filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

That Best Picture nominee list makes me want to go back to a happier time this Oscar season when both Eighth Grade and First Reformed were gaining momentum.

Green Book getting in over Beale Street shows that Hollywood in general prefers movies about racism focus on biases and understanding one another vs. addressing legitimate systemic issues.

Beale street snub is the saddest moment this morning....I've been hoping Regina King and barry jenkins can lead the momentum in the oscar race.....both of them were recognized but the film left out eventually, i think too many black theme film hurt the film.....they have blackkklansman and BP in the race already 

Bradley Cooper got fucking robbed god damn. I haven't seen At Eternity's Gate but gonna have to seek it out now. Would have been nice to see JDW get that nom and launch himself into a new tier as an actor.

Roma is clearly winning, and that's fine. I frankly wish I liked Roma more than I did. It might be my least favorite from Cuaron, who is one of my favorite directors. It's a gorgeous movie that tells an important story but it never really let me in emotionally (there's times where it  just feels like a One Perfect Shot coffee table book) and it kinda felt like a rich kid telling a story about his magical maid. Didn't say quite enough about the lead character beyond "she was really great." Ditto the Favourite, another movie I liked but didn't love from a director who I have loved in the past. I thought it was the most Yorgos had ever struggled to perfectly balance his tone and style out. It's still good though. 

• Like 2

Just now, RichWS said:

Roma is apparently a false flag operation. No grosses equal no actual movie playing. Everybody who claims to have seen it are Netflix paid actors.

First it was “the Oscars are irrelevant because they aren’t nominating blockbusters!” Now it’s “Netflix winning Best Picture is a crime because they don’t report box office numbers!” You really can’t please everybody.

If Cuaron wins the Best Director Oscar (which he is probably likely to do), then that award for 5 of the last 6 years will have been won by one of the Three Amigos (Alfonso Cuarón, Alejandra Ganzález Iñárritu, and Guillermo del Toro). Talk about domination from three terrific Mexican directors.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

**backs away from the box office of Roma craziness** 

My issues with the film aside, Good for it. I personally feel it shouldnt be eligible for BP (foreign films get into their specific field without stateside releases now and again) but I also know that its a minor opinion. 

It wont be a travesty if it wins, but it certainly wont be the best film of the year or even Cuarons best film. 

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

As long as Beale Street wins Score, I don't care what else happens.

Same. Been listening to it often since seeing the movie.

Also: Spider-Man for Animated Feature.

Also will be nice to see Glenn Close finally become an Oscar winner, so there’s that.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

solid noms. my reaction during the announcements:

Roma snub for editing is weird, especially when it got acting noms

Lol at Hurwitz getting snubbed, but good

DAMN at the two huge doc snubs

IF YOU COULD HEAR MY SIGH OF RELIEF AT SPIDERVERSE NOMS LMAO

FUCK YEAH @ CYEFM’s screenplay nom

Lol at Cooper missing director

I would say that three of the four acting categories are legit up in the air right now, which is late in the ballgame for this. Main reason I'll be watching ceremony. I'd say either Malek or Bale can win for Actor (this is a straight toss up if Malek wins SAG), Actress is still a real fight between Colman and Close, and any of the three of King/Adams/Weisz has a case in BSA. Ali is the only lock.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I would say that three of the four acting categories are legit up in the air right now, which is late in the ballgame for this. Main reason I'll be watching ceremony. I'd say either Malek or Bale can win for Actor (this is a straight toss up if Malek wins SAG), Actress is still a real fight between Colman and Close, and any of the three of King/Adams/Weisz has a case in BSA. Ali is the only lock.

Stone not in the mix if Weisz is?

7 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Who are people expecting to win supporting actor?

Ali is steamrolling this. unless SAG and BAFTA go for someone else and throw a bit of suspense (very doubtful), he's winning his second. 

also, King is likely going to recover and win over whoever wins SAG and BAFTA (could be 2 different people). 

Actress is Close vs Colman atm but leaning Close.

Actor is Malek vs Bale.

Are people really complaining about a Roma nomination because Netflix decided to go the route of letting people actually see their movie?

Most limited releases you don’t get a chance to even see until they’re not relevant anymore (unless you live in LA), which is lame.

It’s also the best movie nominated this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1