year but because they didn't also nominate it in this one specific side category, they therefore don't actually think its a great movie?

The mental gymnastics these BP haters are doing, man...

First of all I like Black Panther it's one of my favorite movies of 2018 so how am I a hater?  This is why I try to steer clear of you Disney stans on here.  

This is what it means:  Usually when a film that has a good chance at Best Picture the director is also nominated because the consensus is usually that the film was great in part because of the director.  This isn't always the case.  It's usually the case. Ben Affleck being snubbed a few years back was a big discussion because most people felt it was ridiculous how Argo could be Best Pic and he not nominated since it wasn't just the acting that carried the film. 

Edited by Johnny Tran

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Mine:

Picture: The Favourite (7/8)

Director: Lanthimos (4/5)

Actor: Malek (3/5)

Actress: McCarthy (4/5)

Supporting Actor: Grant (4/5)

Supporting Actress: Stone (4/5)

Original Screenplay: The Favourite (4/5)

Adapted Screenplay: Can You Ever Forgive Me? (4/5)

Animated: Incredibles 2 (4/5)

Foreign: Shoplifters (2/5)

Editing: Vice (4/5)

Production Design: Mary Poppins Returns (5/5)

Costume Design: The Favourite (4/5)

Makeup: Vice (1/3)

Score: Mary Poppins Returns (4/5)

Song: Shallow (4/5)

Visual Effects: Avengers: Infinity War (5/5)

Sound Editing: A Quiet Place (5/5)

Sound Mixing: Roma (5/5)

I still think Bale wins this one but if he doesn't then Malek doesn't deserve it over Cooper. Cooper actually sang those songs.

he's not even doing a good freddie mercury impression when he's speaking. i'm not gonna say he's lifetime movie bad if rami gave that same performance in a lifetime movie i'd be like "wow pretty good for a lifetime movie". not much praise beyond that. 

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Bradley Cooper is my fav to win and i think he's gonna get it. He's actually a good actor and it's his time.   Malek can sit this one out.

Best Actor is between Bale and Malek. Whoever wins SAG on Sunday will go on to win the Oscar.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Best Actor is between Bale and Malek. Whoever wins SAG on Sunday will go on to win the Oscar.

bale again youck. i haven't seen Vice yet. is his performance that good?

Edited by Alli

8 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

First of all I like Black Panther it's one of my favorite movies of 2018 so how am I a hater?  This is why I try to steer clear of you Disney stans on here.  

This is what it means:  Usually when a film that has a good chance at Best Picture the director is also nominated because the consensus is usually that the film was great in part because of the director.  This isn't always the case.  It's usually the case. Ben Affleck being snubbed a few years back was a big discussion because most people felt it was ridiculous how Argo could be Best Pic and he not nominated since it wasn't just the acting that carried the film. 

With the expanded lineup, there will always be some films without a director nod though? That's just how it is. That doesn't mean the Academy as a whole didn't like the film a lot. It just wouldn't have been a Top 5 movie.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

he's not even doing a good freddie mercury impression when he's speaking. i'm not gonna say he's lifetime movie bad if rami gave that same performance in a lifetime movie i'd be like "wow pretty good for a lifetime movie". not much praise beyond that. 

Agreed. The handful of interviews available on youtube show that Freddie could be quite subdued and introverted off-stage while Rami really just went full hysterical queen mode leaving almost no room for nuance.

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Rockwell didn't deserve to get in this year either but Rockwell in Vice >>>>>> Rockwell in Three Billboards. There's my hot take for the day.

Rockwell is kind of in the same position as the other Sam is for me (only I'm much more critical of Rockwell getting in): if he had more screen time, I'd be fine with the nomination, but George W. Bush is only prominent in two scenes. He's not even the second best supporting actor in the movie :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

oh well. i still hope cooper gets it

Cooper's time is coming up soon. Four nominations in a handful of years is a nice narrative, he's got a stronger "overdue" narrative going for him at this point than the likes of Ryan Gosling (with just two nominations) or Jake Gyllenhaal (who is still a lone nominee) do. 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Cooper's time is coming up soon. Four nominations in a handful of years is a nice narrative, he's got a stronger "overdue" narrative going for him at this point than the likes of Ryan Gosling (with just two nominations) or Jake Gyllenhaal (who is still a lone nominee) do. 

oh jake gylenhall must win one too. he's great. 

None for gosling tho. i don't like his acting

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

bale again youck. i haven't seen Vice yet. is his performance that good?

It is absolutely incredible in many ways and worthy of a win, but in some other ways it feel like the actor does not believe he is playing a good person (and outside the very rare exception everyone think of themselves has a virtuous person so did Cheney I would imagine), something you never felt with Ganz Hitler for example.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He is tremendous in it, even if the rest of the movie leaves a lot to be desired. His transformation alone would deserve the award.

His transformation will get Vice the makeup and hairstyling Oscar.  Favourite will probably win costumes.