sfran43

Weekend Thread: Miss Bala $650K preview

No big movies

No critically acclaimed Oscar concepts expanding

No openers at all, really

No Moviepass adding to people watching movies just b/c

No ticket deals on any of the online buying sites (Fandango, Atom, Movie Tickets)

A recipe for a disastrous box office weekend...and really an entire box office month...only so many AMC A-listers around who will go out to see things just because right now...there are very few things driving people to the complex and that shows this January...and now 1st weekend of February...

PS - A List has definitely leveled off in its subscriber base...after a huge initial surge, it has only grown by 200K subscribers in the last 3 months (Oct 1 - Jan 1, now sitting at 600K)...EDIT: And best info I can find says Cinemark's 1 movie/month plan has leveled off at 500K...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is Captain Marvel out yet?

To be honest, if Lego 2 and Dragon 3 underperform, I can honestly start to believe it can breakout, not as much as Panther but say $175M-$190M OW due to how barren it’s been. 

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

To be honest, if Lego 2 and Dragon 3 underperform, I can honestly start to believe it can breakout, not as much as Panther but say $175M-$190M OW due to how barren it’s been. 

I've been feeling a Beauty and the Beast-esque opening for a while now and I really can't see why it wouldn't match those numbers at this point given how uneventful the marketplace is and its status as the first true event movie of 2019.

Definitely feels like Captain Marvel will at least be above Hunger Games, even if Lego and/or Dragon overperform. The last major event movie was Aquaman, which will be 3 months old, MCU's the biggest thing in pop culture right now, representation, riding the coattails of Endgame. And again, even if Lego or Dragon overperform, their high end is arguably around the 200M mark. Unless it's godawful, Captain Marvel's got everything going for it.

• Like 1

Glass looks to take $2.6M today, followed by Sony’s Miss Bala with $2.57M, and The Upside with $2.4M. The latter STXfilms/Lantern release will fly past $74M by Sunday.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/miss-bala-fires-up-650k-in-previews-before-heading-into-slow-super-bowl-weekend-1202547407/

Some see the Kevin Hart-Bryan Cranston-Nicole Kidman feel-good movie potentially gaining on Glass is this languid Super Bowl box office period. Right now, averages see Universal’s M. Night Shyamalan movie at $8.7M for the weekend ahead of Upside‘s $8M. It’s still early, and folks will make their way to the movies tomorrow before the Big Game. They won’t be turning out in huge numbers as most of the majors decided to sit out this weekend. 

Sony’s Miss Balawhich is estimated to have a production cost of $15M before P&A, isn’t doing well with an estimated 3-day of $6.5M...

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

LEGO 2: 1:38. Attachments are Shazam! and Detective Pikachu (can confirm bc they were at the advance screening).

Surprising that WB isn't attaching a teaser for Scooby Doo to Lego Movie 2 although it doesn't come out until next year so maybe they're saving it for Shazam or Detective Pikachu.