filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

I've not seen Vice (and don't really have any interest in doing so tbh), but it does strike me as amusing that it somehow managed to get more Oscar noms that The Big Short did in 2015, in spite of that being the Adam McKay Oscar vehicle that people actually liked.

(Although, I suppose in 2015, nearly half the BP nominees weren't made up of movies that people disliked, so that might've played a part)

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Roma shouldnt be qualified since its a Netflix production but I know that doesnt sit well. If you don't have a reportable gross then in a sense you didnt release the film. 

THIS!!!!   How the heck is Roma eligible? where is the box office for the film?  The Academy really screwed up this Netflix thing.

Just now, That One Guy said:

I saw Roma in theaters.  They released it.  It’s eligible.  Discussion over

I know it had that quasi "play by the rules" minimum art house release. However, it still shouldnt qualify. If Netflix wants to play with the big boys, it needs to play like a big boy and not just a want to be. 

10 minutes ago, narniadis said:

With the last minute whispers of Cold War making it to Best Picture, one has to assume it was probably #9 just without enough first place support.... 

The support for Quiet Place just seemed to fizzle completely. 

I really think they should go back to a stable 10 noms but what do I know. 

First Man and Poppins also lost a lot of steam once they were released. First Man had probably the steepest fall from being a contender despite really good reviews.

• Like 1

Just now, narniadis said:

I know it had that quasi "play by the rules" minimum art house release. However, it still shouldnt qualify. If Netflix wants to play with the big boys, it needs to play like a big boy and not just a want to be. 

Not sure what this is supposed to mean.  It’s a movie, and as such, it should qualify to compete in awards season.  Why discriminate just because it’s Netflix?

Just now, Alli said:

It would be a disgrace if Roma wins Best Picture!

christ no

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

They’re clearly “playing with the big boys” right now just fine. But I’m sure they appreciate the advice.

4 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Hello to you! Glad you're doing well!

For TSNGO, it was all because of the timing of the release. You may have noticed that the film was first released as an event; it wasn't released in theaters for a full week--not in 2018. Plus, the film definitely came out too late to make it onto the 15-film short list; the film's first theatrical release was about eight days after that announcement.

But it is still significant that Warner Bros. went through with the release of the film regardless of awards, just out of the passion they have for Peter Jackson's project. That, and its place in film history, is an award in and of itself.

Thanks for that info. 

And yeah, I assumed it wouldn't get released in America, was very happily surprised when not only did it get a US release but it did really well. 

I guess it is state-funded propaganda so no reason why it needs to do well at box office or get wide recognition outside of the UK, but it's still nice to see. 

When I saw it, Peter Jackson said that he did the same for 100 hours of other footage as a favour to the Imperial War Museum.

Can't wait to see what other filmmakers take Jacksons technology and go crazy with it.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

First Man and Poppins also lost a lot of steam once they were released. First Man had probably the steepest fall from being a contender despite really good reviews.

Vice would have been in the same position had it opened in October tbh. 

Was it Roma that Netflix told theaters that they could only show it if they showed it in 35mm ?

Really, for demanding such high standards, Netflix is the big boy. The other studios should be playing on Netflix's level.

• Like 1