filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

I'm not going to shed any tears if Black Panther isn't nominated for BP. 

It made money. It's a cultural phenomenon. In 10 years, no one but people like us are going to care what it was nominated for.

Well.

:sparta:

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You know John Bailey would’ve brought back that Popular Oscar bullshit had Black Panther not been nominated.

I think that stupid stunt hurt BP. Without it, it may have gotten better noms such as Adapted. but that dumbass thing put people off. 

anyway, 2 movies audience really love, BP and BR, got noms and that's great. 

Also, why is no one surprised that Ethan Hawke was left out ?

On Metacritic's tabulations he's won by far the most awards, possibly more than the rest combined, and he's not even nominated.

Anyway, IDGAF about the Oscars these days. Too much hypocrisy in Hollywood

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I don't think it is a stupid gesture, Oscar got to nominate the film they think deserve and theater got to choose what the way they define film. Everybody is wining....

And i got a gut feeling that the academy will soon change its rule in the wake of such netflix's strategy. Just like how they did to documentary feature category  

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think that stupid stunt hurt BP. Without it, it may have gotten better noms such as Adapted. but that dumbass thing put people off. 

anyway, 2 movies audience really love, BP and BR, got noms and that's great. 

It probably did the best it could in any circumstance. Its guild performance was worse than The Dark Knight’s was and that was a movie that had an acting frontrunner to give it a boost.

27 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Most interesting decision IMO will be between "I2" and "Spider-Verse" for Best Animated Feature. 

Spider-Verse has the technical geeks agog, but as a movie it's a pretty mess. I2 has its flaws as well. 

It shouldn't even be close if they can see past their bias for Pixar. I2 is a fine movie that's also a complete rehash of what came before. Spider-verse is one the most innovative animated films and CBMs of the decade. And beyond innovation, the execution of it is flawless. Though I am worried, because it seems to be damn near impossible for them to not award Pixar when they're nominated. Cars is the only time Pixar has been nommed and not won.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

spider-verse won the globe and the PGA so it's looking pretty good. i don't think a movie has won both of those and then lost the oscar ever.

"Isle of Dogs" is way better than Spider-Verse, or any other the other nominees.

The technical aspects of SV are, IMO, clouding the fact that as a film it's a real mess. The one reason it might get the Oscar is that none of the other commercial animated films are that great either, e.g., I2 wasn't anywhere close to I1 in quality. 

Isle of Dogs is, but is under the radar.

Edited by SteveJaros